Fastest Accelerating

scooter2525

Very well Member
So here I am, on my way for an epic evening of reserve and I come around the corner to see a PC-12 position and hold. From my location parallel to the runway, I got a strait shot on a quarter mile just the same as he does. So as soon as he firewalls it, I drop the hammer on my 96 4cyc s-10. Granted I get about 100 yards till he pulls on me and he is gone.

So I'm wondering between all the aircraft, what one has the quickest acceleration standstill idle to rotation. I think top gear (or 5th gear, not sure) did a test between a single engine fighter, a crotch rocket and a super car...

Since you asked about quickest from standstill/idle to rotation, I'd have to guess a Turbine Helio or something of the sort. I've seen a Piston Helio rotate in approx 3 sec. In fact though the turbine might have a longer engine spool up so the piston might win in the time to rotation.

Since you asked about quickest from standstill/idle to rotation, I'd have to guess a Turbine Helio or something of the sort. I've seen a Piston Helio rotate in approx 3 sec. In fact though the turbine might have a longer engine spool up so the piston might win in the time to rotation.

Perhaps, but every time I have seen a helio it has had a STOL kit. Rotating early doesn't mean it accelerated fast.

Perhaps, but every time I have seen a helio it has had a STOL kit. Rotating early doesn't mean it accelerated fast.
Um...there isn't really a Helio STOL kit. The factory design is STOL. ;)

So here I am, on my way for an epic evening of reserve and I come around the corner to see a PC-12 position and hold. From my location parallel to the runway, I got a strait shot on a quarter mile just the same as he does. So as soon as he firewalls it, I drop the hammer on my 96 4cyc s-10. Granted I get about 100 yards till he pulls on me and he is gone.

So I'm wondering between all the aircraft, what one has the quickest acceleration standstill idle to rotation. I think top gear (or 5th gear, not sure) did a test between a single engine fighter, a crotch rocket and a super car...
It was top gear. I love that show. Too lazy to search for it though.

At an airshow here, bunch of years ago, they had a demo race between a crotch rocket, a Lambo and a Pitts. All three lined up and had to race to the end of the RW turn and race back to finish. The motorcycle was by far the fastest getting to the end of the RW but it took him forever to slow and turn. The Pitts was the slowest to the end of the RW but then he did a half cuban 8 and dove inverted to the finish and it was a pretty damn close finish between him and the moto.
It was pretty much the same as format as the top gear segment but the car and plane weren't nearly as BA. I love that show by the way.

If you're talking about take off length, I go +1 on the Orbiter. Takeoff distance, 0 ft. Distance to clear 50 ft obstacle, 0 ft.

For Pistons I would imagine Bearcats, Pitts Model 12's, Thunder Mustangs or any of the specialty aerobatic airplanes are intense. I have done the two hole Pitts thing and it gets up and goes. I am not sure if it was the fastest accelerating or not, but the airplane that sticks out in my head that I have ridden in that REALLY made an impression and pinned my ears back was a Clip-Wing Monocoupe (110 Special). The machine I rode is pictured below. I was young and maybe that is why it made an impression more than even the Pitts. Sadly, the owner and another friend were killed in this airplane some time back.

CWCoupe2.jpg

CWCoupe.jpg

No where near official, but using one of those accelerometer things used in cars to measure power and 1/4 times, the 1900 pulled a 9.2 1/4 empty.

Back