flight training while on tourist visa

cypilot77

Hi friends,
i have a friend-student from India who wants to come in the states and get his CPL. He already holds an ICAO PPL. Most probably he will be done in less than 4 months. Is it possible to do his training while on tourist visa? (assuming he has clearance from TSA)
He just wants to avoid the student visa hassle plus the school im working doesnt issue visas. Any of you had similar situations??
Thanks

Hi friends,
i have a friend-student from India who wants to come in the states and get his CPL. He already holds an ICAO PPL. Most probably he will be done in less than 4 months. Is it possible to do his training while on tourist visa? (assuming he has clearance from TSA)
He just wants to avoid the student visa hassle plus the school im working doesnt issue visas. Any of you had similar situations??
Thanks

No, he cannot train on a tourist visa.

He would be allowed to take up to 2 introductory flights according to TSA if I remember correctly. But beyond that, no.

I am now the world expert on this. I did my PPL in Aug '01 in the good old days. Now to do an ME addon or an IR, you need to be TSA checked as well as getting a visa. ANY training which leads to a certificate being issued requires a visa, not all need additional TSA clearance. As I hold an FAA PPL I could do the Commercial just on the visa, without having to submit another TSA request. If you convert the ICAO to FAA and then apply for a visa (I turned mine around in 5 days, but that's definately the exception) that should be all you need.

Prearrange with the flight school, pay your TSA fee, pay the SEVIS (ice.gov) fee, get your I-20, fill in the visa forms, pay the visa fee, get fingerprinted twice (govt agencies don't talk to each other), and you're good to go - way overboard on the paperwork, fees and effort required...

Alex.

I am now the world expert on this. I did my PPL in Aug '01 in the good old days. Now to do an ME addon or an IR, you need to be TSA checked as well as getting a visa. ANY training which leads to a certificate being issued requires a visa, not all need additional TSA clearance. As I hold an FAA PPL I could do the Commercial just on the visa, without having to submit another TSA request. If you convert the ICAO to FAA and then apply for a visa (I turned mine around in 5 days, but that's definately the exception) that should be all you need.

Prearrange with the flight school, pay your TSA fee, pay the SEVIS (ice.gov) fee, get your I-20, fill in the visa forms, pay the visa fee, get fingerprinted twice (govt agencies don't talk to each other), and you're good to go - way overboard on the paperwork, fees and effort required...

Alex.

I-20 is a studet visa not a tourist visa

Back