Where to start???

atomic20v

Hey Guys,

I am just very recently considering ATC as a career option and have no idea where to start. I was wondering if someone could help me out and tell me how likely I am to get hired.

I'm 25 years old with a B.S. degree in engineering summa cum laude. I have 4 years work experience between two companies as an electrical engineer (one of which was Northrop Grumman, the other current one is non-aviation). I have a PPL (SEL) with 60 hrs. TT. I have a third class medical with glasses required. I cannot get a first class medical without a monocular vision wavier (I have a lazy right eye with 20/40 best corrected vision). For this, and other financial reasons, I am abandoning the pilot option.

First question, am I medically qualified to become an ATC?

Second question, given my background, what is the best of the three routes for me to go? I am currently employeed, and don't want to give up that employment until I've got something in the bag. Since I already have a B.S., does that mean I can't go back to another college for AT-CTI? I looked on the FAA website, and the only trainee slots open are for AT-CTI grads. How does a non-AT-CTI grad get a trainee slot? I would prefer to avoid military unless it is my only option (am I too old or not qualified for military)?

Third question, what is the application process? Where do I start?

Last questions, where can I find out more info about the life of ATCs, the career track, the career options, and the timeline it takes to go through training?

ATC looks like a great career and it looks like it would fit my personality very well (better than pilot or engineer anyway). If anyone can give any advice on how to start, it would be greatly appreciated. I was planning to start medical school in the fall (can you tell that I am trying to switch careers?), but given my love of aviation, I really don't think I can be a doctor, and I am interested in investigating this field and determining as quickly as possible if it would be viable and/or a recommended career for someone like me.

TIA!

Corrected vision has to be 20/20. So it sounds like you might not be able to puruse it anyways.

There are currently no open public applications, so right now the only possibility would be CTI or former military.

Corrected vision has to be 20/20. So it sounds like you might not be able to puruse it anyways.

There are currently no open public applications, so right now the only possibility would be CTI or former military.

In both eyes? I have 20/20 corrected in my left eye. I was told anecdotally that you only needed a third class (which I have).

Where do you find out if there are public applications or when they will be put up? How long do you generally have to apply after they are put up? Is there anything you need beforehand to apply (e.g., test scores, references, etc)?

Ask the medical question in the flight surgeon section. That is one amazing feature around here that is very helpful. It could be possible to get the waiver and get the medical, but I don't know; the flight surgeon (Dr. Forred) would know though and he is great about giving good information. Don't automatically count yourself out due to vision, waivers are given!

No one knows when/if there will be another public application. If you are really serious about this then I might suggest checking out CTI. I know a guy that got his CTI in 1 semester because he already had his Bachelors in aviation. He went to the CTI school in CA, so you could check that out as well. If you only had to attend for a semester or so it might be worth the money.

In both eyes? I have 20/20 corrected in my left eye. I was told anecdotally that you only needed a third class (which I have).

Where do you find out if there are public applications or when they will be put up? How long do you generally have to apply after they are put up? Is there anything you need beforehand to apply (e.g., test scores, references, etc)?
I've just heard 20/20 corrected. I would assume in both eyes, but I can't say I know for sure.

All jobs will be posted on the faa website...so you're looking in the right place. There are a lot of rumors as to when there might be another PUBNAT. There are also rumors that there will be no more public applications. Hard to say for sure, but if you keep up with the forums you'll def. find out when a new posting is made.

First you apply..then several months go by. If you pass their first basic qualifications(The last ones required a 4 year degree or 3 years progressive work experience) then you'll be invited to take the AT SAT. I think PUBNAT 7 may have only been 'open' for 1 week.

As far as needing anything else beforehand, I don't remember anything out of the ordinary. The initial application is pretty basic, work history, contact information, school history, pretty much the same stuff you'll see on any application.

Ask the medical question in the flight surgeon section. That is one amazing feature around here that is very helpful. It could be possible to get the waiver and get the medical, but I don't know; the flight surgeon (Dr. Forred) would know though and he is great about giving good information. Don't automatically count yourself out due to vision, waivers are given!

No one knows when/if there will be another public application. If you are really serious about this then I might suggest checking out CTI. I know a guy that got his CTI in 1 semester because he already had his Bachelors in aviation. He went to the CTI school in CA, so you could check that out as well. If you only had to attend for a semester or so it might be worth the money.

I was going to ask if I would have to do the 4-years all over again since I already had my B.S. That is good news. Is there anywhere you can take CTI classes online?

I've just heard 20/20 corrected. I would assume in both eyes, but I can't say I know for sure.

All jobs will be posted on the faa website...so you're looking in the right place. There are a lot of rumors as to when there might be another PUBNAT. There are also rumors that there will be no more public applications. Hard to say for sure, but if you keep up with the forums you'll def. find out when a new posting is made.

First you apply..then several months go by. If you pass their first basic qualifications(The last ones required a 4 year degree or 3 years progressive work experience) then you'll be invited to take the AT SAT. I think PUBNAT 7 may have only been 'open' for 1 week.

As far as needing anything else beforehand, I don't remember anything out of the ordinary. The initial application is pretty basic, work history, contact information, school history, pretty much the same stuff you'll see on any application.

What does the '7' mean after PUBNAT? Do you mean it was only accepting OTS applications for 1 week? What is the current rumor as to the next PUBNAT date? When was the last one?

I was going to ask if I would have to do the 4-years all over again since I already had my B.S. That is good news. Is there anywhere you can take CTI classes online?

I don't now about online but there are some AS programs as well that will produce the same result that we are all looking for. I have a bachelor's so just about anywhere you go most of your courses will transfer. You will need to make sure you complete the number of hours required to get a degree at the school you are attending, though.

I'm starting in the fall if I don't get picked up this round. I hope I'll be able to say that I just wasted a lot of time and application fees next month but we'll see.

What does the '7' mean after PUBNAT? Do you mean it was only accepting OTS applications for 1 week? What is the current rumor as to the next PUBNAT date? When was the last one?
There were 7 public applications in 2008. They were numbered PUBNAT1-7. And from what I recall, the application for 7 was only open for one week, meaning you had to apply during that one week time frame.

Pubnat 7 was in December last year. So it's been quite awhile since they had them now. Last year they come up on a pretty regular basis. 1 in Feb, 2 and 3 were both in May, 4 was in June, 5 was in July, 6 was in August and 7 was in Dec. There were also 2 separate ones for Alaska and Hawaii.

Rumors have placed the next pubnat pretty much every month this year so far. People say for sure June, but it was also for sure Feb and March. Others also say there will never be another public application. No one really knows until it gets posted.

Most common rumor currently is first week of July.

Also, the application process can take about 9 months - 2 years. That is not including the 3-4 months of academy training.

Regarding the medical bit... a second-class certificate is required. Based on anecdotal evidence from people here who have done their PEPC's (a day of tests, clearances, interviews, medical checks, etc. that applicants can elect to do to speed the process if selected for a particular facility), the vision test isn't particularly hard to pass, although some people have tripped up when it comes to the color-blindness check. Based on your description, I wouldn't expect your vision to be a barrier.

Of course, you could always go the traditional route and have your local AME do your test. If you had the same guy I use, he probably wouldn't even notice you had a lazy eye -- my second-class took all of five minutes, if that. Poke, prod, close one eye, close the other, turn that way, cough, take a leak, sign here, $75 please. Not, uh, that I would encourage skirting the requirements.

Regarding the medical bit... a second-class certificate is required. Based on anecdotal evidence from people here who have done their PEPC's (a day of tests, clearances, interviews, medical checks, etc. that applicants can elect to do to speed the process if selected for a particular facility), the vision test isn't particularly hard to pass, although some people have tripped up when it comes to the color-blindness check. Based on your description, I wouldn't expect your vision to be a barrier.

Of course, you could always go the traditional route and have your local AME do your test. If you had the same guy I use, he probably wouldn't even notice you had a lazy eye -- my second-class took all of five minutes, if that. Poke, prod, close one eye, close the other, turn that way, cough, take a leak, sign here, $75 please. Not, uh, that I would encourage skirting the requirements.

I'm confused. I just went over to the flight surgeon forum, and the doctor said that it had to be 20/20 in each eye, separately. I DO NOT have this is my right eye, which he said he thought would DQ, but didn't sound sure. I do not have any color vision issues.

But, is the vision exam part of the PEPC, or if you show up with a 2nd class already, you don't have to do it?

It doesn't make any sense because some people are saying it's a non-wavierable condition, whereas it's easy to get a 2nd class with a wavier (form 8500-7).

Does anybody know for sure if it's possible and likely to become an ATC with less than 20/20 corrected in one eye? Is it possible to get a wavier for this, and how do you do it? I need to know for sure that I am not going to have any medical issues before I throw away my med school acceptance now and hope for a PUBNAT in the near future.

Who is the correct authority to contact to get a definitive answer on this? If my vision is going to be a problem with this career, then I need to choose another career, and I need to do it now.

I'm confused. I just went over to the flight surgeon forum, and the doctor said that it had to be 20/20 in each eye, separately. I DO NOT have this is my right eye, which he said he thought would DQ, but didn't sound sure. I do not have any color vision issues.

But, is the vision exam part of the PEPC, or if you show up with a 2nd class already, you don't have to do it?

It doesn't make any sense because some people are saying it's a non-wavierable condition, whereas it's easy to get a 2nd class with a wavier (form 8500-7).

Does anybody know for sure if it's possible and likely to become an ATC with less than 20/20 corrected in one eye? Is it possible to get a wavier for this, and how do you do it? I need to know for sure that I am not going to have any medical issues before I throw away my med school acceptance now and hope for a PUBNAT in the near future.

Who is the correct authority to contact to get a definitive answer on this? If my vision is going to be a problem with this career, then I need to choose another career, and I need to do it now.

You need to contact your local flight surgeon. I went into the PEPC with a first class medical from my airline job, and they told me it wasn't applicable and I started a new second class from scratch.

You seem to be pretty excited about this, which is great, but I wouldn't look for definitive answers on this message board. Go to your local flight surgeon, since his office has to sign their name on your form.

You need to contact your local flight surgeon. I went into the PEPC with a first class medical from my airline job, and they told me it wasn't applicable and I started a new second class from scratch.

You seem to be pretty excited about this, which is great, but I wouldn't look for definitive answers on this message board. Go to your local flight surgeon, since his office has to sign their name on your form.

I'm still not clear on this. Is the medical done at PEPC or do you get it on your own before you come? Why did they not take your first class?

I'm still not clear on this. Is the medical done at PEPC or do you get it on your own before you come? Why did they not take your first class?

You do the medical at the PEPC. You fill out the 8500 form before you go just to have all of the info readily available (they won't even take the info from MedXpress, if you have used that before).

The NY regional flight surgeon explained to me they don't like using previously held medical clearances for FAA/ATC new hires, as crazy at it seems. You will have to start completely from scratch. Call your regional flight surgeon and get the info before you apply. It may very well save you a lot of time.

Contact your Regional Flight Surgeon. I did that with some questions I had regarding a previous medical condition and he was able to give me the information I needed.

They are the ones who make any decisions on such things, so they will def. be able to tell you if it will disqualify you or not. There are automatic disqualifications for certain medical issues, not having 20/20 vision could be one of them.

From what I gather the FAA will take only their own medical exams. Many military people even have to get new ones.

Here is contact information for the office you'll need to speak with.

WESTERN PACIFIC REGION
Arizona
Stephen H. Goodman, M.D.
Federal Aviation Administration
Aviation Medical Division
P.O. Box 92007
Los Angeles, California 90009-2007
(310) 725-3750, FAX (310) 725-6835
9-AWP-MEDICAL@faa.gov <9-AWP-MEDICAL@faa.gov>

(I have a lazy right eye with 20/40 best corrected vision)

Hey Atomic,

A friend of mine applied to an announcement awhile back and he had a lazy eye also. His was quite a bit worse than yours, but I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe 20/100 or something. Anyway, unfortunately he was medically disqualified for it.

I am not sure how much the decision would vary from region to region, but vision is something I would imagine they have a hard and fast DQ number in print somewhere. Contact your region and find out.

Best of luck to you!

Contact your Regional Flight Surgeon. I did that with some questions I had regarding a previous medical condition and he was able to give me the information I needed.

They are the ones who make any decisions on such things, so they will def. be able to tell you if it will disqualify you or not. There are automatic disqualifications for certain medical issues, not having 20/20 vision could be one of them.

From what I gather the FAA will take only their own medical exams. Many military people even have to get new ones.

Here is contact information for the office you'll need to speak with.

WESTERN PACIFIC REGION
Arizona
Stephen H. Goodman, M.D.
Federal Aviation Administration
Aviation Medical Division
P.O. Box 92007
Los Angeles, California 90009-2007
(310) 725-3750, FAX (310) 725-6835
9-AWP-MEDICAL@faa.gov <9-AWP-MEDICAL@faa.gov>

Thanks. Where did you find this information BTW?

Back