A380 Hard Landing at Oshkosh

jeez, the commentator couldn't make it more obvious that he is a boeing fan boy. I wish i could re-edit the video with a john madden voice over, with all that repeated footage. :)

I believe he had to make a taxiway only 4000' down the runway so there wasn't any screwing around with a soft landing. If he didn't make it they would have had to tow him backwards and mess the flow of the runway up. I bet this is what the peeps on the plane looked like after that landing though :insane::insane:

Looked fine to me...Big airplane, relatively small runway doesn't need to be pretty just needs to get it on the ground and stopped. I think that the Av-Web Guy is just a DB.

Looked fine to me...Big airplane, relatively small runway doesn't need to be pretty just needs to get it on the ground and stopped. I think that the Av-Web Guy is just a DB.

Agreed, how that is even news worthy shows that airventure is lacking this year.

Agreed, how that is even news worthy shows that airventure is lacking this year.

I agree as well. Doesn't even look like a hard landing at all, just a firm landing that was intentionally done to bleed off as much energy as possible. Overall, considering the runway size, I'd say it looked like a good job.

Stupid question from a guy who could give a rats ass about flying heavy jets: Are they designed to land in a crab like that or is that considered bad form?

Stupid question from a guy who could give a rats ass about flying heavy jets: Are they designed to land in a crab like that or is that considered bad form?

You can kick out the crab and most do even on the 'bus. The problem is learning a new technique because on the 'bus aileron input is for a rate and not for a deflection so you can not cross control like on the Boeings.

This video emphasizes the crab by the long lens. It was not the best of landings but the definition of a hard landing does not fit.

You can kick out the crab and most do even on the 'bus. The problem is learning a new technique because on the 'bus aileron input is for a rate and not for a deflection so you can not cross control like on the Boeings.

This video emphasizes the crab by the long lens. It was not the best of landings but the definition of a hard landing does not fit.
Understood. But it doesn't really answer my question. Was the plane designed to be landed in a crab? Is it a normal and acceptable landing technique for that aircraft? IOW, we all know you can land a 172 in a crab and probably not break the plane. But its not designed to be landed that way and if you do it hard enough, you're going to break something.

I believe certain larger military stuff is designed to be landed in the crab rather than risk dragging a wingtip. But as airliners never really excited me in any way, I never bothered to learn every intimate detail about their design and operation like all the SJS kids seem to do. So is it normal to crab it to the pavement like that or is it something that's better off avoiding whenever possible?

Some of the Boeings have castering wheels that allow the thing to land in a crab and still go straight down the runway. The smaller Arbi don't. I don't know about the bigger ones.

Nice monday morning QB'ing from the 'qualified 777 pilot'. Hard to lay too much blame... short runway, big plane, the guy made it and didn't break anything.

jeez, the commentator couldn't make it more obvious that he is a boeing fan boy. I wish i could re-edit the video with a john madden voice over, with all that repeated footage. :)

That would be awesome, and use one of those pens to draw all over the footage.
Madden:"look at that rudder! (big arrow) thats going to push this way (another arrow) making this (two big arrows) hit the gap here (big circle) before heading down field."

That would be awesome, and use one of those pens to draw all over the footage.
Madden:"look at that rudder! (big arrow) thats going to push this way (another arrow) making this (two big arrows) hit the gap here (big circle) before heading down field."

Haha, Exactly!!!!!!1

Madden: TouchDown!!!!! in the zone :)

Anything with a wing flex like the A380 is going to look somewhat unstable when it lands.

Back