Ag Airplanes on floats?

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
So, this is probably a good question for tcart, are there any alternatives to the AirTractor on Floats in terms of hopper capacity and price? Just curious, gotta idea stewin'.

So, this is probably a good question for tcart, are there any alternatives to the AirTractor on Floats in terms of hopper capacity and price? Just curious, gotta idea stewin'.

Certainly I would wait for T-cart, but perhaps a place to start is by looking up the makers of floats. Whipaire (who makes the Air Tractor floats), or other makers (is EDO still in business?). See if they have floats for ag planes. Just an idea.

EDIT: I think I remember seeing something on an Air Tractor application that may be good for Alaska. I think they took an AT-802 (not sure if it was on floats or not, but it could be) and used it to deliver heating oil or something. I'll try to dig up the article.

The only Air Tractor that I know of that is certified on floats is the 802, billed as the Fire Boss.

Same 800 gallon hopper capacity as the "normal" 802's, and there are extra tanks that can be put in the floats.

I am quite sure the airplane is more expensive than the regular 802, and it is no slacker price wise to begin with!

http://www.firebossllc.com/

The only Air Tractor that I know of that is certified on floats is the 802, billed as the Fire Boss.

Same 800 gallon hopper capacity as the "normal" 802's, and there are extra tanks that can be put in the floats.

I am quite sure the airplane is more expensive than the regular 802, and it is no slacker price wise to begin with!

http://www.firebossllc.com/

Yeah, I saw, it's about $1.25 million for the one I saw for sale, which, naturally, take a little while to pay off. The 800Gallon capacity or something similar is really the only thing I need, that and the floats. Do you know how much extra capacity the float tanks give you?

Yeah, I saw, it's about $1.25 million for the one I saw for sale, which, naturally, take a little while to pay off. The 800Gallon capacity or something similar is really the only thing I need, that and the floats. Do you know how much extra capacity the float tanks give you?

Website says 70 gallons for the floats, so I am assuming 35 per side.

Pat, As far as I know (and have seen) the Air Tractor is the only ag plane available now on floats although I do remember seeing a picture of an Ag Cat on floats and modified to carry a couple of pax.

Probably depends on if or how you need the airplane to be certified. If you are delivering fuel/oil you would maybe not even need a certified airplane - experimental may do the trick (because you are buying and selling fuel, not "flying for hire" per se). If that would be the case you could get something like a Dromader (close to 700-800 gallons) and perhaps get a company to sell you floats like on the Air Tractor and have them installed. If you needed it certified, I think you would need an STC. Not sure what you would need. A Dromader can be had for around $100k.

Probably depends on if or how you need the airplane to be certified. If you are delivering fuel/oil you would maybe not even need a certified airplane - experimental may do the trick (because you are buying and selling fuel, not "flying for hire" per se). If that would be the case you could get something like a Dromader (close to 700-800 gallons) and perhaps get a company to sell you floats like on the Air Tractor and have them installed. If you needed it certified, I think you would need an STC. Not sure what you would need. A Dromader can be had for around $100k.

I'll check into that. Thanks.

I'll check into that. Thanks.

Ctab thinks Drom's suck, because he told me that once. I only like the knock-off R1820 and four bladed prop. They look cool. Probably Ctab and T-carts input will be more meaningful than "they look cool".

It is a clone of the 1820. You have to CONSTANTLY stay on top of the exhaust ears because of cracking. The gear is on some sort of oleo strut that CONSTANTLY leak down and won't hold up. I"ve seen the guys put a couple of gallons of oil in at every fuel stop.

It is a clone of the 1820. You have to CONSTANTLY stay on top of the exhaust ears because of cracking. The gear is on some sort of oleo strut that CONSTANTLY leak down and won't hold up. I"ve seen the guys put a couple of gallons of oil in at every fuel stop.

Have you ever had a chance to fly one?

The oleo struts sound like a PITA.

Couple gallons of oil at every stop...that's my kind of airplane!

Seriously, it is kind of disappointing that they suck so badly. I say this only because they DO look cool with the 1820 clone and the four bladed prop. Bet they sound nice though...

Have you ever had a chance to fly one?

The oleo struts sound like a PITA.

Couple gallons of oil at every stop...that's my kind of airplane!

Seriously, it is kind of disappointing that they suck so badly. I say this only because they DO look cool with the 1820 clone and the four bladed prop. Bet they sound nice though...

I have flown them and they do haul the load. The struts are a pain, but I also know of some "unapproved fixes" that seem to help. It is a big ol bird that does look and sound cool, but it doesn't seem to hold up well in the environment that we fly in.

I have flown them and they do haul the load. The struts are a pain, but I also know of some "unapproved fixes" that seem to help. It is a big ol bird that does look and sound cool, but it doesn't seem to hold up well in the environment that we fly in.

One more question, Swami...

Ag planes are in the restricted category. If you are not using them for ag flying, can you license them as an experimental, or some other way (like for the people that turn Ag Cats into sport planes with another cockpit)? What can you do besides Ag with a restricted category airplane?

As far as flying qualities - I would imagine a Drom would be more "truck-like" than an Air Tractor.

One more question, Swami...

Ag planes are in the restricted category. If you are not using them for ag flying, can you license them as an experimental, or some other way (like for the people that turn Ag Cats into sport planes with another cockpit)? What can you do besides Ag with a restricted category airplane?

As far as flying qualities - I would imagine a Drom would be more "truck-like" than an Air Tractor.

I think a good example of this would be Gene Soucy's " Show Cat". I am not positive, but would think that it is out of restricted and now in a experimental/ exibition category. The two hole Ag Cats would probably be the same thing.

Yes, the Dromadier is a big truck. The Air Tractor is like a sports car with excellent handling qualities. I flew the 510 Thrush during the first month or so of this season and have been in the 602 Air Tractor since then and I will still take the 602 any day.

Back