It's offical, UND here i come!

Thunder-Robo

Well, i've made the decision to come down to UND for the coming Fall semester... All that i'm waiting for is my I-20 to come in the mail.

Anyways, just wanted to meet a few of you before i came down... Perhaps have someone show me around when i get there? Name's Derek, although my passport or driver's lis would say otherwise, ill be staying in Noren Hall for the first year... I'm your typical white-washed asain as my girlfriend says... Don't speak a word of chinese, don't like chinese food, and dont really think of myself as being asain...

Some Questions bout ND.
-What are some of the popular hangouts?
-Where's the good food at? (or at least places that are safe to eat at)
-Fun things to do? (i know this one is short)
-Address of a drive-in rental locker/garage? (my car needs constant maintenance, and lots of methanol to stay on the road)
-Christian youth-groups?
-General tips? (How/Where you met the friends that you hang out with, what's the norm of the school, where to stay away from... random like that)

Thanks.
Derek

ADDED
How are the Aviation Laptops that UND makes you get?

Hey Derek, I'm Lewis. I'll also be joining you in Grand Forks in the Fall. I'm transferring from a UND Aerospace flight training center in North Carolina. Funnily enough, I chose Noren Hall as my primary choice (because of the new furniture - free lofts!), but I'm still waiting to hear my actual assignment.

Where are you coming from?
EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your location, I'm guessing somewhere around Toronto. :)

Here's from another post of mine:

Well, my do not eat at list in Grand Forks include:
Great Wall Buffet - cold food, closed for health reasons, etc
Applebees - Got dirt on a chicken sandwich once, and a moldy tomato slice
Village Inn - You know, good menu, crappy staff. Got a glass of water with a fly in the top of the ice. Told the server, came back, WITH THE SAME GLASS, SAME FLY, Just less water, like she tried to just drain the fly out... quality
Italian Moon - Start the whining, but I've gotten served cold chili, twice, bad produce, and chicken that was really low quality and tasted like it was reheated (via microwave).
Blue Moose - Never gotten a good meal there
Applebees EGF, mixed service there

Now place I do go to... a lot.
Rhombus Guys, Can't say enough nice things, awesome menu
BWW - Had 1 or 2 bad meals, but manager always made it right
Green Mill - Jim Bean wings are awesome, salads always great
Hardees - No seriously, they've gotten better and are pretty good consistently
Konnechiwa - Always great, expensive like Rhombus but worth it
Golden Coral, I've only been there 4 times, nothing great, but definitely palatable
Taco Bell on S Washington - Much better than 32nd ave.
5th floor - basically lunch everyday (do not eat at the terminal!)
Groceries at Hugos on 32nd Ave - The butchers know their stuff and the produce is consistently the best in town

As far as Red Pepper, not a fan, but I don't have anything against them.

You'll find yourself going to Fargo for really great food. I recommend Granite City and Hu Hot.

The Parriots Cay has really good food (You must be 21 to eat there). At first I was skeptical because of the looks of the place but they have really good Wings, Cajun Fries, and Lavosh (This is the first place I've ever heard of Lavosh and now I'm addicted. It's kind of like pizza but on a cracker like bread.)

-What are some of the popular hangouts? Unless you are over 21 and going out to the bars probably none lol
-Where's the good food at? Blue Moose, China Garden or if you are only on a meal plan I prefer Terrace over Wilkerson.
-Fun things to do? Drive around town until you run out of gas or have a friend who is 21 go buy you a handle of captain morgan and go get drunk with your friends. It's probably cheaper to get drunk then drive around and pay for gas.
-Address of a drive-in rental locker/garage? I assume you mean a car shop? I've never really been but Rydell seems really big around here, maybe someone can chime in that has experience with them.
-Christian tough-groups? A what? Maybe you mean something the Students for Christ group or w/e the name of it is.
-General tips? Stay away from the Coulee or you could get a disease.

-Address of a drive-in rental locker/garage? I assume you mean a car shop? I've never really been but Rydell seems really big around here, maybe someone can chime in that has experience with them.

I think he really means a garage or storage unit.
I rented storage unit for my car for 60 dollars a month over the summer. I'm assuming you can get a bigger one than I had so you have room to work on your car if that is what your talking about. Otherwise some apartment complexes have garages which you may be bale to rent out even if you don't live there. Methanol may be readily available at the dirt track here. Not sure what those cars run on but im sure if you really need it they could point you in the right direction.

The Parriots Cay has really good food (You must be 21 to eat there). At first I was skeptical because of the looks of the place but they have really good Wings, Cajun Fries, and Lavosh (This is the first place I've ever heard of Lavosh and now I'm addicted. It's kind of like pizza but on a cracker like bread.)

SHHHH dont give away the best secret and best food in town!! its crowded enough there already!

seriously, parrots cay is the only thing that made me have the will to live.

Hey Derek, I'm Lewis. I'll also be joining you in Grand Forks in the Fall. I'm transferring from a UND Aerospace flight training center in North Carolina. Funnily enough, I chose Noren Hall as my primary choice (because of the new furniture - free lofts!), but I'm still waiting to hear my actual assignment.

Where are you coming from?
EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your location, I'm guessing somewhere around Toronto. :)

Hey Lewis,

Haha, it'd be cool if we got the same hall. I think the first round of assignments were sent out on the 22nd via email.

ProudPilot,
Thanks for the list!

oktex88,
Damn, sounds like you have to be over 21 to get to the good places.

flyeagle111,
LOL, i guess i'll just have to get drunk and then fly on Vatsim.

oktex88,
Thanks for the tips, and yeah, i meant to type Youth Group.. haha.
Also, I'm looking for a storage locker/garage to keep my 55Gal Barrels of Methanol and tools... damn car.

av8or91,
Bang on. $60 sounds about right, i'll try the apartments when i come, thanks... Dirt track eh?!? that sounds like fun!!

NEW QUESTION!
-How are the Aviation Laptops that the university give you?

What kind of car are you driving that requires alcohol??? I know the ski doo shop on gateway sells alcohol and is the provider for the kart racing track which uses it.

The laptops always worked well for me, and if you ever have a problem you just bring it in and the either fix it or replace it. I just cant get over the fact I spent a little over 3,000 in 3 years to end up with a piece of 3 year old computer with a useless battery.

NEW QUESTION!
-How are the Aviation Laptops that the university give you?

I think the Laptop Program is a rip off. I could have had a nice laptop for as much money I've spent on the laptop "leases". They are basicly just mass produced Dell computers marketed for business use. At least I think they let you keep your laptop when you graduate but they wipe your hard-drive and give you a crappy battery before your leave with it because all the software on it is registered to UND. Good luck trying to get a decent game to run on it nicely.

I think I've spent almost $3,000 in the laptop leases? Wow I can only imagine the kind of laptop I could own right now if I bought a $3,000 and didn't have to lease a UND one.

But hey at least you use it every day in all your aviation classes that it is required for! :sarcasm:

SHHHH dont give away the best secret and best food in town!! its crowded enough there already!

seriously, parrots cay is the only thing that made me have the will to live.

I just turned 21 last month and so my friend Rylie (who I think you probably know) showed me the goodness of the Cay. It is a shame it's always so crowded. It would be really cool if the owner could move it to a better location that is bigger and closer to campus but I guess you shouldn't change what is already doing so good. I actually wanted to go to get a Lavosh today but I think they were closed. Oh well, I will probably be there tomorrow. :)

During the spring semester, I went on a weekly random restaurant outing with a group of my friends. Some of the one's that we enjoyed were:
Al's Grill,
North Side Cafe,
Del's Cafe,
those stick out in my mind, but there were definately others.

I don't mind the laptops at all, haven't had any problems in my 3 years using them. Probably should be an optional program though.

Oh, and Oktex, thanks for trying to get my friend's Jeep unstuck! haha

Oh, and Oktex, thanks for trying to get my friend's Jeep unstuck! haha

lol ya that sucks for your friends. It was really cold that day too. How did they end up getting it out? Wench it out? That thing had mud all the way up to the frame. If your still in GFK for the summer we should hang out because it's pretty boring. I'm still hoping for that call from the FAA lol

I guess we could add that to the list of things to do.. go out on the random minimum maintence roads west of I-29 and get your truck stuck. I've been there and done that. :rawk:

What kind of car are you driving that requires alcohol??? I know the ski doo shop on gateway sells alcohol and is the provider for the kart racing track which uses it.

The laptops always worked well for me, and if you ever have a problem you just bring it in and the either fix it or replace it. I just cant get over the fact I spent a little over 3,000 in 3 years to end up with a piece of 3 year old computer with a useless battery.

It's wrecked 2009 STi with a built/stroked engine that my dad and i worked on, it needs meth to keep the car running cool... i guess it wouldn't be a problem in the winter tho!

Also, Thanks for the info about the laptops.

*Cue JacetheAce*

Oh gawd, I have so much to write, but here's a starter... I will write again later.

Sanders - very good food, the best service (John is the best server I've had ever) and a low priced late night menu. The live jazz every Fridays and Saturdays is sadly gone due to customers complaining about the "noise" (we all know why they complained... it's not country music, XL93, or Christian rock). The owner is looking for a Jazz solo pianist for a replacement to the live music.
Toasted Frog - was good when it first opened, then it seemed to go down hill. Good sweet potato fries, however.
Rhombus Guys - good food and good menu (at least when I was there)
Blue Moose - horrible food and mediocre service. They used to have very good prime rib, but the last two times I had it the prime rib was dry and left under a heat lamp for a long time.
Konichiwa's - here's my review on Yelp.com ...I am listed as "San Diego, CA"

Back