CFI-A add on

38bat

I am currently a Sport pilot CFI. Has anybody started here and moved up? Curiously there were only two examiners in my region that could do a CFI-S checkride and neither had ever done one. I didn't have any problem and have been teaching in LSA's. I want to upgrade now to my CFI-A and was curious if anyone has done this? Wondering what I can expect, would seem that there wouldn't be any FOI stuff? Just more maneuvers? I did the CFI and FOI writtens not the sport pilot CFI writtens initially. Thanks for any help.

I am currently a Sport pilot CFI. Has anybody started here and moved up? Curiously there were only two examiners in my region that could do a CFI-S checkride and neither had ever done one. I didn't have any problem and have been teaching in LSA's. I want to upgrade now to my CFI-A and was curious if anyone has done this? Wondering what I can expect, would seem that there wouldn't be any FOI stuff? Just more maneuvers? I did the CFI and FOI writtens not the sport pilot CFI writtens initially. Thanks for any help.

FWIW I had a 6 hour oral and a 1.5 hour flight.

I think you're going to find the FAA will treat you as an initial CFI applicant. There are two reasons I say this. First, CFI-S is covered by part 61 subpart J, all other CFI ratings are covered collectively by part 61 supbart H. Second, if you look in the CFI PTS under "Additional Rating Task Table" (pg xi) you'll find every variety of CFI mentioned there except Sport Pilots.

If you've already taken the FOI as a requirement for the CFI-S, then you don't need to take it again. Even so, you can still expect to field questions on that subject during your oral. (I had them on both my add-on orals when I added MEI and II) If you did the FAI test and turned in the results for your CFI-S rating, then I think you'll need to take it again. I've never heard of being able to use test results more than once.

I recommend you contact your local FSDO and put these questions to them. If you end up being an initial CFI applicant (as I think you will) you'll have to schedule your ride with them anyhow. Or you'll at least have to get permission to use a designated DPE.

Back