Which type rating?

Flyn-Slow-N-Low

I am looking into getting a type rating using VA benefits so spending my money on something more useful and all of that is not really an issue. I would like some guidance or input from some other people on which type they think may be more usefull early in my career if for no other reason than showing an employer my trainability and aptitude. I only have about 500 hrs tt so I probably won't be using it for quite some time. I was thinking King Air 350, but I was really wanting to know are there certain types I could get that would qualify me in several different aircraft such as different model Cessna or Lear jets or something like that.

Depends on your career goals. If you're aiming for corporate aviation, then you're probably on the right track. If you're aiming to be an airline pilot, then the best choice is always the 737 type.

I'm pretty sure the LR-JET type rating covers the 20 series all the way through the 55. I could be wrong though.

LR-JET covers all of them except the 45 & 60, I believe. However I could be wrong.

Going to higher power in Texas? If not, where, I'm curious since I have Post 9/11 education benefits to use also.

With 500 hours total time, you will need to do all or part of the check in the actual aircraft of that type (Reference FAR 61.64). Part of your decision making process needs to include what airplane would you be able to use for the test.

From where you're at, if you do a type in a simulator, it'll be a limited type. To avoid this, you could do a type in the aircraft. I would suggest either CE500 or CE525. There are a few schools around that will do types in the aircraft for around $10k.

The LR-JET type covers all but the 45 and 60, but at 500 hours, you'd REALLY have to know someone to get into the right seat of any Lear.

With 500 hours total time, you will need to do all or part of the check in the actual aircraft of that type (Reference FAR 61.64). Part of your decision making process needs to include what airplane would you be able to use for the test.
I didn't know that. That changes everything a bit.

Depends on your career goals. If you're aiming for corporate aviation, then you're probably on the right track. If you're aiming to be an airline pilot, then the best choice is always the 737 type.

Yes and no on that. Regardless the actual reason, if you apply to a company other than southwest with a 737 type and no time in it, it is probable that it will be thrown in the trash without being looked at. I know DAL has just one click box asking of you have a 737 type. I think that is the delete box. If you show up with that, then it tells them (again, regardless of actual reason) that Southwest was probably your first choice.

From where you're at, if you do a type in a simulator, it'll be a limited type. To avoid this, you could do a type in the aircraft. I would suggest either CE500 or CE525. There are a few schools around that will do types in the aircraft for around $10k.

The LR-JET type covers all but the 45 and 60, but at 500 hours, you'd REALLY have to know someone to get into the right seat of any Lear.
Patrick, if you don't mind my asking, if you had to pick a school in that price range, which would you go to?

I think that's more of a myth than a reality. I've known plenty of people who bought a 737 type who got hired at many carriers other than SWA.

Maybe, however I am not taking the chance. Like working for GoJets...yes they get hired a lot of places...but do you want to take that chance?

Patrick, if you don't mind my asking, if you had to pick a school in that price range, which would you go to?

When I was planning on using Workforce Investment cash on a type about 3 years ago, I was very impressed by the folks at LOFT Aero, which are out in CA. I didn't wind up doing it, but if I ever have to do in the future, those are the guys I'll go with.

I didn't know that. That changes everything a bit.

I'm just throwing this out as a thought, not even as a suggestion. Have you thought about getting an SIC type rating. With your time, you would have a shot at getting a jet SIC job. The SIC type rating would at least get your head in the game.

Here is "a" company that does that. Please understand, I am not endorsing them, I am just using them as an example. It don't know if this company is good, bad, or even still in business.

http://www.learnjets.com/jet-courses/ce-525-citation-jet-sic-type-rating/

That 61.64 is kind of an odd regulation. You could have 10,000 hours of heavy jet PIC time and a half-dozen jet type ratings and still not qualify to do your first turboprop type rating using only a simulator.

Lots of cheap CE500 schools or CE 525 schools, under $10k, a 350 type starts at 15k. Another issue is even if you are typed you may still have to go to "their" school if you get a 135 job.

I fly a KA 350 and am updating our insurance for next year. I asks about getting my occasional copilot listed on the plane. With 1500TT 200ME he would not be insurable for a while.

The only thing that will change that is time in type to offset your low time. Wait till you have an opportunity to put your but in a seat, the, then get typed in that seat. You can then log some SIC or PIC and eventually be PIC.

Can't you use the benefits pursuing ratings/add-ons that that would actually increase your hire-ability, rather than waste it on a useless type rating?
I don't think there is too much more I can add on. I have cfi, ii, mei, tail wheel, high performance. I am not exactly sure what I want to do, but I am sure that I don't want to waste the GI Bill money as I only a few more years to make a decision.

Back