Positive Aircraft Control

juxtapilot

Snowflake
"Positive Aircraft Control" is a special emphasis area in the PTS. What does positive control actually mean? Would a definition be "Aviate, navigate, communicate" or could it be the overall concept of Positive control and exchange of controls, ADM, CFIT and Situational awareness? Anyone know of an FAA publication that defines it?

"Positive Aircraft Control" is a special emphasis area in the PTS. What does positive control actually mean? Would a definition be "Aviate, navigate, communicate" or could it be the overall concept of Positive control and exchange of controls, ADM, CFIT and Situational awareness? Anyone know of an FAA publication that defines it?

I take it as "are they thinking and ahead of the aircraft, or are they holding on for dear life on the tail of the aircraft?". Put another way, "are they flying the plane, or is the plane flying them?"

Positive control and exchange of controls, ADM, CFIT and Situational awareness. that is what i have always been taught when preping for and oral exam. in reality it pretty much means everything you do from start to shutdown

Teach them how to fly and they will have it. It is the all inclusive, kind of like "and all aspects related to that flight."

I take it as "are they thinking and ahead of the aircraft, or are they holding on for dear life on the tail of the aircraft?". Put another way, "are they flying the plane, or is the plane flying them?"
I was about to say the same things in almost the exact same words.

MikeD hit the nail on the head. "Are they flying the plane, or is the plane flying them?" is the perfect description of Positive Aircraft Control. The pilot understands what control movements need to be used to get the results that he desires, and carries them out with precision and elan.

It starts from off chock, goes all the way to on chock.

It's like the phrase that fills in all the cracks that the PTS misses between startup, taxi, take-off, enroute, approach, and landing. If they taxi like a NYC cab driver, or take-off on the far side of the runway, or he/she fails to keep his/her head outside the aircraft during flight(Also collision avoidance).

Pretty much anything that makes me uncomfortable about the applicants ability to safely conduct a flight from start to finish, you'll see 'Positive Aircraft Control' on my eval sheet.

MikeD hit the nail on the head. "Are they flying the plane, or is the plane flying them?" is the perfect description of Positive Aircraft Control. The pilot understands what control movements need to be used to get the results that he desires, and carries them out with precision and elan.

I was about to say the same things in almost the exact same words.

Wise minds think alike! :)

Back