Ambien Disqualifying for Pilots?

LoadMasterC141

I thought I read that Ambien was not disqualifying for medical certification for pilots?

A student just went to get his Medical and said he was taking Ambien. The doctor disqualified him and told him he could not obtain a medical while on the drug.

Ambien can be used no more than 2 times a week. It is primarily approved for long-haul pilots. They must be off the Ambien for 24 hours before flying.

It is DQ because of the prolonged elimination time for the controlled release form of the drug.

These drugs induce sllep and can therefore slow reflexes and reaction time as well as reduce cognitive function. That is why there is a time limit from the last dose to the cockpit.

It is DQ because of the prolonged elimination time for the controlled release form of the drug.

These drugs induce sllep and can therefore slow reflexes and reaction time as well as reduce cognitive function. That is why there is a time limit from the last dose to the cockpit.

But you said CR is DQ and thus no time limit from ingestion to being able to fly.

What is the time for the body to flush CR?

But you said CR is DQ and thus no time limit from ingestion to being able to fly.

Well it is just Ambien in a pill that releases it more slowly overnight to keep you asleep. So if you figure 24 hrs for regular Ambien and add another 8 or so for the duration of action you get like 32 maybe round up to 48 to be sure.

Well it is just Ambien in a pill that releases it more slowly overnight to keep you asleep. So if you figure 24 hrs for regular Ambien and add another 8 or so for the duration of action you get like 32 maybe round up to 48 to be sure.

Not what he said. Ambien.. limited to twice a week AND 24hrs before flight. CR.. disqualifying. Nothing said about numbers or hours after. Just disqualifying.

You just have to live with the rules they put in place. Obviously, the Federal Air Surgeon and his consultants are more knowledgeable than non-aerospace medicine folks on the effects and complications of these drugs.:banghead:

Not what he said. Ambien.. limited to twice a week AND 24hrs before flight. CR.. disqualifying. Nothing said about numbers or hours after. Just disqualifying.

Orange Anchor said:

I was replying to you, specifically the above comment, not him and have no knowledge on the effects or complications of these drugs. Nor do I know anything about the repercussions for using a DQ'd medication and how long you would have to wait, or what you would have to do before flying. I was talking to how long it would take for your body to metabolize them completely. (Which would probably be much less than what I guessed.) Specifically I was mentioning that since CR is the same chemical released over a period of time (compared to "all at once" with regular ambien) that after the "continual release" finished the time for it to be flushed would be the same as regular ambien. I was only making the comment as an aside based on my interest in organic chemistry. Sorry for the confusion.

You just have to live with the rules they put in place. Obviously, the Federal Air Surgeon and his consultants are more knowledgeable than non-aerospace medicine folks on the effects and complications of these drugs.:banghead:

No head bangs. I realize CR is time released and I also realize that it is a DQ. But it would seem that if Ambien were acceptable (which it is) that CR would also be acceptable but with a tighter restriction. I am not trying to pit the street or the cockpit against the experts. Just asking questions or is that like Ambien.. only two questions a week and not within 24 hrs of flight? :)

Okay so a little off subject. But why are sleep aids so looked down upon when it comes to pilots as long as they are taken correctly? And further more what prevents a pilot from going out an self dosing on just some Nyquil? I am a firm believer in fitness and exercise to help regulate sleep and allow the body to wind down, works better than a beer or pill after a long day of instructing for me. However sometimes that is not practical due to the location of an overnight.

Nyquil is an antihistamine and thus is DQ. Sleeping aids affect pilot's cognitive functioning and reaction times, thus creating a danger to flight. One can self-dose but they are violating the regs.

Back