DOTCOM

PA44totracon

Sorry if this have BP, but I did not find anything using the search function. What is the deal with this company that allows you to file a flight plan online and then generates a secret call sign for you. From what I can gather it does not allow any online resource (flight aware) to track an aircraft during a flight. I have seen several DCM call signs over the last few weeks and was just wondering if anyone had any information about this. Thanks.

Believe it's a new service offered by fltpln.com so that any super secret corporation or individual can protect the movement of their aircraft. Quite the debate going on within the Corporate aviation circles regarding privacy.

yes. it is a new service from fltplan.com and it aint free.

i feel an aircraft operator/owner has every right to their privacy and this is wonderful way for them to get that privacy

I have been curious about the "Dotcom" call sign myself. It seemed like out of no where I heard it a lot on the radios. Recently I saw a Lear that is based at the airport and just chalked it up to the company getting a call sign, but it sound like that is not the case.

Personally, I don't think privacy is something you should have to pay for.

:yeahthat:

The DotCom call signs are a direct result of the BARR court battle. The push from the White House via The Department of Transportation is for open records of ALL aircraft movement (unless Gov protected). The DCM call signs are a loophole in the rules. This is one loophole that I both agree with and have used myself.

It's something we use ALL the time. Fltplan.com holds a callsign at the FAA level, similiar to the way Mesa Airlines ("Air Shuttle") does, and extends the opportunity to their customers. Fortunately, we have the ability to use the callsign, or the actual tail number. There are times when we are going somewhere and the owner doesn't want anyone to know he's going there. Usually, the DCM callsign is for our owner flights, only, and the normal N number registration callsign when we have anyone else on board. It isn't cheap, though, but then again, considering the ease of service, it is actually very affordable. Cheaper than a ramp fee at some airports. $250.00/year/aircraft. IE N12345-$250, N12346-$250, etc, etc, etc... They can block your tail number in about three hours, too, which is great, and they assign you a callsign. IE N12345 COULD be DCM348 (something random), or "Dotcom 348" when you're calling into ATC.

It's a great service, in my opinion. The level of privacy suits our owner's needs well.
Go to www.fltplan.com if you want to do it. Right now, there are obvious links to it on the website.

So they are charging for it now? When they rolled it out, it was free to existing customers. I wonder if the other Service Providers are going to jump on the bandwagon as well. I think Universal and ARI have call signs assigned to them as well.

I believe it is free to have your number blocked by the FAA so that it's not transmitted out to external systems.

I think the "pay" programs are the ones where instead of just having the FAA not transmit it, you instead get a call sign from a provider and use that instead.

But I could be wrong, I've no experience with either.

Under the BARR program the FAA would not release your number. Now that the program is no more, they will.

Under the BARR program the FAA would not release your number. Now that the program is no more, they will.

Interesting news release today from the FAA is that people can now join BARR and not have to justify it, if you want privacy... you get it.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=13259

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced today that, effective immediately, general aviation or on-demand charter aircraft owners or operators seeking to keep their aircraft’s registration number from being displayed over public data systems during flight no longer need to submit a Certified Security Concern to the FAA.

Ok, we have a DOTCOM 666 Heavy with a DOTCOM 666 Super, sir! Thanks for shopping at the FAA. Did you want to join our mailing list for coupons, special deals and loads of spam?

Ok, we have a DOTCOM 666 Heavy with a DOTCOM 666 Super, sir! Thanks for shopping at the FAA. Did you want to join our mailing list for coupons, special deals and loads of spam?

Only if they include lots of pertinent information about flying into Washington DC ADIZ.

Back