Aircraft Mechanics?

Jeremy

So, since all the talk about the February Buffalo plane crash starting coming up last week, my Mom has been trying to talk me out of becoming a pilot. So, I listened, and I tried to think of aviation related careers that I hadn't already thought of.

I thought about an aircraft mechanic (not sure if that's the correct term). Even for regular private pilots. Since there are supposed to be a lot more pilots graduating, I figured you could make some pretty decent money.

Can anyone give me some info on the subject?

So, I listened

That's your first mistake. Becoming airline pilot is a very physically safe career; having a crash on the front page of the newspaper distorts the risk behind the activity. Don't let your mother's misunderstanding affect your career choice.

So, since all the talk about the February Buffalo plane crash starting coming up last week, my Mom has been trying to talk me out of becoming a pilot. So, I listened, and I tried to think of aviation related careers that I hadn't already thought of.

I thought about an aircraft mechanic (not sure if that's the correct term). Even for regular private pilots. Since there are supposed to be a lot more pilots graduating, I figured you could make some pretty decent money.

Can anyone give me some info on the subject?

I know its you mom, but never, ever let anyone talk you out of what your passion is or what you want to do. If it is not for you find out for yourself and learn something out of it.

What others said.

Having said that, from my understanding an A&P can make a decent living but pay tops out around 50k. Lots of other jobs that oculd be had without the stress of being the man responsible for signing of an aircraft with dozens of people on it.
Now if you get hired on with a govt contract company, such as Boeing, Bell, Sikorsky anda myriad others the pay usually goes up. Especially if you go out of country. Also alot of the mid level management type jobs are filled in by mechs that work their way up and become more along the lines of tech reps versus being out on the line all day turning wrenches.

The kicker to becoming an A&P though is you have to get experience. Either through the military or I guess as an apprentice to an A&P. Or I think if you go to college for it too maybe, but I think its kind of pricey.

I have my A&P but have been unable to use it since obtaining it. Any other questions feel free to pm me or ask here. Also look at the A&P sub forum on the site.

As far as becoming an aircraft mechanic, the pay can be good with the right experience and the right company, but in the interim it can be poor. Aviation maintenance over the past 20 years or so, especially with the airlines who are trying to get the most bang for their buck, is becoming a very knowledge intensive, broad field. No longer is A&P Certificate (Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic- the primary certifications for aircraft mechanics in the United States, often known as the Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Diploma/Certification in other countries) training by itself with no additional experience or training going to suffice in finding a high quality job, especially in the airlines. The ideal candidate for most major airlines, it seems, has at least some college experience, transport or turbine aircraft maintenance experience, basic instrument maintenance skills, and avionics training, the latter requiring in most cases an additional FCC license. Many candidates who have received NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) training are given favorable consideration. Additionally, mechanics may opt to train for an IA certification, but I'm not very familiar with that other than the fact that it deals with inspections. Much of the aforementioned qualifications can be gained in college, from the military, working your way up the experience ladder and taking as much training as your company will give you, or a combination of all three. It's predicted by many that there will be a shortage of qualified aircraft technicians, but with the economy the way it is and the increasing number of outsourcers using unlicensed technicians supervised by a minimal number of A&Ps, I'm not so sure. If you plan on pursuing aircraft maintenance as a career, I would recommend college or the military. There are many schools that offer both two and four year degrees in aircraft maintenance. But if you just want a basic A&P course, there are several technical schools and colleges that offer part time courses to complete the certification.

I concur with the previous advice. Make up your own mind on what you want to do for a living. Statistically you are more likely to die in a motor vehicle accident but I'll bet your Mom doesn't want you to "not drive". There'll be a risk to almost everything you do. How that risk is managed is up to you.

IMHO, you would do well to pursue wrench twisting. Given two equal houred candidates for a job I'll bet the A&P gets it.

BTW, who is going to pay for your career training; you, parents, grants/scholarships?

If you want to turn wrenches, become a car mechanic, the pay is almost twice what an A&P makes.

I'm not kidding.

I would fully support your idea of becoming an aircraft mechanic. I would not support that if it is simply a reaction to your mothers concerns about safety.

An A&P would probably give you a leg-up in most corporate jobs, or Ag flying jobs. Also, a CFI with an A&P could be a nice supplement to your time building income. Also, a regional pilot with an A&P has a nice fall back I would think.

If I were to win Powerball and be able to do anything in the world I wanted, I would probably find an A&P program to do. With this, I would specialize in rebuilding the small displacement Wright's (R760's, R975's, J5's, J6's) as there are very limited people in that niche and one shop in particular that commands heavy prices for this work and is booked for around two years. Also, Warner, Kinner, Leblond/Ken-Royce, and Ranger's can be hard to get worked on. Get a niche, develop the reputation, and make decent money. I have always wanted an engine shop.

Considering the amount of toxic chemicals an A&P encounters on a daily basis, I think it could be more hazardous to your safety than being a pilot. I've also seen and heard of more mechanics having OJIs than pilots.

What others said.

Having said that, from my understanding an A&P can make a decent living but pay tops out around 50k. Lots of other jobs that oculd be had without the stress of being the man responsible for signing of an aircraft with dozens of people on it.

The same could be said for the pilot who flies the aircraft. But, I understand your point.

An A&P would probably give you a leg-up in most corporate jobs, or Ag flying jobs. Also, a CFI with an A&P could be a nice supplement to your time building income. Also, a regional pilot with an A&P has a nice fall back I would think.
Wonder what if any difference it would make if it is expired? The way I understand it, and I havent read the reg since I got my ticket, is that you have to have a minimum of 6 months hisotry out of every 2 years to keep it valid.
If no longer able to excercise your privileges would it still give you a leg up? Mostly curious bc it's been like 7 months since I've touched a wrench.

If your mom can talk you out of being a pilot then she shaved you a lot of time, effort, and money because you probably wouldn't stick it out anyway. If someone tried to talk me out of it I'd probably leave the room, fetch a firehose, and have at them.

Wonder what if any difference it would make if it is expired? The way I understand it, and I havent read the reg since I got my ticket, is that you have to have a minimum of 6 months hisotry out of every 2 years to keep it valid.
If no longer able to excercise your privileges would it still give you a leg up? Mostly curious bc it's been like 7 months since I've touched a wrench.

There is no currency requirement for the A&P, you're probably thinking about the IA.

Okay... Just so you know, I didn't say she convinced me, I'm just trying to be open to suggestions... I've changed my mind many different times, but I think something under the Aviation field is probably going to be it.

Just a question... I'm not trying to be rude, but those pilots who crashed the plane in Buffalo, is that a typical starting piloting job? Or were those pilots working for them because they weren't prepared enough for something better? They said they made $16,000 per year... That's like McDonalds salary

Okay... Just so you know, I didn't say she convinced me, I'm just trying to be open to suggestions... I've changed my mind many different times, but I think something under the Aviation field is probably going to be it.

Just a question... I'm not trying to be rude, but those pilots who crashed the plane in Buffalo, is that a typical starting piloting job? Or were those pilots working for them because they weren't prepared enough for something better? They said they made $16,000 per year... That's like McDonalds salary

Pretty much, flying for a regional or 135 freight is where your gonna start, Unless you go the military route. Even if you instruct for 5000 hours, your not gonna get on with a major without some experience in a smaller plane.

And yes, 16-22k a year is typical starting pay for a regional FO or a 135 freight FO. If you choose to CFI for more hours you could possibly get a single pilot 135 freight job and make a bit more.

Honestly, if making money is important to you. Don't become a pilot because its a long road to getting that perfect job where you will actually make decent money. And even when you get that perfect job, you never know when the industry will turn south and you get furloughed and have to start all over at the bottom.

BTW, who is going to pay for your career training; you, parents, grants/scholarships?

Well, unless we win the lottery, me. I'm basically going to try to go to any local college (above community level) that will give me some money. The only reason I say local is because I would get the state-resident discount. Of course if an out of state college wanted to give me a big scholarship, I'd take it.

There is no currency requirement for the A&P, you're probably thinking about the IA.
65.83 says otherwise

Sec. 65.83

Recent experience requirements.

A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months --
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(b) He has, for at least 6 months --
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

IA i sdiscussed in 65.91, 65.92, 65.93, and 65.95

65.83 says otherwise

Sec. 65.83

Recent experience requirements.

A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months --
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(b) He has, for at least 6 months --
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

Go wipe some oil off the cowling. You have performed a maintence task called "cleaning", and are now therefore current.

The reg is so broad that it is effectively useless.

Go wipe some oil off the cowling. You have performed a maintence task called "cleaning", and are now therefore current.

The reg is so broad that it is effectively useless.
Hey I'm not here to argue it one way or another...I'm just saying there IS a reg about currency requirements.

Back