Day to Day at the Academy

The academy isn't that bad. Just do your time there & look forward to what lies ahead. Once you finish you have a great job waiting for you.

I'm not trying to make the academy seem tough. It's really not, I'm just explaining the day to day at the academy. The instructors are great and everyone in my class is smart. Just pay attention in class, review, and everyone should do fine. There isn't one person in my class that doesn't realize the opportunity that they have and we're all excited about our new career. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Academy.

I'm not trying to make the academy seem tough. It's really not, I'm just explaining the day to day at the academy. The instructors are great and everyone in my class is smart. Just pay attention in class, review, and everyone should do fine. There isn't one person in my class that doesn't realize the opportunity that they have and we're all excited about our new career. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Academy.
Questions about the academy?!?!? Heck, I'm going crazy just trying to get an at-sat test date. :insane: It seems like everyone has gotten one but me. If I practice one more atc scenario online without a test date, I'm checking myself into a psych ward.

The academy isn't toobad. Just do your time there, study your .65, SOP, LOA's, freqs, NAVAIDs, airways, sectors & look forward to what lies ahead. Once you finish you have a greatER oppurtunity for you.
If OKC crap is too boring for you, go to SkyVector.com and FlightAware.com to study your facility crap. Learn your RNAV, departures, arrivals, approaches, airway, VFR reporting points, waypoints, etc...

Do not memorize your facility maps, unless you have training materials from your facil and you know that this what you need to memorize for sure. Otherwise you will memorize a lot of things which you don't need to know.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out here.. I'm starting the long drive to OKC this weekend and haven't received my FedEx package yet. When I emailed my HR person, she said it should arrive by Mon or Tues, but I'll be gone by then. Should I panic if I have to leave without it or am I good if I show up 7am on my class date? I guess it would help if I knew exactly where in the MMAC to report to, where to park, etc..

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out here.. I'm starting the long drive to OKC this weekend and haven't received my FedEx package yet. When I emailed my HR person, she said it should arrive by Mon or Tues, but I'll be gone by then. Should I panic if I have to leave without it or am I good if I show up 7am on my class date? I guess it would help if I knew exactly where in the MMAC to report to, where to park, etc..

Ask your HR rep about possibly running it out and meeting you at the Security Command Center a day or two early. I was in the same situation as you, and my HR rep said she would have Student Services run it out if I needed it. Thankfully, they overnighted the packet and I got it before I left.

If you don't get it for some reason, just show up at the SSC about 6:15-6:30 in the morning on your start date. They'll have your name out there. There's nothing in there that you really need in the packet on your first day, anyways.

Haha..basics was such a joke, and crazy boring! I got 4 questions wrong total (four 30 question tests, and a 100 question final). Just pay attention in class (and again that's really hard most of the time cause it's so slow) and you will be fine.

Haha..basics was such a joke, and crazy boring! I got 4 questions wrong total (four 30 question tests, and a 100 question final). Just pay attention in class (and again that's really hard most of the time cause it's so slow) and you will be fine.
:yeahthat:

Basics would be easy for an instrument rated pilot, to be sure. Once you get into the real deal, though, throw everything you know right out the window. Literally. Here, you HAVE to drink the kool-aide, for lack of a better term. They want to see if you're teachable, and that sometimes means that you have to do things their way, even if it makes no sense to you at the time.

I'm a pilot, and now starting my second week of classes. I was CTI, so I skipped basics (thank god). It's handy to a very small extent, but that's about it. My advice: Learn everything possible about Jackson Lo (JAN LO) sector in Memphis Enroute. And best of luck to ya. lol

Back