Clothing Question.

Pilot0486

So I am taking my initial CFI checkride next Wednesday. Somehow I always seem to avoid the warmer days on the checkride except this time seems to be the exception.

I was curious what everyone wears when it's supposed to be around 85 and humid here in Eastern Ohio/Western PA (for once this summer) on my day. Is a polo and dress pants appropriate or do I just have to suck it up and wear a shirt and tie?

Any other last minute FSDO pointers I could use before Wednesday morning?

Thanks guys!

Baseball cap, polo, clean jeans...

Wear something nice but casual and most importantly, comfortable.

My examiner showed up in jeans and a T-shirt. The FAA doesn't pay him enough to be (that) miserable.

I sucked it up when I took my initial a couple weeks ago here in Houston (about 95 degrees, 3,000 % humidity) and wore the shirt and tie.

Wasn't that bad. I don't think it would make that big of a deal to be a little more casual.

How individual examiners and inspectors view ties can be from one extreme to the other.

I would recommend wearing a collared shirt and tie during the oral portion. Then when you get ready to proceed to the preflight simply ask the examiner or inspector if they would get any negative impression if you were to take your tie off during the rest of the test because of the heat.

I wouldn't sweat it. :)

Wear a short sleeve button down with a tie and kakis. You'll be professional enough and somewhat comfortable.

I wouldn't dream of wearing a tie for a checkride or suggesting that a student do so.

That would be an odd dream, I agree. :)

I wore a tie for my CFI ride but that was the norm where I did it. Plus, what can it hurt? If your examiner gets pissed you wore a tie then he's probably going to get pissed at something you teach him.

make sure you wear comfortable shoes so that you have a good feel for the pedals, I wouldn't wear boots or anything like that.

That would be an odd dream, I agree. :)

I wore a tie for my CFI ride but that was the norm where I did it. Plus, what can it hurt? If your examiner gets pissed you wore a tie then he's probably going to get pissed at something you teach him.

:beer:

Just don't show up in a bear stained wife beater, board shorts, and flip flops smelling/looking like you haven't showered in a few days and you should be fine. This whole dressing up for a checkride thing needs to go the way of the dodo bird. On all my checkrides, I dressed as me. A blue polo shirt, kaki cargo shorts (that weren't baggy), and a pair of black vans was what I wore to every one of my checkrides.

I usually just do biz-casual.

Unless its a glider ride. Then one of my Columbia UPF-30 shirts, jeans, and a "glider pilot hat."

Back