Interior lighting help

Sprint100

What is better in night flying for reading maps, etc. in the cockpit red or white light? Is one color superior so I only have to deck out my interior with one color of illumination, should I go with both colors, or another color altogether?

Red will preserve your night vision, but it washes out all the chart colors. Dim white light is good for viewing charts, but washes out your night vision.

Yep. I prefer red with a little dim white flashlight for anything else.

The planes I fly have a red overhead light that I just leave on continuously (obviously), and I can still see great even with it on.

What is better in night flying for reading maps, etc. in the cockpit red or white light? Is one color superior so I only have to deck out my interior with one color of illumination, should I go with both colors, or another color altogether?
Green or blue lights work best. Thanks US Mil, Sportys does offer some products with that but they are getting harder and harder to find. Why don't people just move on to the green or blue?

Meh. I just use the overheads and the yoke light. They're bright, white, and don't make me get out the bifocals. 30 minutes for paperwork, 30 minutes to readjust enough to dodge the RJs scattering out of Widgetville like someone kicked over a dead DC-9.

Meh. I just use the overheads and the yoke light. They're bright, white, and don't make me get out the bifocals. 30 minutes for paperwork, 30 minutes to readjust enough to dodge the RJs scattering out of Widgetville like someone kicked over a dead DC-9.

That made me laugh out loud.

I prefer the green light as well. I've got a 2 D-cell flashlight that I picked up at the Army surplus store for about $12. It has a clip on it that you can hook on your seatbelt and has a 90degree tilt lens. Oh and It comes with the red, blue and clear lens too.

Back