best place to buy A&P tool set

mxaexm

Hey,

Hopefully, pretty soon I will start working on my A&P ratings, could you tell me what is the best way/place to buy A&P tools?

Thanks,

The guys at my local shop pretty much disappear for 30 minutes when the SnapOn truck shows up...I'm assuming they get theirs from there

I would tend to stay away from new stuff right now. I would tend to think there's some great deals to be had on used tools. Quite a few mechanics (automotive and aviation) are out of a job right now. Just don't waste any money on 6 point sockets or anything metric. I see guys with 6 point, and it's just pathetic. Well maybe not that bad, but you'll look stupid trying to use them on 12 point nuts.

I wouldn't assume any brand loyalties as different companies make certain things better than others. Just starting out I never had a problem using Craftsman tools, as you make your way through your career you can start gradually upgrading to better stuff, i.e. snap-n-half, Matco. Also I wouldn't overlook great companies like Proto, Williams (a sub. of snap-on), Wright, Cornwell, Toptul, SK, Knipex, etc. As far as where to get them, there's the truck, stores, e-bay, craigslist, and check out garagejournal for some other info. Usually you should be able to get a great student vocational discount from snappy, matco, mac.... whoever your school deals with. Good Luck

Re: Matco set

I have been gradually building my tool set-mostly Craftsman for now. If I stick with MX for long enough I'll probably end up with some Snap-On and so forth. My next big purchases will be a REAL toolbox (not the little 3-drawer, way overstuffed deal I have now) and a big torque wrench (right now I have to borrow my boss's to torque spark plugs).

I have been gradually building my tool set-mostly Craftsman for now. If I stick with MX for long enough I'll probably end up with some Snap-On and so forth. My next big purchases will be a REAL toolbox (not the little 3-drawer, way overstuffed deal I have now) and a big torque wrench (right now I have to borrow my boss's to torque spark plugs).

Unless you are planning to contract work on Airplanes (1099 tax file) then all calibrated tools such as torque wrenches and cable tensiometers should be provided by the Co. to the employees of that repair station or a maintenance facility.

With that said I love my quarter-inch drive torque wrench………..never got the bigger ones since they don’t get used as much.
BTW, in general it is acceptable to properly elbow torque the sparkplugs. :)

Unless you are planning to contract work on Airplanes (1099 tax file) then all calibrated tools such as torque wrenches and cable tensiometers should be provided by the Co. to the employees of that repair station or a maintenance facility.

With that said I love my quarter-inch drive torque wrench………..never got the bigger ones since they don’t get used as much.
BTW, in general it is acceptable to properly elbow torque the sparkplugs. :)
"Should be" and "are" are different. Especially when you're working at a very small FBO.

And I just can't quite get used to elbow torquing plugs yet (only 2 weeks on the job) because the last place I worked, that was one of the few things they made sure to use a torque wrench on. That, wheel half bolts, and the various plugs and such on the Thielert engines.

"Should be" and "are" are different. Especially when you're working at a very small FBO.

And I just can't quite get used to elbow torquing plugs yet (only 2 weeks on the job) because the last place I worked, that was one of the few things they made sure to use a torque wrench on. That, wheel half bolts, and the various plugs and such on the Thielert engines.

Never mind, you better use torque Wrench on them plugs if your outfit requires it. Still I would make a case of it that they have to provide you with certain tools. What is next? Your own pitot/static tester, engine hoist, jacks, boroscope……..remember even if you buy your own torque wrench it must be calibrated once a year. I would make them pay for that. They are supposed to provide you with such additional tools beyond your own hand tools.
Good luck in your new job.
Cheers

I get alot of tools from Harbor Freight, a lot of people hate them, but put them next to many different tools you get from the truck and they're the EXACT same thing, just different etching. With that said, I have almost every tool that I need, granted I don't work on aircraft, but I use some off the wall things that aren't worth buying from Snap-on.

Not trying to bust anyone's chops or anything... but it's so easy to grab a torque wrench... why not torque spark plugs... properly... every time.

Hey,

Hopefully, pretty soon I will start working on my A&P ratings, could you tell me what is the best way/place to buy A&P tools?

Thanks,

Are you going to a Part 147 school? As others have mentioned, you'll never get a better deal on Snap-On, Mac, or Matco then you will now. I believe Craftsman does some deals for A&P students as well.

I've got mostly Snap-On tools. Are they the best? Yes and no. In many ways Mac and Matco are on par. One thing that I have noticed in my years of turning wrenches is that they have the best return policy. Things like wrenches should hardly ever have to be replaced, but e-z outs are something that wear with use, and the Snap-On guys always replaced them without blinking an eye, while the Mac guy would only replace it if broke.

Craftsman is a decent way to get started. Harbor freight is ok for somethings, very few things, dead-blows, scrapers, sealant tools, etc. come to mind. Once in awhile they have S&K brand wrenches there which are alright. Most of the tools at HF are junk in my opinion, especially when used in difficult applications. I've seen many HF wrenches sprung and rendered useless.

Once you're working in the field, a good piece of advice handed down to me was if you need to borrow a tool three times, you need to buy it. Most mechanics understand that a new guy is going to show up for his first job with limited tools, and are willing to lend a tool. But the third time you're seeking to borrow a particular tool should tell you something!

And as far as the admonition to not purchase 6 point sockets, I don't understand that. 98% of the time the 6 point is the correct choice. It is sturdier that a twelve point and provides greater grip strength. Twelve point is good for certain nuts and s acceptable in low torque applications.

Not trying to bust anyone's chops or anything... but it's so easy to grab a torque wrench... why not torque spark plugs... properly... every time.

Agreed.
Do it by the book. If it says to torque them, do it.

Snap-On and such have student deals where you get a huge percentage off list price.

Id stick with craftsman for heavily used wrenches/screwdrivers, as they'll replace them free/no questions when they've worn down/break.
Nothing works better than a brand new screwdriver :D

I get alot of tools from Harbor Freight, a lot of people hate them, but put them next to many different tools you get from the truck and they're the EXACT same thing, just different etching. With that said, I have almost every tool that I need, granted I don't work on aircraft, but I use some off the wall things that aren't worth buying from Snap-on.

Uhm, if you mean they are the exact same thing by they have the same function, then I agree. If by exact you mean one is just as good as the other, then I will wholeheartedly disagree.

Harbor Freight is a great place to buy tools. Are they the best quality, no. But some of their stuff is really great and you can't beat the price.

I decided I needed some short wrenches to reach those hard to get at fluid lines so I decided to buy some and cut them down to size.

To do that to a Craftsman or Snap-on set would have been stupidly expensive. At HF it cost me $25 for an entire set from 5/16 to 1-1/8 which I promptly sliced to my liking.

I've also gotten several air tools from them I really like.

Sure they're cheap but if (when) I break them....who cares!

Fix it like you stole it....or something.

I agree there, I have a good mix of snap-on stuff that gets used properly, and craftsman or harbor freight stuff that gets bent, torched, welded, cut, scraped, ground, folded, stapled and mutilated for whatever purpose.

I have a hodge podge of different brands in my box like Craftsman, Snap-on and a few others.If you are looking for some sheet metal stuff Brown aircraft tool company has some really neat stuff.

Not to nitpick but when it comes to a sparkplug in a cylinderhead, both living in the harsh environment that they do, a correct torque could only be used in a ideal situations when nothing will interfere with properly applying the correct torque.

A few examples that would cause an undertorque sparkplug installation situations using a calibrated torque wrench (with a currency sticker) that has not been dropped are:

1- Dirty threads on the cylinder head
2- Damaged threads (thread erosion which causes resistance to torque)
3- Slight acceptable warpage
4- CHT Temp at installation

For a sparkplug to be installed correctly by the use of a torque wrench the mechanic must be able to easily screw in the plug by fingers flush to the head. Aviation thread lube/anti seize compound can be used on the treads (do not get it on the electrolite) and any torque wrench correction calculations (if necessary) must be followed.

An undertoque condition will cause hot spots and can lead to preignition in worse cases. An overtorqued condition will cause ceramic cracking on the plug and thread damage to the cylinder.

Follow AC43.13-1B…………..it is a good guide to follow.

Back