First for me in a Beech 99

Was this is a special trip or are they going to make a practice of using other feeders as well besides CSA, Mountain and Empire (and whoever else they own/own the airplanes)?

It was a special

Just a reminder to turn the battery off at night when tucking in your ATR;)

What are "clearing house power settings"? They have us fly 650/1900 most of the time.

Also: Are yours falling apart? I'm glad my company takes maintenance seriously, because this thing breaks A LOT. It's maybe five years older than the mitsis I was flying, similar airframe time, far less complex, and breaks at least twice as often. Beech quality? uhhhh.

I haven't flown the 99 in well over a year. So I don't rember power settings. I can tell you that and unpodded 99 runs about 190kts or so and the podded ones run about 180.

I rarely ever have a 99 break on me. The metro on the other hand. It's nothing to have a page or two of sqauwks after a flight. :)

I'm just curious... how good was the Beech 99 as an airliner? I know it makes a great freighter and does well for a lot of companies, but how was it when it first came out? Who actually flew these things with people (which companies?)?

I've never understood why beech made an unpressurized twin turbine. It's great for the single pilot freight ops, it's easy enough to throw oxygen on if you need it, but having a plane full of passengers I wouldn't think would go overly well if a pilot needed to start climbing (for ice, thunderstorms, etc.).

I'm sure not knocking the airplane that a lot of people on here are flying, I just don't know much of the history behind them and how well they did straight out of the factory. Anybody know?

I don't know how it was with insulation, but one of the biggest draw backs that I can see by having it unpressurized is that it is extremely loud on the inside. Much much louder than the metro! You would be crazy to fly it without earplugs under the headset.

It is a true commuter aircraft. I doubt that many of the flights in it were over 30 minutes.

Wow you guys run it low. I think AMF's 1100tq and 1900RPM.

The 650 was a temp setting it being really freaking hot down here right now. It usually torques somewhere around 1200, so similar power settings.

And yes, it is ludicrously loud. It certainly hauls a load, though, and it climbs like a raped ape at anything less than max gross. I regularly see about 2000fpm without even trying. It also gets off the ground in a hurry.

As to who flew them, I know GP Air Express flew them quite a bit back in the 80s. The current DO at FLX was their chief pilot, I think. He gets a misty look in his eye talking about the GP days...

All in all, it's a good honest airplane, and I like it. It's not, however, the sort of aircraft that inspires a torrid love affair. I miss my crazy Japanese girl...

She just doesn't have very much fight in her. You know what to expect all of the time. I kind of like mines fiesty and unpredictable...but only to a certain extinct. I mean I don't want to walk in normal and come out limping or anything. Just a little excitement in my life. Yes I'm talking about the airplane.:D

She just doesn't have very much fight in her. You know what to expect all of the time. I kind of like mines fiesty and unpredictable...but only to a certain extinct. I mean I don't want to walk in normal and come out limping or anything. Just a little excitement in my life. Yes I'm talking about the airplane.:D
We need to get you to Bedford stat!

1900 is a dream the metro is a nasty red headed step child.

I'm just curious... how good was the Beech 99 as an airliner? I know it makes a great freighter and does well for a lot of companies, but how was it when it first came out? Who actually flew these things with people (which companies?)?

I've never understood why beech made an unpressurized twin turbine. It's great for the single pilot freight ops, it's easy enough to throw oxygen on if you need it, but having a plane full of passengers I wouldn't think would go overly well if a pilot needed to start climbing (for ice, thunderstorms, etc.).

I'm sure not knocking the airplane that a lot of people on here are flying, I just don't know much of the history behind them and how well they did straight out of the factory. Anybody know?

Mesaba and Air Wisconsin used them as airliners......in the late 70's and early 80's.

Bar Harbor flew them. Was a primary part of their fleet.

Britt Airways flew them. A lot of their routes, at least initially, were around 100 nm give or take.

Back