Republic buy Midwest too?

kiloalpha

http://www.kmbc.com/money/19843671/detail.html

Republic Airways of Indianapolis is buying Midwest Airlines. The deal is expected to close in about six weeks.

Tim Hoeksema, the outgoing CEO of Midwest, said that the sale was the right thing to do: "We've actually, in the last few months, have been in a position to generate just tiny, tiny little profit and start to come around. But to really make big strides and go back to growth and be competitive in a very competitive marketplace, this is clearly the right step for us."

Midwest Airlines will continue to operate under the same name. Republic said that the free chocolate chip cookies aren't going anywhere.

Travelers should not have to change their flight plans. It is unknown whether there will be cutbacks at the airline after the sale.

Wow, maybe they should change their name to Empire?

Pretty soon they will.

They are succesful and just keep purchasing other airlines to make themselves bigger (sounds a lot like AT&T prior to their monopoly lawsuit in the 90's).

Wow, I remember seeing a news report on them several years ago saying they had extremely high customer satisfaction. I never had the chance to fly on Midwest though....

At least they'll be keeping the chocolate chip cookies.

Midwest Express was a fantastic carrier.

When I first got hired by Skyway in 1996, Midex had an all first-class configuration, a small route network focusing on conservative growth and high customer service. Treated their employees well, for the most part and damned near everyone was on a first name basis.

"The Best Care in the Air" was actually true for a period of time.

But then, the market changed and folks in Milwaukee started to say, "Why would I want to fly nonstop from MKE to LGA for $X and enjoy an aisle seat, a full-sized steak dinner and impeccable service when I can drive down to ORD/MDW and fly to ISP and then take the LIRR into the city for $X-5?"

So you have a city, barely larger in size and signficance than say, Fresno, stopped supporting the hometown team and are probably wondering why the terminal is so empty.

Plus, Tim Hoeksema lost his ever-loving mind and wrecked the company trying to play big time airline CEO.

I heard part of the contract with Midwest that Skywest has was fitting the YX-dedicated CRJs with ovens so that the F/A could bake fresh cookies for the pax on every flight to give them Midwest style service.

If UA wanted us to give our pax UA style service, they'd probably require our F/As to age 50 years and make it clear to the passengers that they'd much rather be at home than handing them a half cup of Coke.

I heard part of the contract with Midwest that Skywest has was fitting the YX-dedicated CRJs with ovens so that the F/A could bake fresh cookies for the pax on every flight to give them Midwest style service.

If UA wanted us to give our pax UA style service, they'd probably require our F/As to age 50 years and make it clear to the passengers that they'd much rather be at home than handing them a half cup of Coke.

I think YX would even sling hash on a leg from MKE to OMA for a period of time, I might be wrong though. I only generally flew them between MKE and MCO, LAX or SFO.

Oh, if you think 50 is old, wait until you come to a mainline carrier! It's like going on a road trip with your craziest aunts, but worse! :)

Oh, if you think 50 is old, wait until you come to a mainline carrier! It's like going on a road trip with your craziest aunts, but worse! :)
Oh, I don't mind how old the F/As are. But I've noticed the older UA F/As can be as rude as some of the worst Airline passengers I've ever met. Especially when they're trying to non-rev on my flights and insist on cutting a line of people being re-booked so I can re-list them. Yay for being old and bitter!

I've usually had very good experiences riding UAL except for the time about four years ago when the company bought me a ticket to fly from SLC to ORD to pick up an MD-90. One of the flight attendants took great pride in screaming "TRAAAAAAAASH... TRAAAAAASH!" in this angry sneer as she was cleaning up after service. Of course the same one that insisted that I sit somewhere else so a non-rev could take the seat but I was on a paid, full-fare ticket! :)

Midwest Express was a fantastic carrier.

When I first got hired by Skyway in 1996, Midex had an all first-class configuration, a small route network focusing on conservative growth and high customer service. Treated their employees well, for the most part and damned near everyone was on a first name basis.

"The Best Care in the Air" was actually true for a period of time.

But then, the market changed and folks in Milwaukee started to say, "Why would I want to fly nonstop from MKE to LGA for $X and enjoy an aisle seat, a full-sized steak dinner and impeccable service when I can drive down to ORD/MDW and fly to ISP and then take the LIRR into the city for $X-5?"

So you have a city, barely larger in size and signficance than say, Fresno, stopped supporting the hometown team and are probably wondering why the terminal is so empty.

Plus, Tim Hoeksema lost his ever-loving mind and wrecked the company trying to play big time airline CEO.

Used to travel a lot more than now. I would fly the wife and spawn out to see me for long weekends sometimes - BOS, FLL, LAX, LGA. I always put them on Midwest for the flights (when they had all first class). So, for years my daughter thought that flying the airlines was a pleasant and relaxing thing that included wide seats, good service, and delicious chocolate chip cookies served by attentive stewardii. She that that was the norm...:rotfl:

She has since flown other airlines and realizes how nice Midwest used to be. First time on AA she asked the FA for a cookie and ginger ale "please". The bitter old hag gave her a Bisquitti bisquit and a sneer. Yeah...we miss Midwest...

I'm wondering if, as bad as the situation is, the merger improves it any for the YX pilots. With all on furlough (or going to be soon) and all their flying farmed out, there was no shot of them ever seeing them recalled (unless they brought the E-Jets in house). Now that the flying and furloughed pilots belong to the same company, is there any shot they'll see recall? Albeit they'd still be at regional wages and work rules, but it's something.

So, I take it TPG and Delta, if they were involved at all, were just in it for the $$$.

Shocker...two companies put up their own money...and lots of other peoples money...and they were just in it for the money. Why else would they be in it? If they were in it for any other reason, then their shareholders would rightly be pissed.

Back