Split ALPA into a Regional and a Mainline Unit?

I really have no idea. I haven't seen many discussions of it on the DALPA forum side and I'm so far out of the loop up here in NY, I couldn't even tell ya.

I think the time is right though. We're "42% Less Bubba" now so might as well wrap everyone under the same umbrella and move forward.

Have a single training standard, single contract, single seniority list, etc.

Where this thread is headed:

:deadhorse:

:whip:

:argue:

:insane:

:deadhorse:

:argue:

:chair::panic::soapbox::tease:

:banghead:

My only input: SCOPE to be redefined to one list, one CBA. All equipment.

Now, time for :pop:

I really have no idea. I haven't seen many discussions of it on the DALPA forum side and I'm so far out of the loop up here in NY, I couldn't even tell ya.

I think the time is right though. We're "42% Less Bubba" now so might as well wrap everyone under the same umbrella and move forward.

Have a single training standard, single contract, single seniority list, etc.

When do you want to start the lobbying efforts? A media blitz about substandard training methods, substandard pilot congrats and substandard seniority rules combined with the last few part 121 crashes being at regionals would be fodder for Senators to write this kind of law.

When do you want to start the lobbying efforts? A media blitz about substandard training methods, substandard pilot congrats and substandard seniority rules combined with the last few part 121 crashes being at regionals would be fodder for Senators to write this kind of law.

I'm in, I personally know a future U.S. Senator (yes I'm calling the election because it will be a midterm landslide) and would love to be part of the solution.

I'd love to see a situation where if you buy a ticket on CAL to fly from PHX-IAH-DCA, it's flown on Continental equipment with Continental pilots.

There may be a segment on a ERJ and one on a 757, but have every bit of equipment flown by a single seniority list.

But then, we're talking about the ATA losing it's ability to whipsaw carriers against once another and lost leverage. It'd also make for a stronger union an ultimately better benefits industry-wide.

The sad thing is the one airline that this could work at, ALPA would like it happen. :banghead::banghead:

Oh, I understand now. That's sad because it'd be a win-win for both AA and AE. So some of the dues dollars are lost, but it can serve as a template for other carriers and ultimately bring about a positive change for the industry.

I'd say any part 121 airline that owns another part 121 airline would be a good candidate for one list, one CBA.

:deadhorse: (That's for my own repetition)

I still can't get over how an airplane that has (MAINLINE) in huge block letters on the side of it can be operated by a company has no association whatsoever with them. Ridiculous... that's why regionals are now career carriers, yet the companies get away with whipsawing employee groups and keeping wages low - gotta keep costs down to hold onto that contract with (MAINLINE)!!

Still wondering when my RAA industry average wage kicks in.

The media and general public wont care one bit about work rules, seniority, crashes, etc. There are just as many mistakes happening at the majors these days than at the regionals.

The public perception of pilots is still sub-reality.

The last thing that ALPA wants to do is make a charity case for themselves. Especially, in the wake of a recession.

The media and general public wont care one bit about work rules, seniority, crashes, etc. There are just as many mistakes happening at the majors these days than at the regionals.

The public perception of pilots is still sub-reality.

The last thing that ALPA wants to do is make a charity case for themselves. Especially, in the wake of a recession.

Agree. The public doesn't care. And no matter how bad airline pilots try to demonstrate their plight, the public will only think of pilots being better off than themselves because "they're flying those expensive jets".

Mr. Josslin is just another perfect example of a pilot that has too much thrust and not enough vector. He has all of this energy for change, but he has no idea what he's talking about, so he comes up with some crazy radical ideas that he himself would probably realize are asinine if he just sat down and discussed them with someone who isn't completely clueless.

Unfortunately, this problem probably originates with the leadership at the top of Delta ALPA, which operates more like a dictatorship than a democracy. The whole way of doing business needs to change over there.

DAL peeps... I've said it before and I'll say it again... Ya'll NEED to get your house in order right quick like.

Amen.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about how ALPA works from the inside.

IMHO, the distinction between "regional" pilots and "mainline" pilots is the main problem with how pilots are treated in this industry.

Mr. Josslin is just another perfect example of a pilot that has too much thrust and not enough vector.

The weird thing is is that he actually used to be a committee chair (P2P) so he should know better. Generally, I agree with much of his thoughts on the DALPA forum and seemed to have his head screwed on right. This resolution is a huge surprise coming from him.

I spent some time reading the AAA forum before they left ALPA and man, it makes this place and Flight Info look like the kiddies sandbox. I'm guessing DALPA's forum is about the same?

Unfortunately, this problem probably originates with the leadership at the top of Delta ALPA, which operates more like a dictatorship than a democracy. The whole way of doing business needs to change over there.

Amen.

Moak is doing his best to curry favor with the FFD crowd and will be at National along with his lieutenants.

If you think DALPA's "top down" now, just you wait until he starts running the national union.

Bad idea.

Mainline pilots are the reason the industry is what it is now. If they had been more proactive (yes, hindsight is 20/20) in keeping scope, or at least helping to push for better pay, work rules, etc at regionals, there would be less outsourcing because it wouldn't be THAT much cheaper.

A union isn't a union unless we all work together. ALPA doesn't do this very well, dividing it would only make it worse.

Back