Airplane Owners...Insurance Question

HeyEng

I am curious what you all have for liablilty coverages? It's about time to renew and am thinking of the 500,000/100,000. I currently have 1,000,000/100,000 and think it might be overkill. What do you think?

I am curious what you all have for liablilty coverages? It's about time to renew and am thinking of the 500,000/100,000. I currently have 1,000,000/100,000 and think it might be overkill. What do you think?

How much do you fly, what kind of flying do you do, what are you flying...
When we had our planes at a flight school we had 1million/100k.
If I was you, not really knowing your situation, I'd go with the smaller amount.

You own a plane. To the general, non-flying public, that makes you a millionair. If something happens, then they are going to sue and sue big. Is the savings worth it? Have you shopped around?

I'm covered for $1 million/$100k in my C-140 and it only costs me $180/year.

$180 is *nothing* in the whole scheme of things. We're talking about 2.5% of my total operating budget for the year ($7k).

Don't scrimp on insurance. It's easy to blow through a million without even thinking about it. Crash in to a Citation on the ramp....*pooof*...there goes a million bucks. Do a forced landing in a school playground and hit a kid...*pooof*...there goes a million. You get the idea.

Another way to look at it is the cost of self-insuring. Do you think you could go 5,556 years without having a million dollar claim? That's what it would take at $180/year to save $1 million.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Buy as much insurance as you can reasonably afford.

I will have to look when I get home.

Not sure, but I agree with with jrh... buy as much as you can afford.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will keep my current coverage. I wish it was only $180!!! As a non-IR PPL...it's quite a bit more than that!

Back