Dog transport question

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
I'll have a border collie with me on a trip tomorrow for about 2-hours. She'll be in a crate in the back seat. Should I expect my plane to smell like dog afterwards? I was thinking of putting a thick blanket beneath it, and perhaps wrapping a blanket around the entire crate to try and alleviate some of the hair. Any advice? Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, it's a Skyhawk

If airplanes are anything like cars, it going smell like a dog afterward. I found that a few generous shots of Febreze does the trick.

If that doesn't work, try spraying some of it around inside the plane. (j/k)

I wouldn't think it'd smell like dog, but I would try and eliminate the shedding if I were you. If your comfortable with it, just leave the windows open for a while afterwards and it shouldn't be a problem.

Consider some ear protection for the dog! :panic::panic::panic:

If I had had more time I definitely would have wanted to get some mutt muffs. This is a rescue flight - taking him to a rescue group in Tampa Bay. I'm hoping that if I wrap the crate with a comforter, it might reduce some of the sound.

I'd be carefull about wrapping the crate. You will probably be better off keeping the dog reasonably cool. Also you want to put down some platic bags on the seat and then cover the seats with some blanket just in case the cage doesn't contain any accidents by the dog.

The smell shouldn't be too bad. Just air the plane out on the way back and OZIUM works way better than Febreeze. Ozium is sold at most automotive stores and FBO.

I've used it in the Saab and it actually can kill the smell of puke. Good stuff.

I'd be carefull about wrapping the crate. You will probably be better off keeping the dog reasonably cool.

That, and who knows, the dog might actually want to look around for a bit. I know my Lab loves to fly (she has only been twice though) and she sits up and looks around until we are about 1000 feet then lays down and goes to sleep.

I'd be carefull about wrapping the crate. You will probably be better off keeping the dog reasonably cool. Also you want to put down some platic bags on the seat and then cover the seats with some blanket just in case the cage doesn't contain any accidents by the dog.

The smell shouldn't be too bad. Just air the plane out on the way back and OZIUM works way better than Febreeze. Ozium is sold at most automotive stores and FBO.

I've used it in the Saab and it actually can kill the smell of puke. Good stuff.

I went out to the plane today and discovered that the crate will fit perfectly (without an inch to spare) in the cargo area. This is great because it means I can load/unload the pup from the cargo door. Bad news is that the sun will come down from the back window (will be flying around noon). I may be better off at least throwing something over the top to block the sun - the crate has a mesh top.

That, and who knows, the dog might actually want to look around for a bit. I know my Lab loves to fly (she has only been twice though) and she sits up and looks around until we are about 1000 feet then lays down and goes to sleep.

Yeah, she probably won't be able to see much from her crate - and since I'm going solo, no way to let her out for a bit.

Back