A Couple Questions Regarding My Trip

TXTBOOK

Hey everyone, I noticed 2 things that were strange to me traveling from LAX to ORD on an AAL Super 80. Thought someone could shed some light.

First: I looked up, and saw one of the 2 pilots (not sure if it was C or FO) standing outside the cockpit, on the airplane phone. Then, the cockpit door opens, and the super hot FA walks out, and the pilot walks in and closes the door. Is there a requirement that a crew member must take the seat of one of the pilots when they get up for some reason? What was going on here?

Second: Right before landing (a pretty bumpy approach), the pilot applied quite a bit of power. I'm talking about no more than 25 feet off the ground when I heard the engines spool and felt the power. I was sure we were going around, but then the power dropped off, we touched down, reverse thrusters, etc. I've never experienced a jolt of thrust like that near touchdown, and was wondering what what going on here.

Hey everyone, I noticed 2 things that were strange to me traveling from LAX to ORD on an AAL Super 80. Thought someone could shed some light.

First: I looked up, and saw one of the 2 pilots (not sure if it was C or FO) standing outside the cockpit, on the airplane phone. Then, the cockpit door opens, and the super hot FA walks out, On a AA MD-80. and the pilot walks in and closes the door. Is there a requirement that a crew member must take the seat of one of the pilots when they get up for some reason? What was going on here? Yes, not going to get any more out of me.

Second: Right before landing (a pretty bumpy approach), the pilot applied quite a bit of power. I'm talking about no more than 25 feet off the ground when I heard the engines spool and felt the power. I was sure we were going around, but then the power dropped off, we touched down, reverse thrusters, etc. I've never experienced a jolt of thrust like that near touchdown, and was wondering what what going on here.Could be a number of things nothing bad.

First: I looked up, and saw one of the 2 pilots (not sure if it was C or FO) standing outside the cockpit, on the airplane phone. Then, the cockpit door opens, and the super hot FA walks out, and the pilot walks in and closes the door. Is there a requirement that a crew member must take the seat of one of the pilots when they get up for some reason? What was going on here?

Second: Right before landing (a pretty bumpy approach), the pilot applied quite a bit of power. I'm talking about no more than 25 feet off the ground when I heard the engines spool and felt the power. I was sure we were going around, but then the power dropped off, we touched down, reverse thrusters, etc. I've never experienced a jolt of thrust like that near touchdown, and was wondering what what going on here.

I'm calling Bravo-Sierra for the reasons highlighted above.

Well I don't know why the first part is highlighted. It was American airlines and I grew up hearing my dad call them Super 80's so sorry if that was wrong or uncool or something...

As for the second highlight, I doubt the event would have caught my attention with out this key feature of the flight.

Well I don't know why the first part is highlighted. It was American airlines and I grew up hearing my dad call them Super 80's so sorry if that was wrong or uncool or something...

As for the second highlight, I doubt the event would have caught my attention with out this key feature of the flight.
No, what I think he's saying is you wont find any hotties on AAL, let alone an AAL MD80.

Only Grannies, Gays, and Ghettos.

Yes, two people in the cockpit is a good thing.

Nothing out of the ordinary. Keep in mind the engines are producing quite a bit of power during an approach with the gear down and flaps down. The airplane isn't simply gliding in. If you remove power the plane decelerates quick with all that drag.

In this case I imagine the pilot simply felt through sight/sound/seat of his pants that the energy state of the aircraft was not ideal coming over the end of the runway. A little addition of power can arrest an undesirably high descent rate or prevent an undesirably high descent rate from developing. Basically he was just making a last second correction.

Maby he did not have enough power and was coming in too hard so he needed to add some power?

First: FO's need some lovin' too :D

Second: A correction for a bad approach. (guessing)

Yes it is a regulation that a Flight Attendant has to occupy the seat of the pilot needing to relieve him/herself. This safety precaution is in place for a number of reasons.

There is no security information here, just common sense. What if the one pilot had a seizure or heart attack while the other one was in the can or otherwise out of the cockpit?

I was on a Northwest A330 a couple months ago with a fairly attractive FA and in the middle of the flight in what seemed like level flight they made several power changes over the course of a 10 minute period. They seemed to go from idle to almost full power. Any ideas what that was about?

There is no security information here, just common sense. What if the one pilot had a seizure or heart attack while the other one was in the can or otherwise out of the cockpit?

If you were responding to me, I was referring to the "grannies, gays and ghetto" comment. sorry for the confusion....:eek:

I was on a Northwest A330 with a fairly attractive FA and in the middle of the flight in what seemed like level flight they made several power changes over the course of a 10 minute period. They seemed to go from idle to almost full power. Any ideas what that was about?

Maybe someone accidently tripped the A/T off, or set the wrong speed in?

Back