Crew Scheduling....

r311music

I have an interview tomorrow for Flight Ops crew scheduling at WN. I'm currently a ramper there and have been for the last seven years. I tried to get into the flight information department a few months ago, but I just missed out on that, so now I'm looking into scheduling. Any way I can get my foot into the door to eventually get into dispatch here.

Most of the information I have found on this site relates to regional airline schedulers. It seems like they are all underpaid, overworked, and have to deal with being short on crews. I was wondering if anyone here has experience in scheduling with a major airline? I assume it's not as bad as the regionals as the pay and staffing seem to be more adequate. I'm just trying to get a little insight on this

Scheduling can be a crappy job depending on the culture and scheduling-crew relationship at your airline. No clue what its like at WN.

On the flip side WN loves to hire dispatchers internally, you would be working in ops with the DX department and get off the ramp. I don't see any possible way that this could be a bad idea. I say take it.

Screw scheduling is a miserable thankless job whether it's mainline or regional. You ruin people's days for a living. That being said, they do work together so it's probably a good idea

I think there is a member of this board who used to work in scheduling at WN before moving to dispatch. If I can locate his name I'll let you know. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to work in scheduling, no matter which airline it was.

I think there is a member of this board who used to work in scheduling at WN before moving to dispatch. If I can locate his name I'll let you know. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to work in scheduling, no matter which airline it was.

I would generally agree but if it meant getting onto WN's new contract in a couple years I could put up with it.

Well... if I could stand living in DFW I would...

I would generally agree but if it meant getting onto WN's new contract in a couple years I could put up with it.

Well... if I could stand living in DFW I would...

Yea that's another issue...I don't know how I feel about living in Dallas, but then again if I want to move up at WN, it's my only choice.

Yea that's another issue...I don't know how I feel about living in Dallas, but then again if I want to move up at WN, it's my only choice.

DX makes fantastic money there. If you can stomach DFW and get on with DX you'll be in a very, very good place.

As a former scheduler I can tell you that there is no job in the airline industry that is as hated as scheduling. Crew members believe you are screwing with their lives, when in fact you are only doing your job. It is not schedulings fault that their contract is the way it is. Whether at a regional or major.. Crews are always short and you have to be a creative thinker. With that said, working in the OCC is certainly a good way to get your foot in the door if you are trying to move over to dispatch. You work with your hub coordinators as well as your OCC managers and up. Take the job you will certainly get some good experience.

As a former scheduler I can tell you that there is no job in the airline industry that is as hated as scheduling. Crew members believe you are screwing with their lives, when in fact you are only doing your job. It is not schedulings fault that their contract is the way it is. Whether at a regional or major.

It's not that simple. It really depends on how your operations management decide the company should be run. Ours is terrible and they choose to exploit the contract to every extent possible with no regard for people or QOL. Some airlines aren't so bad and some work really well with their crews. Don't blind yourself to the fact that there are different ways to do business rather than screwing people.

Dude.... If you've been living in Orlando working Ramp.... I can't imagine you wouldn't be much happier in Dallas. YMMV and Dallas isn't necessarily my most favorite city but there is certainly much more to do and a much higher quality of population IMHO. I spent 5 years of my life in Central Florida and was more than happy to get out. If it also means bettering your situation career wise it should not be a hard decision.

Again YMMV but I think its the better way to go. Good luck.

Back