Future American Hiring

blackwings

Hello everyone. I'm curious to know if anyone has any idea what the future holds for anyone wanting to go to American? I have a friend that retired from there and he swears that working for American was the best decision he ever made as a pilot. My question to all the current American pilots is, due you agree with him and is it true that American has a very old pilot group that will start to retire by the masses in the next year or two? Thanks in advance for you everyone's input.

Hello everyone. I'm curious to know if anyone has any idea what the future holds for anyone wanting to go to American? I have a friend that retired from there and he swears that working for American was the best decision he ever made as a pilot. My question to all the current American pilots is, due you agree with him and is it true that American has a very old pilot group that will start to retire by the masses in the next year or two? Thanks in advance for you everyone's input.

At one point maybe, but they've been hit hard in recent years. They will have a good amount of retirements once Age 65 comes into effect but they do still have pilots on furlough. At some point, if the economy recovers in a couple years and Age 65 doesn't change, there is a chance it'll be a good place to go in terms of pilot movement but I doubt that will be for a few years. I'd love to wind up there myself one day. If/when that day comes...I suppose we can get in line with the thousands of other pilots who will want those spots!

Note: any current AA guys or anybody who spots something wrong with that I posted, please correct it! I'm not there yet so I might be wrong!

They've got guys on furlough, but they'll eventually come back and there'll be a need for pilots. Probably won't be very soon, which may prove to be beneficial to you down the road.

I've seen the projected retirement numbers for a few airlines on another forum (or the "other" forum), and the largest numbers were usually shown during the years that people, like me, should be ready to get hired by a legacy (somewhere around age 31-35 for people my age).

By the time you'll be eligible for AA there's going to be flying cars. Seriously, everyone has their favorite Legacy. Mine would be United. But by the time I'll be elligable, I'm thinking about 8-10 years from now I fear there's going to be a whole bunch of Ejets and CRJs and LCCs with one or two Legacies left.

Depends on who you ask as to whether working for any airline is the "best decision" they ever made.

I fly for American Eagle Airlines, the regional carrier for American. At the present, both carriers have (or will have soon) pilots out on furlough.

WHEN they start recalling and have everyone back on property, then, and only then, will things start moving.

Keep in mind also that at this current date, there are somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 or so pilots at American Eagle who already hold American Airlines seniority numbers and, if all goes as planned - they will be brought on board after the furloughs are recalled and BEFORE any hiring "off the street" begins.

When that will happen is anybodies guess.

Best of luck and keep us posted with your progress.

R2F

I think it's going to take at least 7 years before American starts hiring again, given age 65 rule and the state of the economy.

I too have had AA in my sights for a long time. It's my home town airline and would love to be able to stay here and drive be at my airplane in 30 minutes from my house. I believe the youngest guy over there right now is about 33 or 34. So from the time they stopped hiring last to the time they start again will be at least 10 years, probably more like 12 or 15. If you're young, and get on in their first hiring wave, you'll probably pretty much set over there, when you get to your 50's or so. Of course anything can happen in 25 or 30 years.

I think it's going to take at least 7 years before American starts hiring again, given age 65 rule and the state of the economy.

I disagree, granted they have many, many furloughs still out and some at Eagle ready to go; most of the furloughs have been out since 9/11 and likely have moved well on.

I ride on AA weekly to work and the consensus seems to be they could hire off the street sooner than most think. One estimate was early next year, which I thought to be uber optimistic.

Nonetheless, a potential great place to get a seniority number whenever street hiring begins anew.

Agree

I ride on AA weekly to work and the consensus seems to be they could hire off the street sooner than most think. One estimate was early next year, which I thought to be uber optimistic.

Nonetheless, a potential great place to get a seniority number whenever street hiring begins anew.

Before I type my next line I will state this fact: I have been working for the airlines for less than four years.

That said -- I have met at least ten pilots who are on furlough from American Airlines (flew with a couple of them). Some were from TWA and some are nAAtives.

So if every single American pilot were recalled today, quite a few positions throughout the industry would be vacated. There are a lot of them out there and many of them are still flying. That is a good thing. Upon recall, if they take it, a spot opens up somewhere, for someone. Or, they stay where they are (such as JetBlue/Allegiant/Compass captain or FDX/UPS/SWA FO) and American is one spot closer to recalling the next down from them or hiring.

I disagree, granted they have many, many furloughs still out and some at Eagle ready to go; most of the furloughs have been out since 9/11 and likely have moved well on.

Dude, where have you been? Long time no see.:crazy:

I too have had AA in my sights for a long time. It's my home town airline and would love to be able to stay here and drive be at my airplane in 30 minutes from my house. I believe the youngest guy over there right now is about 33 or 34. So from the time they stopped hiring last to the time they start again will be at least 10 years, probably more like 12 or 15. If you're young, and get on in their first hiring wave, you'll probably pretty much set over there, when you get to your 50's or so. Of course anything can happen in 25 or 30 years.

I think the youngest pilot there would be older than 33. Think about it. They would have been 25 in 2001, which could happen, but to survive the furlough of 9/11 they would have been hired when they were 20 or 22 maybe. A little less plausible. I'm just saying.

When I look into my crystal ball I see the economy strong or at least stronger, and airlines growing and hiring again in four years. With AA have many old pilots and expansion coupled with natural attrition in four years, I would say that AA would be the airline to go to. I'm just saying...

Jace is right. 8-10 years before they hire again.

I agree, I'd be more worried about what legacy you can get hired at in the future. Honestly I almost could not care less WHICH one it is. I just hope SOME will be hiring when its time to make the jump.

Didn't AA hire several in 2007 because not all the recalls were coming back at the time?

Or was it just that they recalled alot then?

I agree, I'd be more worried about what legacy you can get hired at in the future. Honestly I almost could not care less WHICH one it is. I just hope SOME will be hiring when its time to make the jump.

More importantly....will they hire ME when it's time to make that jump?:)

Didn't AA hire several in 2007 because not all the recalls were coming back at the time?

Or was it just that they recalled alot then?

There have been no new-hires at AA since 2001.

There were some recalls in 2007. I do not know what their acceptance rate was, or if they have the ability to bypass and for how long if they do.

Back