Question About ATP Program

dejayou

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am currently three semesters (expect to graduate Dec. 2010) away from getting my B.S. I have always wanted to be a pilot, and in high school I was lucky enough to get about 20 hours paid for me. I have always longed to get back into the air, and I think, after I graduate, I will go for my dream. I have begun looking into flight school options, and ATP's total immersion programs seem to be a good fit for how I learn. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the ACPP with Gulfstream First Officer Internship program. To me, it seems like a good opportunity to get a lot of experience, but I am rather new to all of the qualifications and what not. Any information and/or opinions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Welcome to JC! You will get responses from both sides of the fence here regarding this subject (and most others too). Since this topic has been discussed many times, my suggestion is the search function and read the past threads. If they don't answer your questions, then post specific questions and you will get some answers. I went there, worked there, and have moved on since, so you can PM me also if you want.

It's all good. JC has been around for a while and the mods do a good job of not deleting even the most heated threads. So there's a lot of information to digest.

Having completed my private and the ACPP program at ATP I can say I sort of recommend it. If you can find a great instructor and good equipment at a lower price somewhere else, I recommend exploring that option.

I like to think I have a keen ability to take a step back from a situtation and analyze alternatives. Aside from the bringing down the industry argument, I think forking out $25k (possibly $25k + interest) to go to Gulfstream "academy" and perform a function that other guys are out there getting paid (even menial wages) seems kinda dumb. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Welcome to JC. It's a great place. Do yourself a favor and stick around!

Falcon has a program with Gulfstream too? How come there hasn't been a big stink raised about that?

It's all good. JC has been around for a while and the mods do a good job of not deleting even the most heated threads. So there's a lot of information to digest.

Having completed my private and the ACPP program at ATP I can say I sort of recommend it. If you can find a great instructor and good equipment at a lower price somewhere else, I recommend exploring that option.

I like to think I have a keen ability to take a step back from a situtation and analyze alternatives. Aside from the bringing down the industry argument, I think forking out $25k (possibly $25k + interest) to go to Gulfstream "academy" and perform a function that other guys are out there getting paid (even menial wages) seems kinda dumb. YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Welcome to JC. It's a great place. Do yourself a favor and stick around!

Hey, thanks! That's good to hear about ATP. After, getting a better picture of the issues behind a PFJ, I have gotten a better understanding of why there is a lot of discontent with the internship program, and I think that you make a great point. Thanks for your opinion.

I would not advise ATP as your choice. I am a ATP graduate and I did get through the program alright but I saw a lot of people kicked out of the program after spending their money on training. The corporate side treats their staff and students like crap. They are being sued by an instructor even for being forced to fly broken airplanes. Not to mention they dont give you all the multi time they say they will. Most of the instructors are good but they still have to take orders from corporate. Good luck

I would also recommend that you look into some other options out there. Right now there is really no ADVANTAGE of getting your ratings done in 90 days. As already pointed out we have a lot of sponors on the page.

Take a look at them. Skymates, Ariben, Star Bright, White Aviation etc. In addition depending on your location I can also recommend an FBO I know of with top notch equipment that could do a program competitive with ATP in the total time and multi but with nearly new equipment based in Indianapolis (Indyaero). I'm sure there are others you can find as well.

May I ask as to how you are going to finance this new desire to become a pilot? In addition I had three months left when I thought about the switch. I finished all my ratings through and up to CFI before I graduated. Check out a local FBO. You might be able to start TOMORROW. Just a thought.

Hi milehighpilot08,

Welcome to Jetcareers!

Don't forget that there's a few hundred more posts in the ATP forums that you can post your experience in. ;)

Bob

Back