Need to be pointed in the right direction..

JWages

I've always had a passion for flying, but until recently, I've always kept it quiet and haven't talked much about it because I was always going to do 'business'. Well, after my first semester of business classes, I decided I was going to be true to myself and try to become a Pilot for a major airline.

So.. my question is.. where should I start? :confused:

I've always had a passion for flying, but until recently, I've always kept it quiet and haven't talked much about it because I was always going to do 'business'. Well, after my first semester of business classes, I decided I was going to be true to myself and try to become a Pilot for a major airliner.

By continuing your business education. Stay as far away from flying airplanes for a living as possible - you'll be able to afford your own if you advance up the business ladder.

If you fail to heed this advice, at least do the continue your current education part. Fly on the side.... part 61 or part 141 flight training can be had at your local airport for much cheaper than a dedicated aviation degree will offer it for.

Have you ever flown a plane? That might be the place to start to see if you even like it.

Like the previous poster said, stay in school.

at least do the continue your current education part. Fly on the side.... part 61 or part 141 flight training can be had at your local airport for much cheaper than a dedicated aviation degree will offer it for.

:yeahthat:

Start by just starting. Go to your local airport and take a discovery flight. Find a good instructor and see if it is something you truly want to dedicate time to, let alone your entire life. But continue your education, avoid taking out a loan to fly, and continue to read through the forums and ask for advice....oh, and enjoy the ride.

I'm definitely staying in school. Thats a no-brainer. I"ve never actually flown a plane, but I love everything about flying. Why do you suggest to stay away from flying airplanes for a living? I think it'd be something I could enjoy doing every time I go to work.

Well, the problem with flying for a career, is there is alot of sacrifice that you never see at first.

It's not the flying part that people become pessimistic about, rather, it living out of hotels, never being home, furloughs, being away holidays, being paid lower than the local garbage man at times (think first 5 years unless you get IN). Flying attracts its share of ego's and eggheads, so watch out.

A good friend said "once the door is closed, everything is great", referring to the cockpit door of the little jet he was/is piloting.

Dig deep and sift thoroughly my friend. Because I encourage you to get into flying, but think hard before you want to jump into a flying career.

Well, the problem with flying for a career, is there is alot of sacrifice that you never see at first.

It's not the flying part that people become pessimistic about, rather, it living out of hotels, never being home, furloughs, being away holidays, being paid lower than the local garbage man at times (think first 5 years unless you get IN). Flying attracts its share of ego's and eggheads, so watch out.

A good friend said "once the door is closed, everything is great", referring to the cockpit door of the little jet he was/is piloting.

Dig deep and sift thoroughly my friend. Because I encourage you to get into flying, but think hard before you want to jump into a flying career.

Well, you see, the living out of hotels isn't what I'm concerned about because I would be doing that anyway if I just went into business. (international business to be specific). I'd rather be away from friends and family doing something I like, rather than just doing something for the money.

An "airline" flies "airliners". An "airliner" is an airplane, not a company.

Well, you see, the living out of hotels isn't what I'm concerned about because I would be doing that anyway if I just went into business. (international business to be specific). I'd rather be away from friends and family doing something I like, rather than just doing something for the money.

Maybe you should be:

The hotel that this picture comes from in Jackson, MS, stayed in our system for a number of years, even with DOCUMENTATION in pictures of how bad it was...

Attachments

• bbugs.jpg
    bbugs.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 75
Maybe you should be:

The hotel that this picture comes from in Jackson, MS, stayed in our system for a number of years, even with DOCUMENTATION in pictures of how bad it was...

I believe there are bigger things in life to worry about then bed bugs. :p

I believe there are bigger things in life to worry about then bed bugs. :p

Well, how about <8 hour overnights with 1/2 hour van rides to and from hotels with a 1/2 hour show time. If you hate sleeping, this is the job for you, because overnights are guaranteed to deprive you of that.

Sure, justify staying in crappy hotels all you want, just as an example. Your business acumen I'm sure would allow you to stay at Hiltons, while we stay at what could be called Motel6's, but they aren't even that good.

Well, how about <8 hour overnights with 1/2 hour van rides to and from hotels with a 1/2 hour show time. If you hate sleeping, this is the job for you, because overnights are guaranteed to deprive you of that.

Sure, justify staying in crappy hotels all you want, just as an example. Your business acumen I'm sure would allow you to stay at Hiltons, while we stay at what could be called Motel6's, but they aren't even that good.

If it is so bad, why are you still doing it? ;)

If it is so bad, why are you still doing it? ;)

Trust me, you would be wise not to get into the business. I currently don't have a backup plan since I did an aviation-oriented education. I'm working on changing it, because the treatment we receive is atrocious. P.S. There's nothing funny or "wink"-worthy about this.:banghead:

And I don't think I want some starry-eyed person as a co-worker, honestly. Don't leave your blinders on because it "couldn't be that bad".

It's something that I want to do and I WILL have a backup plan as I'm not getting into an aviation degree.

I've always had a passion for flying, but until recently, I've always kept it quiet and haven't talked much about it because I was always going to do 'business'. Well, after my first semester of business classes, I decided I was going to be true to myself and try to become a Pilot for a major airline.

Take everything here with a grain of salt. That's not to say ignore it, but realize that in aviation as other fields there are those that are happy and those that are not.

Take everything here with a grain of salt. That's not to say ignore it, but realize that in aviation as other fields there are those that are happy and those that are not.

:whatever:

That's what I thought when I used to lurk here.... the truth is, those who are happy got lucky.

There's no good regional to fly for, and that's pretty much where you have to start after instructing for a while.

That's what I thought when I used to lurk here.... the truth is, those who are happy got lucky.

There's no good regional to fly for, and that's pretty much where you have to start after instructing for a while.

So every pilot has to go to a regional, OK... :rolleyes:

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

Sorry things aren't going as you had hoped.

I would be fine struggling through the regional years. Eventually, you'll get to move up.

Back