AOPA scam!

dpgtime

Are any of you getting called 4 times a day from the (801) 484 1107 number? They say they are AOPA notifying me that my membership has expired! I tell them I renewed a few months ago! Then ask why if I made a payment would they not know I am still current!! Then the representative says "Oh, must be a mistake you are probably current!!!"...It seems they are targeting people who forget about their membership expiration...BEWARE!!

Are any of you getting called 4 times a day from the (801) 484 1107 number? They say they are AOPA notifying me that my membership has expired! I tell them I renewed a few months ago! Then ask why if I made a payment would they not know I am still current!! Then the representative says "Oh, must be a mistake you are probably current!!!"...It seems they are targeting people who forget about their membership expiration...BEWARE!!

The question is - how do they know to call current/former AOPA members?! Where do they get the list from? Is AOPA selling it?

The information posted by scooter2525 pretty well explained the question. I.E., it is a number associated with a scam artist and not AOPA.

You should probably call AOPA and let them know of the scammer’s activates so they can help protect other members who might be suckered into giving them their credit card number. AOPA is 1-800-USA-AOPA.

Apparently, there are scam artists out there that buy information from different parties and use it to trick people into sending them money. My wife and I were introduced to one of them last summer. They obviously bought old dept records from somewhere and were trying to get money out of us. They threatened us with warrants and stuff. At first, I was curious, but when they threatend us with the law enforcement stuff, I knew it was a rouse. So, we started calling the numbers back and found that the "staff" had no idea who was calling. It was a nightly thing for us for about 2 weeks. After dinner we'd call them and give them phony "case numbers" and eventually they'd realize the joke was on them. We got mostly hang ups, but a few times I got a good cussin' in my ear. It was great to be on the other side! :rawk:

Nice. . .now the question asks how they got your number / name / contact information from AOPA.

Guess that's what your membership money is going towards - weak information security.

Nice. . .now the question asks how they got your number / name / contact information from AOPA.

Guess that's what your membership money is going towards - weak information security.

Josh, dont turn this into an AOPA bashing jerk-off session.

Pretty soon your gonna have guys saying " What has ALPA done for you? Low pay and bad work rules, or maybe a furlough?"

I wouldnt say it, but pretty soon someone will. ;)

AOPA says this is real and they hire a telemarketing company to harass us pilots....They are getting desperate. They also lost my payment.... I will not renew with AOPA. am done with that no good organization.

Back