Commercial to regional vs other routes poll

scooter2525

Very well Member
When you got your commercial did you go to (or would you if you had the choice) the regionals?

I persionally had a unique job opertunity right after my com
raiting then I decided to go the freight route for more experiance. That was around the hiring boom. It's worked out well. Your story?

Commercial/CFI/CFII

Then went to a flight school in Maryland. Worked there for a few months until they couldn't pay anybody on time. Left to go work at a flight school out of BWI (got that job through networking on JC) and worked there for another 6 months. Then i got hired at ASA because I am the proud owner of a pulse.

I always have to be the devils advocate, sure TT normally equates to more experience, but who here knows the 5000TT pilot they would never get in a seat with?

Also, is in the air the only way to get experience? Did you learn how to read charts by calling the FSS when airborne? How many here went military, learned it all in 100 or 200 TT then went out and dropped bombs or flew patrol? You are certainly better at challenging tasks, but were you not qualified when they put you out there?

Wouldn't you rather have good training, combined with practical experience rather than just practical experience? You're right, you magically have 2000 TT and you are now a God to us non-atp pilots. I have way more respect for a 1000 hr part 135 freight dawg at 2am in icing on an ILS with old boots, than a 5000 hr captain in a CRJ700 with hot wings, radar, and 3000 hrs airlift time (a lot of transoceanic high altitude work).

This is a challenging job that requires respect, courage and a lot of intelligence. Experience gets you experience, not intelligence. There's a good chance that C208 shouldn't be in the soup at 2am on the ILS in icing.

Rant Done.

I always have to be the devils advocate, sure TT normally equates to more experience, but who here knows the 5000TT pilot they would never get in a seat with?

Also, is in the air the only way to get experience? Did you learn how to read charts by calling the FSS when airborne? How many here went military, learned it all in 100 or 200 TT then went out and dropped bombs or flew patrol? You are certainly better at challenging tasks, but were you not qualified when they put you out there?

Wouldn't you rather have good training, combined with practical experience rather than just practical experience? You're right, you magically have 2000 TT and you are now a God to us non-atp pilots. I have way more respect for a 1000 hr part 135 freight dawg at 2am in icing on an ILS with old boots, than a 5000 hr captain in a CRJ700 with hot wings, radar, and 3000 hrs airlift time (a lot of transoceanic high altitude work).

This is a challenging job that requires respect, courage and a lot of intelligence. Experience gets you experience, not intelligence. There's a good chance that C208 shouldn't be in the soup at 2am on the ILS in icing.

Rant Done.

Soooo.......

I am waiting on Delta to start their SIC program so I can buy my way in!! So, how much is 250hrs of transatlantic time in a 76 gonna cost me?

I am waiting on Delta to start their SIC program so I can buy my way in!! So, how much is 250hrs of transatlantic time in a 76 gonna cost me?

:yup:

I just did whatever I could for free. I know I paid thousands to get my ratings, but there was just too much competition so I just did everything for free. :D

Honestly, I did whatever 119 flying came along while working on my CFI. Once I got my CFI I was sitting pretty comfortable.

I logged 75,000 miles of SIC time on American this year already....

SIC = Seat In Coach right? :cool::D

Oh if miles only counted. I'm guessing that I've got around 25,000 or so in a PA28. I have a lot of local flights where it reads off 200 miles or so.

Been part 91'ing since and hoping for the 135 when things pick up a little after FINALLY hitting the mins for it. I have zero aspirations for the regionals at this point.

Instructed for 1.5 years before getting hired by Mesa, worked at Mesa for a little more than 1.5 years before getting furloughed, got hired by a part 135 operation flying caravan feed for UPS. I have more than ATP mins now, but no ATP.

Regionals? Ew.

CFI -> 135 Freight -> Regional Training (oops) -> 135 Freight -> 135 Freight. Hoping to stick around at this freight company for the foreseeable future. Too old to live on $25k/year, too crotchity to let someone else fly my plane (until FedEx, UPS, or SWA calls), still enjoy actually flying too much (until...see above).

PS. In typical egotistical fashion, I didn't read the question very well. Would I have gone to a Regional at 250 hours, provided I could live on the salary? Hell yes. Now, would I be half as good a pilot? Hell no. The consolation prize of a life of deprivation at the scummy freight end of the pilot ladder is the self-satisfied condescending smirk you've earned the right to wear when you see a Puppymill RJ pilot.

I was offered a spot at ASA a few years ago...Glad I didn't take it. I learned a lot in that 1000+ PIC I logged.

Flew Part 91 on long VFR and occasionally IFR cross countries for the helicopter company that owned the Flight School I learned at. Went all over the state, and learned a lot.

Got a job in the right seat of the 1900C at ACE Air Cargo. Flew there until 1000TT, learned a lot, thought I knew everything, didn't really know anything. Definitely wasn't ready for it when I got on with them.

Left there to go to hawaii, that didn't work, came back to Alaska, worked for a 135 outfit on Kodiak for a summer, re-enrolled in college.

Found an awesome job in ANC for a year. Flew there in the 207, for a year, then moved to Juneau for the chance at the twin, and a better college experience.

Here I am. I was offered a job at PenAir either in the bush or in the Saab at 1000TT, kind of kicking myself I didn't take it then, but then, here I am now with 1.5 years of college to go. To be honest with you, if I don't ever sit in the right seat of a non-alaskan regional airline, I won't lose any sleep. No better way to learn than to be PIC making your own decisions, I'm glad I'm where I'm at.

Back