Tower: 'I'll call your base'

Zero1Niner

When you get this from the tower controller, is there an altitude restriction that is part of this? Is the pilot required to maintain present altitude when they get this or can they still begin the descent, but delay the turn?

I'd just stay at pattern altitude until the tower told me to turn, unless I was told to expect a tight pattern. Few times I have received this instruction it was always because they were extending my downwind.

I've never been concerned with whether or not there's an altitude restriction asscociated with it. Because when I recieve it, I have to assume I could end up several miles from the runway before I get the call so I always stay at my present altitude until I get the call and then adjust my decent rate as appropriate for the distance I now need to cover.

If I'm going to tell a pilot that "I'll call your base" I expect the pilot to remain at pattern altitude, unless I've told the pilot to remain higher.

Stay at pattern altitude. What if your downwind is going to be 2-3 miles out and you are loosing an engine?

I've never been concerned with whether or not there's an altitude restriction asscociated with it. Because when I recieve it, I have to assume I could end up several miles from the runway before I get the call so I always stay at my present altitude until I get the call and then adjust my decent rate as appropriate for the distance I now need to cover.
Drop the flaps and slow down, then you won't get so far out while giving them the spacing they need.

Stay at pattern altitude. What if your downwind is going to be 2-3 miles out and you are loosing an engine?

Depending on how many you have, you'll continue flying to the accident site or fire up the spare one, you forgot when you took off.

I heard, now this is just water cooler talk, but I heard tower was not supposed to "call your base".
I don't know why not, any controllers know anything about that?

I heard, now this is just water cooler talk, but I heard tower was not supposed to "call your base".

Happens all the time at VNY and WHP. I stay at TPA when they say this. Not per any rule, but just because I want to have some options if something goes wrong, and also because the east pattern at VNY in our aircraft allows us to stay at TPA until we turn base, not abeam the numbers. So descending on the extended DW would put me too low.

If at a controlled airport, you don't have a choice, except to go around.
IFR: You want to land, I want you to land. If you are cleared for the visual (and like oh my gosh, on the downwind and drag base), you could get a "cancel approach clearance turn (base) right heading 150, maintain 3,000, confirm airport insight south 10 miles".
I wouldn't do this unless I could assure an IFR approach if unable visual.

I'd stay at TPA as well. When I was training at TUS, the tower was calling my base turn quite a bit. It was never really a big deal until they'd get busy with incoming commercial aircraft or a flight of F-16's coming up initial...then I'd end up having to call the tower after flying 5-6 miles past the threshold and ask them if they'd like me to turn base before smacking into the mountains. Keeping that altitude buffer around the airfield is just good practice...for emergencies, wx, etc.

I think some people are hinting at the thought of climbing as you get farther and farther away from the airport. Being at 800-1000 AFE when 3-5 miles out on extended downwind and flying over possible rising or hostile terrain or a congested area would not be smart or safe. I have always thought of this as a good idea yet I never do it.

at TUS, the tower was calling my base turn quite a bit. .......call the tower after flying 5-6 miles past the threshold and ask them if they'd like me to turn base before smacking into the mountains.

Exactly. Or do 360's over the Mission (ground-reference) for 25 minutes................

Back