GPS 396 quick Help???

BTAcola

A buddy of mine is flying a private jet that has a Garmin 396 on the CAs side and he said that while en route today, the captain showed him a "yellow grid overlay" on the 396. Neither were sure what it was, so he called me wanting to know, and I have no idea what he is in reference to?

Anyone heard of this? He said it was a yellow gird that covered pretty much the whole US? And it only happens at certain ranges, like 80 zoom or 200zoom, etc etc.

Thoughts?

Mine has been doing the same since this last Friday. Not sure what's going on with it. I'm taking a guess that Garmin has been getting a lot of phone calls over it (all of my friends who have 396's have the same issue). It appears as if the whole U.S. is under a TFR according to the stupid thing, but other than the cross-hatching it works the same as it did before. I'm guessing the situation will be rectified by Garmin in the near future, but I have not called them, so I am unsure.

Mine has been doing that too. Its only in the far out ranges so it isn't too annoying.

I was on with Fort Wayne approach last night and the controller and another pilot were having a conversation about it. The controller ended up calling FSS about the "TFR" and they said they were getting a lot of calls on it. Apparently it's a glitch with Garmin on a TFR that is supposed to be centered somewhere in North Dakota.

I was on with Fort Wayne approach last night and the controller and another pilot were having a conversation about it. The controller ended up calling FSS about the "TFR" and they said they were getting a lot of calls on it. Apparently it's a glitch with Garmin on a TFR that is supposed to be centered somewhere in North Dakota.

This makes perfect sense!!! OUTSTANDING!! GOTTA LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!

See if you guys can report back up when you notice the "tfr" has lifted.

Not a glitch. The TSA has implemented a nationwide TFR. You can no longer depart, or land, without receiving explicit permission from the agency to do so. In order to gain clearance to take off, you must visit their local office at your point of departure, undergo a stringent psychatric evaluation which will be administered by a chimpanzee. After your results are returned in the form of banana peels, on a scale of 1 to 5, you will be finger printed, cavity searched, and you must sacrifice your first born male child. Only then will you be issued a holographic security badge that must be scanned at the front door of the FBO. Only 13% of FBOs nationwide have been able to afford the $100,000 badge scanners, so good luck getting out to your airplane. The TSA is still trying to determine how to issue pre-landing screenings and clearances to airborne aircraft, so again, good luck landing without getting intercepted or shot down.

Not a glitch. The TSA has implemented a nationwide TFR. You can no longer depart, or land, without receiving explicit permission from the agency to do so. In order to gain clearance to take off, you must visit their local office at your point of departure, undergo a stringent psychatric evaluation which will be administered by a chimpanzee. After your results are returned in the form of banana peels, on a scale of 1 to 5, you will be finger printed, cavity searched, and you must sacrifice your first born male child. Only then will you be issued a holographic security badge that must be scanned at the front door of the FBO. Only 13% of FBOs nationwide have been able to afford the $100,000 badge scanners, so good luck getting out to your airplane. The TSA is still trying to determine how to issue pre-landing screenings and clearances to airborne aircraft, so again, good luck landing without getting intercepted or shot down.

No wonder your a riddle rat... :yup:

I saw over on the AOPA forums, that somebody figured out what they did. The TFR up at Grand Forks AFB was set up wrong in the system. Basically, what they did was add two zeros to the distances of the TFR. So, rather than being like a 10 nm radius ring, they ended up with like 1000. Fun stuff.

Back