Cherokee 6 questions

badtransam97

Thinking about renting a 6, with the 260hp engine. I was wondering what you guys see as far as cruise speed and fuel burn per hr. What power settings do you normally use for the best overall performance/fuel burn? Thanks for the info..

Haven't flown a 260. Have 200+ hours in 300s. We typically climb at 25"/2500 and cruise at 24"/2400. Burns about 16 an hour in cruise, usually see 120-130 knots depending on weight.

Number one thing about flying a 6 is, remember to switch tanks, especially if you're coming from, say, a 172.

How many people/how much baggage are you planning on taking that you want to fly the Big Six? It's a great airplane but if you're not loading it up it's kind of pointless.

Thanks! It will primarily be used for x/c trips, with 4 adults+baggage, and on occasion a 5th person. I'll continue to rent a 172 or the likes for the "fun" flying..

Thanks! It will primarily be used for x/c trips, with 4 adults+baggage, and on occasion a 5th person. I'll continue to rent a 172 or the likes for the "fun" flying..
The 6 will carry four people plus everything including the kitchen sink. You won't go fast but you'll build time and you won't have to leave stuff behind.

Have fun with your knees in your face.

I'd rather go 20kts slower and do it pimp style.

I never thought it was that bad, and I'm no small dude. Aside from the useful load bit, going faster for cheaper seems a no-brainer for me.

I never thought it was that bad, and I'm no small dude. Aside from the useful load bit, going faster for cheaper seems a no-brainer for me.
Other than fuel, is a mooney really going to be cheaper to rent than a 6? And the OP said he wants 4 (occasionally 5) and bags. A mooney simply won't do that.

That's lousy. Rather have a mooney and leave some stuff behind

The -6 is a truck. Speed, not so great... but you can practically carry that mooney you're so fond of as cargo ;> It'd be rather comical to detail the "stuff" you'd have to leave behind to highlight the difference between the two.

I loved all the time I spent flying the -6. ^^ Just as much as I'm enjoying flying the 252 I've been bouncing around in.

Both fine, fine airplanes.

~Fox

I find the mooney reach to the pedals almost TOO long for me. Knees-in-face, certainly not.

However, the OP wants four, sometimes five. You won't fit even three reasonably sized people in the mooney with anything more than half tanks, so..

~Fox

The mooney's a porsche, the 6 is a suburban.

Check out a 182 also, it'll take the four of you, your stuff and might be cheaper to rent. An RG will also give you another 20kts or so.

The 6 is a great airplane to carry whatever you need. I remember hauling 3-4 people plus baggage and scuba gear to Bimini and other Bahamas' locations. Won't set any speed records but will get the job done. And yes, flare even more than you think you're supposed to.

The Six is a great airplane. There were Piper ads back in the day of them loading an upright piano in the back, and carrying it (legally).

Some of the early -300s had useful loads greater than their empty weights.

Flies like the box it came in, but it hauls the mail.

Richman

1000+ hrs in the PA32, it's a good airplane, uncomfortable seats, but can carry almost as much as a navajo if you don't need to get there quick! They're awesome airplanes. You can take 5 people and all of there stuff legally (generally, someone in Hoonah always tried to give me a run for my money). They're super pitch sensitive, and are pretty much impossible to set on their tail - that said, just because it's not falling on it's tail doesn't mean it's in CG. The airplane flies like • with the CG at the aft limit.

Thanks for all the info guys! After flying it, I see what you mean about the flare! It feels like your gonna drag the tail! I will be flying the owner mostly, but have also worked out a "rental" agreement to use the plane whenever I want to go on a trip or something. This is mainly a part time gig when I'm off hitch from HEMS job. Seems like its gonna be a neat plane to get some hours in, I'm all about trying new things haha!

are pretty much impossible to set on their tail - that said, just because it's not falling on it's tail doesn't mean it's in CG. The airplane flies like with the CG at the aft limit.
You know you've approached the aft CG limit when you take a corner taxiing and have to apply opposite rudder to stop the turn.

You know you've approached the aft CG limit when you take a corner taxiing and have to apply opposite rudder to stop the turn.
You've reached the aft limit, when you had someone hold the tail up while you started it, and under power, it still fell on the tail.

Back