Smallest Known Ice Approved Airplane?

I'd be willing to bet money the FIKI SR-22 is in the top 3, if not at the top itself.

Lots of 210's with it but I'm sure there is some sort of outlandish airplane that is.

I'd toss a Mooney in there. Bonanzas are a little bigger and require an STC. Probably the SR22 or Mooney.

-mini

There are STC's for 182's and some older mooneys. I bet that's about as small as it gets. I tried looking for some 172's but no bueno.

Only the newest SR22's are actually certified for known icing (or have that option), from what I understand.
That's how I understand it also. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cirrus come up with a way to fit the older stuff with the larger panels, bigger reservoir, yadda yadda.

-mini

That's how I understand it also. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Cirrus come up with a way to fit the older stuff with the larger panels, bigger reservoir, yadda yadda.

-mini

Nope, The older ones are not gonna be certified. Cirrus dropped that option because they would have had to redesign almost everything.

I flown the new Cirrus's into ice. The TKS system works really well. Better then the small twins I flew that had boots. As long as you turn it on several minutes BEFORE getting into ice, AND IF you have plenty of fluid. I was surprised how well the TKS system took off a thin layer of ice if you did not get it turned on in time. (Cirrus's dont handle ice to well if it did build up because of the wing design. I wont ever cruise in ice, but its good to get above or below layers)

(oh, and I dont know if you can get a FIKI Cirrus for under $550,000)

The 182s aren't "known ice" STCs though. Just "get me outa trouble cuz I eff'd up" TKS systems.

More info here http://www.weepingwings.com/mx/hm.asp?id=ourproducts

-mini

A 182 with the TKS STC diverted to my home airport while I was working the line. Never seen someone so white and scared. The airplane had maybe 2-3 inches of Ice on it and he credited the TKS for saving his life. (although it looked like the ice totally overwhelmed the system) That same night a Baron went down due to ice. Scary stuff

(Cirrus's dont handle ice to well if it did build up because of the wing design. I wont ever cruise in ice, but its good to get above or below layers)

There is a reason they call TKS anti-icing equipment instead of de-icing. Works great till you run out of fluid. also a pain on small aircraft that are already somewhat weight restricte as is.

...The TKS system works really well. Better then the small twins I flew that had boots. As long as you turn it on several minutes BEFORE getting into ice, AND IF you have plenty of fluid. I was surprised how well the TKS system took off a thin layer of ice if you did not get it turned on in time.

To anyone that has flown through icing in TKS, this is a duh statement. Not saying anything else but that. If you are looking to fly in icing, I would trust my life with TKS before boots any day. There are two rules to TKS flying and you have just stated both.

There is a reason they call TKS anti-icing equipment instead of de-icing. Works great till you run out of fluid. also a pain on small aircraft that are already somewhat weight restricte as is.

TKS can be hard to find as well. Look to see how much the fluid costs and that is why most people don't have it. Just my guess. I have been through some pretty bad stuff and the TKS has kept me safe day in and day out.

TKS can be hard to find as well. Look to see how much the fluid costs and that is why most people don't have it. Just my guess. I have been through some pretty bad stuff and the TKS has kept me safe day in and day out.

I have a case of TKS in the back of my Suburban, and thats where it stays just for that reason. I fly several TKS planes and never know when I might need some.

Ditto. I like keeping ice off of the aircraft rather than letting it build and then remove some of it.

-mini

Especially when they inflate at half-speed above 5000', and the inboard boot is inflated all the time anyway.

Back