Flying with children

moxiepilot

So today, in coach, it was either my SEA-MSP leg or MSP- PHL leg, a mom had a bouncy, loud chatty kid to manage (ie a normal, I can't sit for 3 hours kid). Best line ever to kid: "you're being a jerk."

I had to laugh out loud.

Children under 18 years should be confined to a separate cabin with a PA of 14,000'.
very relevant :D

<link removed for language>

The Oatmeal's cartoons are funny, but the language far exceeds our profanity filters.

Please mods, just stop.

Really I think we know that a random link on the internet might contain material that some people might find offensive, it is after all... the INTERNET.

[/end Nanny rant]

Yeah, the modding around here has always been heavy-handed. Doug's excuse on the language issue has always been that the various filters will catch the language and filter the site, which makes sense, but I don't see how that can apply to someone linking to another site.

Yeah, the modding around here has always been heavy-handed. Doug's excuse on the language issue has always been that the various filters will catch the language and filter the site, which makes sense, but I don't see how that can apply to someone linking to another site.

Plenty of corporate firewalls will block sites that have links to other sites that somebody in management deems inappropriate. iirc, my old real estate office blocked access to a site that had a link to the state lottery winning numbers. The reason: gambling!

We've removed LOTS of "oatmeal" links. They're funny, I find them absolutely hilarious, but there's profanity in pretty much all of them. Put 'em on your FB account all you want, but not here.

Yes, links with/to profanity get removed. Yes, it's to keep the site off net-nanny links.

Please mods, just stop.

Really I think we know that a random link on the internet might contain material that some people might find offensive, it is after all... the INTERNET.

[/end Nanny rant]

Thats the way it is here, esp in the General Topics section. Lav is a little more liberal.

It may be the internet, but its Doug's website. And those are the current guidelines laid down by him.

Down with Derg!

I have found that bringing the cabin altitude to max in the Beech will calm drunks at night though.

I continue to be perplexed by peoples' hatred toward children when they're in a public setting like flying on an airliner.

There's lots of things I hate about being around other people, but they're an accepted part of being in a place like that. I don't particularly like crying/screaming monster kids in close proximity for hours, either....but I also know that if I want to control the environment that I fly in, I'm free to fork over the cash to charter a Lear and get to my destination in peace and solitude.

I continue to be perplexed by peoples' hatred toward children when they're in a public setting like flying on an airliner.

There's lots of things I hate about being around other people, but they're an accepted part of being in a place like that. I don't particularly like crying/screaming monster kids in close proximity for hours, either....but I also know that if I want to control the environment that I fly in, I'm free to fork over the cash to charter a Lear and get to my destination in peace and solitude.

No one hates a child behaving within the often-elastic and very-subjective social codes that keep us a reasonably polite society. Kids are gonna be kids, sure, but I do think that there are lines which are often crossed. Every situation is different.

I don't have kids, and I've been known to get all GRAR! CHILDREN! sometimes when I'm exhausted, packed into a plane with no a/c and on my way home from a fruitless business endeavor. It's pretty natural - you're a parent and you get that way sometimes too, right? I do like kids. Might even have one someday (we're talking about that...no decisions yet.)

I think it's less about children and more about the inability to have any control over your immediate environment. I would feel the same way if it was an adult acting out (drunk, loud, etc.) too.

Back