Corrective Eye Surgery

Fly-Til-I-Die24-7

What are the acceptable forms of corrective eye surgery for military pilots? I heard it was PRK and if so is it true that after this procedure you are restricted from flying for 6 months in the civilian side as well?

What are the acceptable forms of corrective eye surgery for military pilots? I heard it was PRK and if so is it true that after this procedure you are restricted from flying for 6 months in the civilian side as well?

I had a student, he got eye surgery before getting his medical. Is medical does say he needs to carry glasses, that because getting back to 20/20 it's progressive, the doctor told him that at the next medical he will be fine and he will not have that written on the medical anymore....hope this helps

I think military is more strict about it, but not sure

The standards do vary between the services. There is so much criteria, I can't possibly cover it all here in one post. I suggest going to

http://www.baseops.net

and going to the medical section. You'll find a "sticky" that contains the latest info regarding "vision standards" for all the services. Good luck!

I would under no circumstances go out and try to get corrective eye surgery if you want to be a military pilot. There are so many special rules, it is better to wait until you have a slot and they do it for you.

Back