New Delhi, Indira Gandhi Airport.

Sandesh

Dear Fellow aviators,
I am going on a trip this summer and I have a 10 hours transit in New Delhi, Anybody been to that airport? and Is there any tips or advice? or any suggestion on things to do.

Help is greatly appreciated,
Sandesh

I've been there a fair share of times. Probably be back sometime this year again.

Tips or advise? Let's see.

First off, do you intend on leaving the airport or not? (Serious Question)

You will find that the airport is more like a bus station in a poor rural town, don't go expecting LAX or JFK.

Depending on the day 10 hours might be just enough time for you to successfully transfer to and catch your connecting flight. (That's not a joke)

If you head outside the airport there are a few simple rules to follow.

Don't go far. Travel takes 5 times longer in India then in most other places I have ever been (Except maybe N. Africa)

Take a STACK of $1 bills. They will go far! Don't worry so much about Rupees, just give people a couple of ones (Well, maybe a few now with the dollar where it is) and watch their face light up.

EVERYONE is a con man. Let me repeat, EVERYONE is a con man. Sounds cynical I know, but after you have spent some time there you will understand. As a foreigner you will be accosted the minute you step foot outside the terminal from everyone looking to handle your bag, to getting you a cab, to giving you a tour. Ask how much everything is up front. Indians love to haggle (I know, I married one :rolleyes:) and you can't go into a shop and buy so much as a pack of batteries without some sort of back and forth haggling, just be ready for it.

Don't give money to baggers. Without going into great detail just do yourself the favor, trust me.

New Delhi has a few U.S. chains, so you might feel a tiny bit at home. I normally don't say anything like stay away from local food because it sound a bit xenophobically closed minded, but be careful what you eat. I would say stay from fish if you can, everyone I know (Including myself) has gotten into big trouble consuming fish in India outside of a western style 5 star hotel.

Grab a taxi into downtown, a taxi not a tut-tut (Again, trust me). You could get over to Red Fort and have a look around, nice place for some photos and video. The airport is only about 10 or so miles away, if memory serves me.

In case you didn't already know, going to the Tai Mahal is not a possibility. I have never made it from New Delhi to Agra in less the about 5 hours, one way!

I'll ask my wife for some my info when she gets home. She grew up there, I just go to visit family.

Good luck.

KD

Having been there a few times in a different life, I have to agree with everything X said. If it is your first time through the region, I suspect that you will come away with a truly enlightened sense of your personal good fortune and respect for not just true poverty, but also the quiet dignity of man.

A couple of things to add. As was said, do not under any circumstances offer or give money to beggars. Especially the young women who will quietly tap at the car windows of the cab. Doing so will unleash a torrent of others that results in a mob scene around the car. The problem will be when the light changes, the cars will take off and if they hit folks they don't care. The caste system is alive and well.

Second...do not under any circumstances drink the local water. Period. End of statement. Do not use ice in your drink. Take bottles of water off the plane. Did I say do not drink the water?

Be careful with cabs, they can be crazy sometimes. One option may be to go to the Marriott or the Taj Palace for a meal and some downtime. They can arrange a car to meet you and the driver will be waiting outside customs with your name on a placard.

Above all, listen and learn. You'll be amazed at what you soak in!

Don't dominate on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" - You could find yourself in some serious trouble!

Dear Fellow aviators,
I am going on a trip this summer and I have a 10 hours transit in New Delhi, Anybody been to that airport? and Is there any tips or advice? or any suggestion on things to do.

Help is greatly appreciated,
Sandesh

Hope I'm not too late on this. First off, what time of day are you going to be in? I've been in India for the last 6 months and at least half I've been in Delhi. I just actually came from IGI (we have a flight today, its delayed due to weather at destination) so any specific questions just post or shoot me a PM.

The other posts are pretty true but they put such a negative spin on it. I LOVE Delhi, really its a great experience and place.

Now do you want the "Indian" experience or just something to pass the time?

Indian experience - get an autorickshaw, yes they are hot and loud, but comeon where else will you get a chance to be in one. Canaut place is a pretty decent tourist place. Bout 10-15 kms which will take you about an hour or so. If you go by taxi(if you do get an abassador, they're the classic looking cars), it will take longer. The autoricks are quicker through traffic. Anyhow Canaut has good "american" food ie McD's and KFC. There's a great place for Bison steak, and some decent Indian food. Also if you go there, walk till you hit the underground market. It's an eye opener and pretty cool. The whole place is a huge circle so hard to get lost.

Don't drink anything that's not sealed. I do quite often but I've been through the Delhi Diahrea, so no biggy but I bet its nothing you want.

Don't worry about getting your money switched but always ask how much in rupies. The change is easy 50 rupies = 1 buck. Now your going to get rapped anyway since you're coming from the airport but an autorick shouldn't cost more than 200 rupies and a taxi no more than 800 rupies.

Anything retail should have the MRP(max retail price) printed somewhere, it may be small but it's there. Sometimes they'll still try to ask for more but showing the price will shut them up.

People are pushy so don't be afraid to jump in front of people in line, force your way through. Remember your on top. On that note, introduce yourself as Captain .... It helps greatly.

Lastly have fun. India is a great experience and mostly they are friendly people. Yes they may try to rip you off but basically some of these people only make 50 rupies, 1 buck, a day so if they can get 25 more out of you it will help feed their family and whatnot. Tipping isn't expected, but even the smallest tip is a big thing. Don't pay the beggers, don't let them take your baggage cart. But again have fun.

When are you gonna be coming in? I'll be in Delhi on/off the next month due to elections. Wouldn't mind having an excuse for a good bison steak.

=Jason-

Hope I'm not too late on this. First off, what time of day are you going to be in? I've been in India for the last 6 months and at least half I've been in Delhi. I just actually came from IGI (we have a flight today, its delayed due to weather at destination) so any specific questions just post or shoot me a PM.

The other posts are pretty true but they put such a negative spin on it. I LOVE Delhi, really its a great experience and place.

Now do you want the "Indian" experience or just something to pass the time?

Indian experience - get an autorickshaw, yes they are hot and loud, but comeon where else will you get a chance to be in one. Canaut place is a pretty decent tourist place. Bout 10-15 kms which will take you about an hour or so. If you go by taxi(if you do get an abassador, they're the classic looking cars), it will take longer. The autoricks are quicker through traffic. Anyhow Canaut has good "american" food ie McD's and KFC. There's a great place for Bison steak, and some decent Indian food. Also if you go there, walk till you hit the underground market. It's an eye opener and pretty cool. The whole place is a huge circle so hard to get lost.

Don't drink anything that's not sealed. I do quite often but I've been through the Delhi Diahrea, so no biggy but I bet its nothing you want.

Don't worry about getting your money switched but always ask how much in rupies. The change is easy 50 rupies = 1 buck. Now your going to get rapped anyway since you're coming from the airport but an autorick shouldn't cost more than 200 rupies and a taxi no more than 800 rupies.

Anything retail should have the MRP(max retail price) printed somewhere, it may be small but it's there. Sometimes they'll still try to ask for more but showing the price will shut them up.

People are pushy so don't be afraid to jump in front of people in line, force your way through. Remember your on top. On that note, introduce yourself as Captain .... It helps greatly.

Lastly have fun. India is a great experience and mostly they are friendly people. Yes they may try to rip you off but basically some of these people only make 50 rupies, 1 buck, a day so if they can get 25 more out of you it will help feed their family and whatnot. Tipping isn't expected, but even the smallest tip is a big thing. Don't pay the beggers, don't let them take your baggage cart. But again have fun.

When are you gonna be coming in? I'll be in Delhi on/off the next month due to elections. Wouldn't mind having an excuse for a good bison steak.

=Jason-

I wouldn't say that we put a negative spin on anything, I think we were just trying to offer responsible advice.

I have, collectively, spent nearly a year in India between telco contracts and visits to see my wife's family, from Hyderabad to north of Delhi and most places in between. I like India as much as anyone else, but there are realities that deserve pointing out, and some of the realities are not 100% positive.

If he is only going to be there for 10 hours he is not going to get the true "Indian experience." Personally I think the idea of him taking a tut-tut from the airport as you suggested is not practical, and that is one reason I suggested against it.

You mentioned that you have been there for 6 months or so, how many road accidents/incidents have you encountered? Quite a few I bet. How many fatalities have you seen? I would guess a least a couple. The last thing I would like to think about is someone getting into a wreck in a tut and not being able to catch his flight in a few hours.

If he was going to be there for a while then hey, by all means do the true Indian deal, but for a short stay it is best to keep it simple.

I agree with the rest of your post, lots of good info.

One way or another I hope there is a good time to be had.

everything those guys said is dead on!

DO NOT Pay the beggars! DO NOT let them take ur bags! and yes EVERYONE is a con man!

when i went, i had a driver for a week, he was very nice! great guy very knowledgeable. then i got back to the states and got a letter from him a week later, "my car broke down can you wire me 5000$ so i can buy a new one and continue my business?" he was the nicest person i met there, and then he had to ruin my good impression of him with that.

also, don't drink the water or eat uncooked vegetables. i got super sick after i got back b/c i ate the veggies. i travel too much... i should know better! shame on me!

and yea, dehli airport is NUTS. if you think JFK or ORD is busy.. you aint seen nothin. india has 1.1 billion people, and i think half of them are at the dehli airport. entering india didnt take me that long, but getting back through customs INTO the airport took at least 2 hrs.

all that said, im really glad i went, but i dont need to go again. enjoy your 10 hrs.

I was in New Delhi Airport back in 2004. It was definitely a unique experience. Just be ready for the possibility of long lines. I remember we had a flight that left around 330am to Bangkok and when we arrived before midnight there was a line out the front door onto the street. We barely made the flight...and that involved skipping the line by tipping a gentlemen who brought us to the front of the airline check-in. It was funny to see him share his tip with the security at the front door so we could bypass the line. Very different than American airports!

For a period of time I was seeing a dead guy a week in Chennai. I've seen a bus mow down a guy on a motorcycle. Really though ur just as much in risk in a taxi. I did have the front wheel fall off an autorick in Lucknow last week. Pretty funny the driver fell out and got ran over by the rick. GF didn't think it was too funny though. The igi terminal has been greatly improved even since I've been here. New domestic and international terminals very nice looking. Very easy to cut lines I get that "service" all the time when I go through with my company.
=Jason-

Back