jumpseat question

Boris Badenov

This is no laughing matter.
is it generally frowned upon to buy a ticket, arrive at the airport, find out the plane is half empty, cancel your ticket and non-rev? I asume the answer is a resounding 'yes', but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hey bud,

A few years ago a certain home-based (thus not mine) cargo outfit was buying their crews tickets. The crews did what you suggested, and the company got slapped on the peepee pretty good since the jumpseat is not for business use.

In addition to that, to jumpseat one must: Shave, comb hair, wear appropriate clothing, carry one's own bag, and not consume any liquor.

I did this by accident with SWA. I called to buy a ticket for my wife and I asked about the loads. They ended up "reserving" me a ticket (but didn't put it thru on my CC). I got to the airport to jumpseat and they said I couldn't because I had reserved a seat. I ended up buying the ticket right there. Just an FYI.

is it generally frowned upon to buy a ticket, arrive at the airport, find out the plane is half empty, cancel your ticket and non-rev? I asume the answer is a resounding 'yes', but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Are you talking about jumpseating or non-revving? You mention them both, but they are not the same thing.

If you are jumpseating, as long as you bought the ticket and are going somewhere for pleasure, (not work related,) then it should be fine. If however, your company bought you a ticket to go somewhere to work, and you decide to cash the ticket in and pocket the cash or give it back to your employer, then that is not fine. You could lose your company's access to the jumpseat.

Using a paid ticket vis NRing has nothing to do with jumpseating.

right. my situation is a little odd, since its 'jumpseating' in the computer, but we can't actually ride in the jumpseat because we're not in cass. so whatever that is is what I'm doing. I went ahead and used the ticket because I'm afraid I'd wind up getting 'wheelsupped' and I've got to get on since my recurrent checkride is tonight (ahhhhh!). good to know for the future though. this all personal travel, btw. thanks.

I know at CAL this is a no-no, since you are essentially tying up a revenue seat. When you cancel and get your refund, the airline is left with an empty seat that they never had a chance to sell. It's bad juju that can get your JA revoked.

It really has othing to do with jumpseat ettiquette per se, but it could lead to bad things if the airline you're doing this on somehow catches wind of it. I certainly wouldn't try it on the airline I worked for.

right. my situation is a little odd, since its 'jumpseating' in the computer, but we can't actually ride in the jumpseat because we're not in cass. so whatever that is is what I'm doing.

You are jumpseating, even though you aren't in CASS and are sitting in the back. (Remember to ask the captain for the ride!;))

I went ahead and used the ticket because I'm afraid I'd wind up getting 'wheelsupped' and I've got to get on since my recurrent checkride is tonight (ahhhhh!). good to know for the future though. this all personal travel, btw. thanks.

So you are a commuter and the company does not provide travel to/from training events? Then it is the same as a regular commute and you can jumpseat. Good luck tonight.

no I live in base and just took a very poorly timed vacation. just curious about the 'ethics' of this situation. I can see both sides, eg. if there are open seats obviously I'm not taking up a seat that would have sold, but on the other hand, I prevented it from even having a chance of being sold which could conceivaably changed the price structure or something. is there any published guidance on this sort of thing?

When I was at NWA, it was strictly prohibited. If you bought a refundable ticket, then found out there were seats available and canceled you stood the chance of losing your non-rev privileges.

Could you do it? Yes.

Is it worth trying? Absolutely not.

Check the loads and if it's close, buy the ticket and forget about it.

When I was at NWA, it was strictly prohibited. If you bought a refundable ticket, then found out there were seats available and canceled you stood the chance of losing your non-rev privileges.

Same here at Southernjets.

Heck, I think they'll even try to fire you.

If you do it, make sure you buy a refundable first class seat, cancel at the last minute so you can non-rev home for the last time in First.

Back