MPD Unfair?

RWH1986

Some Guy
Just got an email today announcing yet another rate increase. I currently jumped from 248 to 253 per hour in the Bonanza. Worst part is the instructor rate jumped from 40 to 58 when not to long ago the instructor pay was cut to below 20 per flight hour. Can a flight school be required to show where all this money goes?

Not required, just as if you were buying a Whopper and the price went up by 20%

Ask them. If they don't give you a sufficient answer, there's a lot of competition out there.

40/per hour for instruction is actually very very cheap. You can expect to pay at least 50 at most places in the valley from my experience. Rate increases are just a part of the whole deal. It's expensive to learn how to fly.

Because the contract, like the sunset, is eventually going to be complete, yo.

I still like your idea of sending them to HNL to compete against Go! I've mentioned that to a few people, but of course said it was someone elses idea.

Ironically too I had another JCer DH on my flight to YYZ the other night. It was the guy asking if he should leave ASA to go to Lynx.

Why is MPD still operating? I would pay to see who's actually there training right now, just for amusement.

Just got an email today announcing yet another rate increase. I currently jumped from 248 to 253 per hour in the Bonanza. Worst part is the instructor rate jumped from 40 to 58 when not to long ago the instructor pay was cut to below 20 per flight hour. Can a flight school be required to show where all this money goes?
$253 an hour for a training aircraft?

That's not robbery, not a bad deal.......that's just plain rape.

MPD used to be cheap. I remember in 2004-2005ish it was $120-ish for the A36 and $25/hr for the instructor (and we got $16 of that). It most definitely was not a money making operation for Mesa.

$253 an hour for a training aircraft?

That's not robbery, not a bad deal.......that's just plain rape.

For a -35/36, that's about right. There is a V-35 here for $165 without an instructor. Throw in the instructor... newer airplane... Heck, gas alone is probably about $60/hour or more. Add in insurance for a complex airplane(a real biggy- I just paid my annual fee for my 8KCAB), maintenance, airplane payment, property taxes, airport fees, hanger fees...

$250 for an A36 is insane. My flying club has 3 F33As for $150-160 which are on the steep side in my opinion.

Did they raise the price on the Baron also? As far as the instructor rate goes, thats pretty normal for a big school in AZ. I used to instruct at WW over at DVT and I think our students would pay either 60 or 65 of which we got 25 per hour ground/flight.

$250 for an A36 is insane. My flying club has 3 F33As for $150-160 which are on the steep side in my opinion.

Flying clubs normally have rates that are far lower than FBOs and flight schools- which have to show some kind of profit and don't have the volunteers available. Again, look at the costs associated with operating the airplane (not what you think it should cost), and this is probably about right for an A-36 with instructor.
Just for a reference, when I first started flying I could rent a 172 for $20/hour. So I think it's insane that it now runs $120+ for a new 172; but I also know what it costs to operate one.

There's no way they're charging $253/hr for the A36 alone. That includes the instructor rate, correct?

It certainly has gone up, but go figure.. I wouldn't expect to see it go down.

That includes the instructor, fuel, taxes. It's not all that bad when you consider all of that. Complex airplanes are expensive.

Also instructor pay rates did not change. They just changed the way they are charging for ground. At MPD students actually save a lot of money because they do not have to pay for the pre and post brief. This is including in the program. You get half hour before and half hour afterward and you are not charged for either. During my training I always had 0.3 to 0.5 added to every flight for post and pre briefings. At MPD it used to be that for every flight hour you fly you get an extra 0.4 for the brief. The students do not pay for this at all. So if you flew 20 hours you actually get payed for 28 hours. They took this away and now for every flight the instructors get 0.5 added for briefing time. The student does not pay for any of this.

There's no way they're charging $253/hr for the A36 alone. That includes the instructor rate, correct?

It certainly has gone up, but go figure.. I wouldn't expect to see it go down.

Nope it is only for the Bonanza. Instructor is an additional 58 per hour. Warrior is 135 now.

Back