So the perks are...

lol hmmmm that sucks..

but then again with a job payin nearly 100,000 or more i guess i could spring for airfare....... lol

My husband was wondering if ATCers get free friends and family flights. Just curious---

The first response was correct. He'll be a federal employee and not an employee of one of the airlines, so the airline employee discounts/benefits do not apply to the ATC crowd.

Trust me being a 10 year airline employee the travel benifits suck more now than ever. With the airlines shrinking schedules and putting smaller planes on routes that once were mainline make getting on a plane harder than ever (we go standby only, if there is a open seat we can get on, just incase you didn't know:)).

The last time I traveled I bought a ticket. Its nice knowing that I'm going to make it home tonight (as long as the flight isn't canceled).

Trust me with the cost of tickets at the lowest in years its easy to buy a ticket at cheap prices especially with the salary a controller gets.

utamav, yeah, they are. :D My dad (retired ATCer, now training newbies at DFW) used to take them all the time and I was always jealous that I couldn't sit up there too. Now maybe I can! Woo!

CharlieBravo, I am headed to DFW TRACON. Is your dad at the TRACON or DFW local control?

UTAMAV:bandit:

dont except a new FAM program to be anything like the old one,it will be more of a pain in the ass than its worth,plus after 9/11 i am sure they will have plenty of restrictions.it will probely be a one time of year event with an out and back the same day flight logged as a training event. i may be wrong but i havent been so far.the days of the old Southwest flash and dash are loooong gone.

Swinte, would these FAM trips be in the jumpseat? If so, SWEEEEEETTT!!!!!

try sitting in a DC-9 jump seat for 4 hours and tell me how cool it is,i still cant feel my legs and that was 24 years ago.i remember asking the capt whats the longest flt thay have on the 9 and he said your on it, that was a Republic DC-9-30 from ORD to PHX.

Always some negative speculation from the queen.

Obviously, the "flash and dash" days will never be back due to security. Air travel in and of itself is a pain in the ass.

FAM trips are when you get to sit in the jumpseat of an airplane for "on the job training." You wear your mansuit (or womansuit) and write a report on the trip. Lots of controllers used to use them for vacations back in the day.

I don't know about captain orange challenger here but I think sitting in a jumpset on any commercial flight would be SWEEET. As far as the legs go, who cares, for a guy that doesn't get to see commercial cockpit operations on a daily basis, it would be well worth the devascularization of my lower extremities.

Playfully,

I don't know about captain orange challenger here but I think sitting in a jumpset on any commercial flight would be SWEEET. As far as the legs go, who cares, for a guy that doesn't get to see commercial cockpit operations on a daily basis, it would be well worth the devascularization of my lower extremities.

Playfully,

who you calling a captain, i was a buck sgt and dam proud of it.but that was in a diffrent century.oh and its a HEMI Challenger and thats sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Always some negative speculation from the queen.

Obviously, the "flash and dash" days will never be back due to security. Air travel in and of itself is a pain in the ass.

FAM trips are when you get to sit in the jumpseat of an airplane for "on the job training." You wear your mansuit (or womansuit) and write a report on the trip. Lots of controllers used to use them for vacations back in the day.

hay sonny shouldnt you be studing and not mouthing off to your elders , you aint a controller yet.

CharlieBravo, I am headed to DFW TRACON. Is your dad at the TRACON or DFW local control?

He was working TRACON before he retired, so I assume that's what he's training for. I guess I never actually asked, haha, and he used to do it all before we moved to Dallas.

Back