Pilot shop in a terminal near you!

J777Fly

Hi this post is aimed primarily at airline pilots. But others can chip in.

But what are your general thoughts on having a small pilot shop in the airport terminals you frequent? A friend of mine is contemplating opening up a small store for essential airline pilot accessories in one or two major hub or regional airports. Stuff like headsets, chart holders, pilot cases, flight guides and manuals, pilot shirts etc. Its not focusing on the GA enthusiast stuff like novelty gifts, or flight training gear for student pilots. Just the items airline pilots will need periodically while passing through the terminals. What do you think?

A lot of the big airports in the US already have them. Look up crewoutfitters.com and stopoverstore.com.

Hi this post is aimed primarily at airline pilots. But others can chip in.

But what are your general thoughts on having a small pilot shop in the airport terminals you frequent? A friend of mine is contemplating opening up a small store for essential airline pilot accessories in one or two major hub or regional airports. Stuff like headsets, chart holders, pilot cases, flight guides and manuals, pilot shirts etc. Its not focusing on the GA enthusiast stuff like novelty gifts, or flight training gear for student pilots. Just the items airline pilots will need periodically while passing through the terminals. What do you think?

Like the others said, high rent, small market.. and most airports really already have them... you just can't see them.

If you're serious about starting a business like this, start online.

Same products, low cost infrastructure.

better have a serious business model to be remotely successful in that market segment with those costs.

Thanks guys, but while your points about small market and high cost base is true, I really wasn't looking for a financial cost analysis of the idea. The fact is selling aviation retail is a low margin industry. It's a niche market with a very high cost period. Doesn't matter if you're Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce or selling out of your bedroom, the cost base is high, the margins are low. Having said that, what I wanted was this; if you walked through a terminal and saw a pilot shop, would you find it useful and walk in to buy your stuff, or would you rather go home and buy online, do you think pilots would have the time to stop in and buy something....opinions along those lines. And that's interesting that you have some stores in airports already but don't see them. (Must be noted that its primarily in the US, pretty much none of that type in Europe) Anyway, you learn something new every day, because I've never heard of the two stores mentioned in the first response.

Not sure pilots of that level purchase items often enough. I haven't bought any pilot supplies in about 2 years myself. I bought a bunch of stuff when I got started but not much since.

Having said that, what I wanted was this; if you walked through a terminal and saw a pilot shop, would you find it useful and walk in to buy your stuff,

It depends on what kind of airport you're talking about...

If the airports you're looking to set these shop up in are outstations in a hub-spoke type of system where they aircraft is on the ground for 30 minutes, no more than 45-50 minutes, I'd venture to say not many pilots would get out to "stroll" around. If they do get off the airplane - it's usually for a specific purpose - potty break, munchies, flight related duties and paperwork. (I'd probably say in that order.)

The hubs are different, pilots are starting, terminating trips, and the turn times are longer. But most of the hubs already have a dedicated pilot shop - they're usually in areas that the public cannot access, but the pilots can.
You'd have to find a hub that didn't have a shop.

Let's see, I can think of a few, anyone else care to add?

Hubs with stores already:
ATL
DFW
ORD
MIA

Add CVG to the list...

I think if he/she were to go through with it (I think its doomed to fail but you wanted opinions) it would have to be basic basic stuff. Shirts, Ties, Sunglasses, essentially uniform stuff that someone may have ruined on their trip. Maybe some other things like flight cases and roller boards. I have heard horror stories of these breaking mid-trip and having to carry everything. I have also ruined my share of shirts by dumping coffee all over myself. I would have killed to be able to pick up a spare shirt or tie on the go. I know you don't want to hear about financials but I really suggest doing some serious market research and I can almost guarantee you that if you don't have a website to back up the store front it will not work. Also make sure you put it in an airport with crewbases. I know from experience that if you need to buy a pilot shirt or uniform tie in Columbus Ohio you are crap outta luck... The internet is your only option unless you want to drive to CVG. RAH has several hundred pilots based here.

I dunno though I would look into the security aspect of selling things that have to do with pilot uniforms in the middle of an airport. Not saying it isn't possible, but with the TSA they may make you sell the stuff in a secure area. I don't think TSA would like the idea of anyone being able to purchase a uniform that easily in the middle of an airport. If you could get approved by TSA maybe think about renting a small corner of one of the news store places in every airport to sell your stuff. That way you aren't having to rent an entire store front.

Back