Qatar C-17

Don't let the livery fool you -- that's not for Qatar Airways, it's for the Qatar Emiri Air Force.

It was the intent of Lockheed to market and place all three of its freighters with airlines. The -130 (L-100) along with the -141 and C-5 were all offered and no one took them up on the offer. Likewise, McDoug for a long time tried to offer the MD-17 to the freight dogs but at a cost between $150-200M per copy, the refrain was always " Thanks but no thanks." Thus that market has been left to the Russians and the AN-124.

It was the intent of Lockheed to market and place all three of its freighters with airlines. The -130 (L-100) along with the -141 and C-5 were all offered and no one took them up on the offer. Likewise, McDoug for a long time tried to offer the MD-17 to the freight dogs but at a cost between $150-200M per copy, the refrain was always " Thanks but no thanks." Thus that market has been left to the Russians and the AN-124.

The Herc did break into the civilian market, though not in any real significant numbers. I think only one airline (in Indonesia) operated the Herc in a passenger configuration.

The Herc did break into the civilian market, though not in any real significant numbers. I think only one airline (in Indonesia) operated the Herc in a passenger configuration.

Delta%20Air%20Lines%20Lockheed%20L-100.jpg

at about the same time...
TAM018.jpg

Yep. Curtiss C-46. Neither were in service that long. Both had constant maint problems. (note the Southern Airways hangar in the background. Southern had 2 hangars off Virginia Avenue and next door was an outfit refurbishing Marine Corsairs and P-51s) See next... and check out the ramp. No hazmat to be sure...
0564419.jpg

Delta%20Air%20Lines%20Lockheed%20L-100.jpg

at about the same time...
TAM018.jpg

Yep. Curtiss C-46. Neither were in service that long. Both had constant maint problems. (note the Southern Airways hangar in the background. Southern had 2 hangars off Virginia Avenue and next door was an outfit refurbishing Marine Corsairs and P-51s) See next... and check out the ramp. No hazmat to be sure...
0564419.jpg
Alaska Airlines at one time operated L-100s too.:)

And true to the Herc...take a look at the DAL -130 w/ #3 feathered...HA!

at the time Delta had the Hercs, I was working on the new rotundas at the old ATL airport, the one that replaced the WWII quonset hut. Almost every morning the -130 was doing run-ups and not carrying freight. I was told guys bid it not to fly it but because it seldom flew.

So, there I was waiting for a UPT slot and on those cold fall days, I would see those little lovelies handing the DC-8 crews their coffee and I thought, "Yep.. one day. One day." Long time ago.

They are jokingly referred to as The Flying Goat.

TP

I'm waiting for the day it departs LGB for the first time. I'm going to hit the mike "baaaaa!" Otherwise the gloss shades of grey look really slick. I understand it is to carry the royal families gold plated RR's around. So I hear.

Back