Instructing at DWC, payscale

Mattio

I'm interested in possibly instructing at DWC in the fall and was wondering if anyone knows if I would start right away as a "Level 3" instructor since I already have my CFI-I and MEI?

They just laid off over 10 high level instructors. Apparently the administration say it's temporary (for the summer) but a few CFIs I've flown with over the last couple years were involved and they tell me there's a good shot it may turn out being longer than just the summer.

Obviously I never got the chance to interview as I just ogt my CFI in the winter and things were already bad... but I'm not sure whether you'd jump directly to level 3 or if you'd still have to go through their upgrade training. My thinking is you'd have to do a shortened training program.

Let me know if you have any questions. I just finished up there.

Everyone starts at the bottom and has to work their way up (its not a seniority system, however). They have a certain curriculum for each level that you must go through. It's not just to get the ratings, but to learn how to teach things the way they want you to teach them.

Graduated '03, then worked there from '05-'07. Unfortunately the economy has taken it's toll though and as mentioned above they just "furloughed" approximately half the CFIs for the summer (maybe longer), maybe not quite that many but I don't expect them to be looking for new hires for some time unless some big changes are made. Last I heard also the incoming fall class is smaller, or at least they were behind on the numbers from this time last year. Could change though, don't give up hope it's a great job if you can get it. Yes you start entry level and go through curriculum to get up to level 3, but it's all paid for by them, no cost to you...this year there has been some slowing in the upgrading though due to that cost, but I would think if they need the CFIs back in the fall/whenever, there will also be a need perhaps for the upgrading again. One other thing, after getting F'd from my 121 gig I was able to go back and do a little instructing there last fall, they just couldn't afford to keep me on after that but still a cool thing to be able to come back to so if you're good to them they'll be good to you.

I'm interested in possibly instructing at DWC in the fall and was wondering if anyone knows if I would start right away as a "Level 3" instructor since I already have my CFI-I and MEI?

I instructed there last fall. You will start at level zero and upgrade regardless of previous time and ratings.

Unfortunately, they are seriously in a down turn. They furloughed half of the CFIs this summer and I will venture a guess that many will not return for the fall. Upgrades are frozen too.

That being said, DWC was a great place to fly and I loved every day I was there (except payday that is).

I hope to see them hiring again soon, but keep an eye one the papers, there may be a different future for DWC since It's sale to ITT.

Back