Interview

womanpilot73

Hey all...

I'm heading into week 5 at dispatch school and have my first interview in a few weeks. Just wondering if you seasoned dispatchers can give me some advice/tips on having a successful interview? Any feedback is appreciated!

Firstly, congrats. Then check out aviationinterviews.com and read through a few gouges. Some companies really care about weather, some don't. Most will grill you on Jepp charts.

Where are you interviewing? 121 vs. 135 could make a big difference.

From my in person interviews, I was generally asked:
-Tell me about yourself,
-What made you become a dispatcher,
-Read a METAR/TAF,
-Define a few terms,
-Scenarios(if this is the wx and a flight is to arrive at this time, is it legal?)
Some were asked by the recruiter others where on a "test"

Even if you are not too hot about the job or company, I'd still interview just for the experience. My $0.02

My advice would be to really study up on the 121 supplemental differences. In theory most interviewers will know that you can read a METAR/TAF etc etc. So while they'll probably ask you about it, it shouldn't be very in-depth.

Things to Think About
1) Who has Operational Control at a 121 supplemental?
2) Does OPSPEC C070 exist in a 121 supplemental only carrier's OPSPECS?
3) Is an alternate always required for all 121 supplemental flights?
- This one may trick you based on question # 2...... the answer however is actually NO. There are two ways to release a 121 supplemental flight without an alternate.

4) Proper nomenclature is a plus...... Is it a dispatch release or flight release?
- FAR 121.687 vs FAR 121.689

5) Work rules/duty time

Just my personal opinion simply because anyone can read a METAR but going in with a working knowledge of the regulation that the company is operating under is totally different.

Also, if you have any flight time be prepared to talk about it. I know Mesa used to require a private pilot's license and Atlas was asking about any failed checkrides if the interviewee had any licenses/ratings.

Good luck! I think you'll love it at RYN!

3) Is an alternate always required for all 121 supplemental flights?
- This one may trick you based on question # 2...... the answer however is actually NO. There are two ways to release a 121 supplemental flight without an alternate.

Good luck! I think you'll love it at RYN!

g767, please elaborate. Are you referring to 121.623 b)/121.645 c)?

Yes, one is Island/2 hour reserves. The key word is what I underlined in #2 for the second scenario.

The second way is a 121 domestic/flag/supplemental carrier operating a 121 supplemental flight to a destination contained within their C070. If that is the case and all "no alternate required" rules are met, the flight can be released without an alternate. You should see this wording in most every FOM/GOM.

For example, say United is flying The Bears to SFO to play the 49ers. So long as either the 1-2-3 rule or 1-1-3/1-1-2 rules are met, the flight can be released without an alternate.

This really isn't applicable to Ryan but still a nice piece of 121 knowledge to have when going into an interview like this. Though it isn't as important as 2hr reserves.

Yes, one is Island/2 hour reserves. The key word is what I underlined in #2 for the second scenario.

The second way is a 121 domestic/flag/supplemental carrier operating a 121 supplemental flight to a destination contained within their C070. If that is the case and all "no alternate required" rules are met, the flight can be released without an alternate. You should see this wording in most every FOM/GOM.

For example, say United is flying The Bears to SFO to play the 49ers. So long as either the 1-2-3 rule or 1-1-3/1-1-2 rules are met, the flight can be released without an alternate.

This really isn't applicable to Ryan but still a nice piece of 121 knowledge to have when going into an interview like this. Though it isn't as important as 2hr reserves.

Can anyone else comment on this? 121.619/121.621, the "no alternate required" rules are for domestic and flag ops, but not supplemental. GOM/FOM's do not supercede FAA regs without an authorized exemption/deviation in your company Ops Specs. Not saying he's wrong in the slightest, just curious and trying to clarify. You guys all do this every day, so what say you? The only opinion I'll offer is that I think it's a BS interview question.

It is a BS question but I'm just throwing it out there...... I'll get home tonight and post the exact wording. On my droid right now out of town.

Just suggest starting a new topic though as to not hide the OPs reason for this thread.

Can anyone else comment on this? 121.619/121.621, the "no alternate required" rules are for domestic and flag ops, but not supplemental. GOM/FOM's do not supercede FAA regs without an authorized exemption/deviation in your company Ops Specs. Not saying he's wrong in the slightest, just curious and trying to clarify. You guys all do this every day, so what say you? The only opinion I'll offer is that I think it's a BS interview question.

from our Ops Specs, paragraph A030:

a. The certificate holder may conduct nonscheduled operations between the airports listed in paragraph C070 of these operations specifications in accordance with the regulations applicable to domestic operations or flag operations as appropriate to the kind of operation being conducted.

So, technically, yes. It's possible to conduct "Supplemental" operations under this rule if you have a domestic/flag certificate under the applicable regs. However, and this doesn't mean it's correct, we conduct "charters" under flag/domestic rules if the airports are covered in C70.

And I agree, it'd be a BS question in an interview. As far as advice, my first dispatch job (for a supplemental carrier) involved no dispatch questions, more like character and background stuff. The manager assumed (and I hate that word) that if you had a license you knew the basics well enough to be taught specificson how they do things. In subsequent interviews, I actually got to technical questions as a measure of experience, but nothing that was too in depth or tricky.

Exactly..... It just offers flexibility. Especially when the departure airport is from a non-C070 to a C070 airport.

I only brought up these questions since you're interviewing at a 121 supplemental carrier. However, I've had a similar experience as McCrosky at my two supp interviews. If nothing else, being able to answer some questions might be the icing on the cake.

Thank you guys...I appreciate the feedback and advice. Interesting points to consider! Btw...not to sound like an total rookie, but what is C70? We are delving into regs this week at school so it's a term I haven't learned yet. It will certainly help me make more sense of your posts! Lol...

Thanks again :)

Operations Specification C070 is one of the important OPSPECs. It basically is the airports a 121 domestic/flag have evaluated and can use.

What did we do before we got emails on our phones :D

Thank you guys...I appreciate the feedback and advice. Interesting points to consider! Btw...not to sound like an total rookie, but what is C70? We are delving into regs this week at school so it's a term I haven't learned yet. It will certainly help me make more sense of your posts! Lol...

Thanks again :)

C070 refers to a "paragraph" in the ops specs that list airports the airline is authorized to serve as a scheduled carrier. Also list refueling and provisional airports (and sometimes authorized alternates depending on how the FAA is feeling these days). Pure supplemental carriers won't have a C070 sine they do not run scheduled ops. You should cover it when you start dooms Ops Specs stuff in class.

Couple of former coworkers (and I think former mgr) of mine work up at RYN. Seem to like it last I talked them.

I would also suggest remembering the 121 supplemental fuel requirements. Also are you taking the ETOPS class? That would help you with Ryan.

They understand you just coming out of class and not knowing everything to know about dispatching. But a good thing will to show initiative and willingness to learn.

Oh ok...thanks for the explanation. We have talked about it in a roundabout way but these last two weeks, op specs and regs will be a big focus. So much to learn...so little time... :)

Squirrel...I'm not taking the ETOPS course, on recommendation of many from JC, as well as a current dispatcher @ Ryan. Thanks tho...

That would help you with Ryan
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that :)

Again, good luck on the interview! If you're somehwhat over prepared it will feel like a non-issue.

Back