With a sad heart...

I still can't get over the fact that he won't be writing anymore about flying some unusual aircraft, or battling crosswinds in the Swift, or the days when the airlines were "a free jet ride to the next party".

I still can't get over the fact that he won't be writing anymore about flying some unusual aircraft, or battling crosswinds in the Swift, or the days when the airlines were "a free jet ride to the next party".

That quote really stuck with me too, I was just thinking about it today!

WOW I had no idea that OrangeAnchor had done SOOO much... there were a few times I had asked some advice questions in the open forum, and John would send me a PM giving me advice. I was always thankful for this, as I knew that he had obviously done a lot just based on the quality of advice he gave. It's with a sad heart that I read of all his accomplishments.
Godspeed OrangeAnchor

Insane, 65 is so young to die. He was a formidable opponent in the lavatory and a wealth of knowledge. Condolences to his family.

Free burger if someone can tell me what it meant.

Just saw this thread. John was one of the first guys I befriended here and I'm devastated to hear this. Mike from John himself in a PM

One point.. the name Orange Anchor is not naval.. in Thailand and around Southeast Asia, there were a number of holding patterns where we parked the tankers and waited for the fighters to come and get fuel. There were anchors in Thailand (Peach, Orange, Apple and a few others), anchors in/near Vietnam (Red, White and Blue) and anchors just north of the DMZ and one between Hainan and Haiphong called the Purple and Purple North.

I chose Orange Anchor because I spent more than a few hours driving around that holding pattern and area refueling F-105s, F-4s, F-100s and occasionally some RB or EB-66s.

Wow. We corresponded a few times here on light topics and he gave me good advice on a specific situation I was in with the military, I knew he was a vet but I had no idea a Vietnam vet or the other specifics of his career. He seemed like a great guy and with a career like that, I know its this type of person and character that pushes our country forward so liberty can carry on, thanks to men like John who are willing to step up to the plate for all of us. RIP, friend.

Wow, what horrible news. I always looked to his posts as they carried a wealth of information, and a lot of first hand experience behind it. We got into a little bit of a political debate a few weeks ago, but he was one of the few guys, I was still excited to hear from even after we disagreed. John, thanks for your service, and may you now fly without any craft! You will be GREATLY missed sir!

Damn that is terrible news. He was such a valuable asset to everyone he was associated with. May he rest in peace. Tailwinds, OA...

Wow, that's a bummer. OA's posts were always intelligent and insightful, he was a great asset to the community. As far as I could see he managed to be liked and respected by everyone on here which is no small feat.

Blue skies and tailwinds.

I really didn't want to open this thread when I saw the title... :(

Such a sad loss. I really enjoyed reading what he had to say here.

I heard about this a few days ago but haven't had a chance to visit JC until today. This is horrible. I learned so much from him, exchanged some PMs in which he taught me A LOT about writing. Nothing but great advice from him. Its a huge loss to our community as he was one of the best resources we had here for a lot of things. I wish his family the best, and I hope his words continue to inspire and educate others.

Damn it.

Never had a chance to buy the man a drink. How honored I really would have been to have been able to accomplish such a small act for such a giant man.

Had no clue about his history, not like he was out in the open about it - and to an extent I can understand.

Tailwinds my friend, we shall all meet once again on the horizon to the west.

Back