Garmin G3000

I wonder if there'll be an option to revert to softkeys/joystick/knob controls in the event that touchscreen control becomes impractical such as in turbulence.

I thought that was what the GTC controller was for. If they can select the different information though those then it would be harder but at least you would be able to. But I am probably talking out of my butt with that one.

I thought that was what the GTC controller was for. If they can select the different information though those then it would be harder but at least you would be able to. But I am probably talking out of my butt with that one.

" The touchscreen function happens on a pair of what Garmin calls GTC570 vehicle management systems, which live below the screens on a pedestal mount. These are actually smaller display screens that have touch-controlled operating menus with logic similar to computers, including "back" and "home" functions to simply operation. There are some knobs and buttons, including one for radio volume, and also a joystick for map navigation. "

It sounds like it has some knobs and buttons, but possibly not enough to completely duplicate the touchscreen controls in the event you can't accurately use the touchscreen.

Seems nice, but the crap about the laser technology touch screen part seemed a little dumb. They should just call up apple and find out how apple does it since the only thing that makes the iphone work is your finger, period. So no worry about objects falling on it like the example he gave.

Maybe it has some cool features, it was quite obvious if it did that guy wasn't briefed on them.

I like it a lot. But if you lost one or both of those.... YOU better know what you are doing and thus you cannot ignore the old steam instruments...

Looks pretty cool but it's things like this that worry me about making piloting an aircraft too easy.

Got my answer.

Innovative Avionics Suite Incorporates Touchscreen Technology

ANN REALTIME UPDATE, 1212 EDT, 10.20.09: In remarks associated with the introduction of the Garmin G3000 at NBA2009, Piper officials surprised a number of folks attending with the revelation that the company plans a 50% increase in production numbers for 2010. Also; Piper's John Becker has confirmed that the passive thrust corrective system (designed by Williams) has resulted in a design that will not only not require any stability augmentation but that the aircraft will keep a fixed stabilizer -- calling the current pitch/power issues 'as good as any of the aircraft in the PA46 line.'

Original Report: Piper has announced that the PiperJet will be among the first to deploy the new Garmin G3000 - the world's first touchscreen-controlled integrated FlightDeck for turbine aircraft.

"The PiperJet is an amazing aircraft with a unique blend of capabilities that makes it the best-in-class choice for pilots focused on performance, style, utility, capability and pricing," said Piper President John D. Becker, who led the engineering team that brought the PiperJet from concept to first-flight and beyond. "We have a long and rich relationship with Garmin, and our choice builds on that legacy while incorporating avionics excellence equal to the PiperJet's promise."

Designed specifically for Part 23 turbine aircraft, the G3000 is Garmin's evolutionary leap forward in taking glass avionics to a much higher level. It seamlessly integrates numerous Garmin-designed system components into an easy-to-use FlightDeck, the heart of which is the all new GTC 570 vehicle management system: a 5.7-inch diagonal touchscreen controller that uses a desktop-like menu interface with intuitive icons. The console-mounted GTC 570 allows full control of radios, audio management, flight management, weather systems management, synoptics (graphical systems displays) and other key vehicle systems.

"The PiperJet's revolutionary design and impressive performance have positioned it to be another great Piper aircraft," said Gary Kelley, Garmin's Vice President of Marketing. "We are proud to continue playing a vital role on the PiperJet team with what we believe will be one of the most intuitive and powerful FlightDeck systems ever designed for Part 23 turbine aircraft."

The PiperJet team emphasized that the G3000's focus on being intuitive is key to melding with the PiperJet's focus on avoiding needless complexity and enhancing user-friendliness. With an icon-driven interface that leverages the experience Garmin gained by designing and delivering millions of automotive consumer products, the G3000 will play an integral role in making the PiperJet second to none.

By eliminating buttons, switches, and extraneous knobs, the touchscreen G3000 relies on common sense functions that have been the mainstay of cutting-edge smart-screen technology in consumer electronics. In effect, the G3000 lets pilots quickly retrace their steps or alternatively return to the home screen. The system has gone to great lengths to ensure simplicity in operation.

"PiperJet pilots will have the ability to reach out and touch real-time information," said Becker. "Gone will be the days of looking for cursors and cryptic confusing menus that lead to heavy pilot workloads."

The G3000 adds significantly to state-of-the-art safety measures featured in the PiperJet's design. With its strong, smooth all-metal body, the PiperJet is capable of reaching a cruising speed of 360 knots and a maximum operating altitude of 35,000 feet. The six passenger PiperJet - with an option for either a seventh seat or enclosable lavatory - offers a range of 1,300 nautical miles and a full-fuel payload of 800 lbs.

The PiperJet proof-of-concept aircraft continues to advance through various stages of flight testing. To date the aircraft has logged in excess of 230 hours of flight time and 160 flights.

From Flight Into Known Icing (FIKI) to FADEC, Piper says that the PiperJet's focus is on optimal operational excellence, user-friendliness, and safety. Configured to be flown by a single pilot, the PiperJet will be certified in the Normal Category under FAA Part 23 and applicable foreign certification standards. It will also be RVSM certified. The PiperJet will be certified to a maximum operating altitude well above the weather while combining performance with the latest safety technologies and features.

I like it a lot. But if you lost one or both of those.... YOU better know what you are doing and thus you cannot ignore the old steam instruments...

I agree. I'd never advocate starting initial flight training in a glass-equipped airplane. It's definitely important to create a firm steam-gauge foundation prior to transitioning. That said, it seems the redundancies built in to these systems makes failures very, very unlikely.

It looks cool/futuristic, but the G-1000 is already so fast this almost seems like a sales gimmick, instead of improvement. I could be wrong though, I I'll report back in 2019.

Back