Southwest behind RAH buying Frontier and Midwest

Seggy

Is Southwest behind RAH buying Frontier and Midwest?

Look at the timing of the announcement when RAH announced that they were buying 190s and when Southwest announced service into MKE....awfully fishy.

Frontier has been a thorn in the side of Southwest in Denver. Could Southwest have pushed RAH to make these purchases? Was it a consideration when RAH pulled the trigger?

Just thinking out loud.

Interesting thoughts.

Now, here's the kicker...what's in it for BB? Cash? Int'l feed? HI codeshare?

I doubt it. Only difference is Frontier would now be a wholly owned subsidiary of RAH acting as a thorn in the side of SWA. I doubt RAH bought into Frontier just to make them go away. Same with Midwest.

Look at the timing of the announcement when RAH announced that they were buying 190s and when Southwest announced service into MKE....awfully fishy.

Frontier has been a thorn in the side of Southwest in Denver. Could Southwest have pushed RAH to make these purchases? Was it a consideration when RAH pulled the trigger?

Just thinking out loud.

Perhaps SWA just questions the motivation of BB and RAH.. and the merits of their operation.

MKE fits their style. Moving in when there's blood in the water would seem like good business. Then again, I do love a good conspiracy theory.

A while ago (I believe the early 90's), Milwaukee attempted to entice SWA to begin service there by actually pre-painting and setting up the gate areas in SWA colors. Milwaukee has wanted SWA there for a long time, and it seems like they're finally going for it.

Thats an interesting thought. I think someone much bigger is behind it all hopefully it'll make more sense in the coming months.

Could Southwest have pushed RAH to make these purchases? Was it a consideration when RAH pulled the trigger?

Just thinking out loud.

Such a practice would be highly unethical and illegal under several fiduciary and competition laws.

Such a practice would be highly unethical and illegal under several fiduciary and competition laws.

Ever hear of Enron?

Understand what you said, but highlighy unethical practices take place daily as well as illegal fiduciary and competition laws are broken every day.

Sorry to disrupt your theory, Mark but I think RAH just timed the announcement in attempt to "trump" SWA.

In case of conspiracy, tin foil hats will be handed out in order by date of your most recent alien abduction and or government chip implantation. If you were violently probed or have received pink eye from Scott Baio during said incident, please proceed to the nearest black van that is monitoring you and await further instructions.

That is all

Ever hear of Sarbanes Oxley?

Yes and I am sure some have figured out ways around that law.

Sorry to disrupt your theory, Mark but I think RAH just timed the announcement in attempt to "trump" SWA.

RAH vs. SWA? RAH most likely pissed off United for buying a large competitor of theirs in Denver and then RAH is also pissing off SWA in one of their new markets and another market where they are trying to grow?

I wonder if smart business sense or arrogance is running the ship at RAH.

I don't get why SWA would want RAH to buy Frontier. The only thing that would come of it would be lower operating costs by Frontier (after they ruthlessly slash employee pay and benefits), thus making them a BIGGER threat to SWA.

I'm probably not seeing the big(ger) picture, though?

RAH vs. SWA? RAH most likely pissed off United for buying a large competitor of theirs in Denver and then RAH is also pissing off SWA in one of their new markets and another market where they are trying to grow?

I wonder if smart business sense or arrogance is running the ship at RAH.

Market positioning! I'm sure Bedford figured a while ago that United's serious problems would continue and decided to loan Frontier money, knowing it would pay off down the road. He uses RAH leverage to make an offer for Frontier in anticipation of United filing and thus is able to take a piece of DEN, though RAH will likely lose United flying. He would be basically preparing to offset the companies loses. I think he even mentioned something like that at a recent townhall meeting.

In Midwest's case, the airline is straight up failing and I bet he's really just hoping that RAH can hold on to whatever gates they have. RAH has a much better cash flow than Midwest and can, like TPG pour some money into it. It might be more about strategic positioning than the Midwest brand. Looks to me like he's starting the RAH transition to branded flying and just trying to disrupt SWA and AirTran's latest ad campaigns. Kind of a genius move, I think. Then again, RAH has a good hand right now and that could change with the next hands are dealt.

Just thinking out loud.

Dude, thats what I was thinking too. Maybe the Frontier airbuses flown by RAH pilots will do the "feed" for SWA into the smaller markets of the upper central US out of DEN.

Back