Uniforms and flight instruction.

popaviator

I've come to realize as of late how goofy I must have looked wearing a captains uniform stepping into a beat to s#*^ 172. I don't do that anymore thank god. A nice pair of pants and a polo shirt tucked in seem to suit me just fine. Even worse are the egos of student pilots. I understand they are excited to be chasing their dreams of one day becoming an airline pilot. But when I see them posting pictures online with duck faces and frosted tips it makes me want to gauge them in the eye with a chopstick

12-07-TnGnt.gif

I wore Dickies work shorts and a short sleeve plaid button up shirt to work yesterday.
#unprofessional
#dangerous

At least you were not one of the ones flying around in flying suits on a Cessna 172.......

Although I posted a picture of myself standing in front of the plane on my long solo XC on Facebook, I do not have frosted tips and I did not make a duck face.

Am I still in the wrong? Hahaha

a guy that went through private ground with me bought a military style flight suit and helmet on eBay, he wore it on all of his solo cross countries.

edit: I just looked up his facebook, he had an old profile pic of him wearing the flight helmet in his bedroom. ell oh ell

When girls squinch their lips out to make a kissy face but they do it so much that it just makes it look exaggerated. Thus, the protruding lips resemble a duck's bill.

a guy that went through private ground with me bought a military style flight suit and helmet on eBay, he wore it on all of his solo cross countries.

Hahahah I wanna do that on my checkride.

When girls squinch their lips out to make a kissy face but they do it so much that it just makes it look exaggerated. Thus, the protruding lips resemble a duck's bill.

Hahahah I wanna do that on my checkride.
Even worse, he wore the helmet on at least one occasion while playing flight sim. I know this because his roommate sent me the picture with the caption "guess who"

Unfortunately for me it's the dress code around here. It seems like it's a marketing ploy for prospective students and airlines that send their students here. I'd say it even brings in some CFI's. I'd be much happier in some shorts when it's in the 110's.

My old school had a uniform ala monkey suit...dumbest thing in the world, especially in AZ. I'm fine with a standard, but let's make it realistic. (Khacki's & a polo, etc.)

I teach weekend warriors and a couple guys who want to slowly work their way to a professional pilot job. I'm independent, but I actually dress slightly better when instructing in the Cessna than I do sitting at my corporate desk job. I try to make sure I have a clean collared shirt and am always clean shaven. At my desk job I often wear a tshirt and may or may not shave, as that's acceptable/expected dress in that culture. There have been many times I've come home from "work" and had to clean up before heading to the airport. Just my personal view of respecting my flight student customers.

Then again I've also flown with instructors in the past who were slobs and left me wondering if they even wanted to be flying and if they really cared about the $150-200/hour I was paying to their employer. That left me with a really bad impression, so I dont want to be "that guy".

I cannot imagine wearing an "airline" style uniform as a CFI, but I know a lot of pilot mills do it to sell the dream. The photos I see of pimple faced kids in ill-fitting shirts with epaulets loading into a Skyhawk look ridiculous to me, but whatever.

I dont care about flight suits, if someone wants to wear one for added safety, whatever floats your boat. But if they are wearing it to obtain some kind of official "look" it usually comes across as being a real tool.

Even worse, he wore the helmet on at least one occasion while playing flight sim. I know this because his roommate sent me the picture with the caption "guess who"

Hahahhaah oh man what a dork. Although, I can't say much.

*sigh* one time in 8th grade, I dressed up in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt plus a tie to play my flight sim. I was simulating a flight from Philly to Frankfurt because my best friend at the time was doing the same flight. I did the flight in real time. The in-flight movie was Aliens. I did not know what I was doing and ran out of fuel over the Atlantic. So I just put in more. Then I crashed on landing.

I had a lot of spare time back then lol

*sigh* one time in 8th grade, I dressed up in a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt plus a tie to play my flight sim. I was simulating a flight from Philly to Frankfurt because my best friend at the time was doing the same flight. I did the flight in real time. The in-flight movie was Aliens. I did not know what I was doing and ran out of fuel over the Atlantic. So I just put in more. Then I crashed on landing.

I would hand fly a Baron from CA to HI at 16x accelerated speed at 50 agl.

I'm at the Madison Renaissance in downtown Seattle and I just laughed so hard that I turned red in the face and kinda got a little embarrassed.

ah yes, Uniforms and flight instructing I was one of the unfortunate ones that got to go full monkey in 115+ phoenix summer heat in a PA-28 that could barley get off the ground. Shorts and a Polo would have been much better, I pleaded this case many times to mgnt. and they never budged.

Now part 135 cargo and same thing, at least this is more of a professional job worthy of the uniform.

My CFI wore jeans and a clean collared shirt to work. This was in Oct/Nov in Wisconsin so it was too cold for shorts, but if he'd been wearing shorts because it was 100 degrees outside I wouldn't have cared.

If he'd looked like a slob that would have reflected poorly on him, but a "uniform" doesn't automatically = professional. If he'd worn ratty jeans and dirty t shirts I probably wouldn't have been impressed by his image, but there's nothing wrong with instructing in a pair of untorn jeans and a polo shirt. A pilot uniform at the CFI level is silly.

Back