Therapy derailing ATC prospects?

Sasho

I'm curious if someone going to a therapist or a pyschiatrist would derail their chances of becoming a controller?

my initial thought would be yes. Even if you get through to a PEPC invite, you might still have problems getting medically cleared (mmpi), and idk about the SF85p, but the SF86 asks about therapy. These are the forms you have to fill out for security clearance.

I know for the pilot side, you don't have to report going to therapy, as long as you haven't been diagnosed with a disqualifying condition or taking medication that is not approved by the FAA. I don't know how it is for ATC, but I imagine it would be the same.

You might want to try asking Dr. Forred in the "Ask a Flight Surgeon" section.

I know for the pilot side, you don't have to report going to therapy, as long as you haven't been diagnosed with a disqualifying condition or taking medication that is not approved by the FAA.
You need to read question number 19 on your medical application. Failing to report is called falsification and the penalty for falsification is revocation of all airman certificates.

I'm curious if someone going to a therapist or a pyschiatrist would derail their chances of becoming a controller?
Regardless if it would or would not, do not let that stand in the way of making an application. The worst they can tell you is "no thanks".

You're asked about it in both your application for an airman's certificate (the physical) and your security clearance, at least for the SF-86. As someone stated above, you MUST tell them about it; it's easy to find in records and will make you look evasive or dishonest if you keep quiet.

As to whether it'll affect getting hired, it depends on what it was for. Obviously they let some crazies in, because Raydon's made it. Visits following significant life events (death in the family, for example) are commonplace and won't cause any problems. If you've been diagnosed with a mental disorder, however, you may run into some serious problems.

I agree, ask the Flight Surgeon here with the specifics of what your visit was about (if you're comfortable with that, of course... you are relatively anonymous, being online and all). The requirements for a second class certificate are the same whether it's obtained by a pilot or a controller.

If I recall the SF86 question it said you need not answer "YES" if it was for family counseling, grief counseling, etc. I think the question is more geared to those who have a clinical diagnosis of anxiety or other serious mental health questions.

Also, on the medical form, you only have to list visits to doctors within the past 3 years. There is also a section where you have to say yes or no to certain health conditions (whether or not you have ever had them), but "Upset because my girlfriend broke up with me and needed counseling" isn't one of them... so there are certain situations where you may have seen a therapist 4 years ago and need to report NONE of it to the FAA.

Back