Is it hard to get selected for Puerto Rico or Guam?

Anyone with any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

I've been specifically told that Oakland, Alaska and Guam are ALWAYS in need of people! This concerns En Route anyways. So if you want Guam you would get in for sure unless you bomb the AT-SAT I would imagine!

I've been specifically told that Oakland, Alaska and Guam are ALWAYS in need of people! This concerns En Route anyways. So if you want Guam you would get in for sure unless you bomb the AT-SAT I would imagine!

i agree.

i cant imagine that guam gets very many applicants.

I don't believe Puerto Rico is in need right now. I scored a 99 and selected ZSU as my number one geo preference and did not recieve an offer for there.

I don't believe Puerto Rico is in need right now. I scored a 99 and selected ZSU as my number one geo preference and did not recieve an offer for there.

What is the cost of living like in Guam? I imagine that you would have a lot of disposable income as an ATC there.

There's some pretty readily available information about living in/moving to Guam on the interwebz. I was kicking around the idea till I read up a little on the island.

Don't you mean SJU? I recently selected PR on my PUBNAT geo preferences. I scored low on the ATSAT. I wonder if I wasted my vote.

Guam Center just got two new people maybe a month and a half ago, my roommate is from Guam and we finish up the middle of May. As well there is one other person here from Guam at the moment that's behind him somewhere in the process..... But most people do not ask for Guam so its easier then most areas since the hiring pool is smaller.

All I know is I put in the comments section of my Geo Prefs that I would not be averse to going to Guam, and now that's where I'm going (it was not my first or second choice). I'm pretty excited to be going to Guam :nana2: Just another opportunity to live somewhere different from the norm.

All I know is I put in the comments section of my Geo Prefs that I would not be averse to going to Guam, and now that's where I'm going (it was not my first or second choice). I'm pretty excited to be going to Guam :nana2: Just another opportunity to live somewhere different from the norm.

Does guam have a Center or is it just a tower and maybe tracon??

Just the guy who goes out on the runway and waves those orange sticks. The rest of the time he drinks pina coladas in a little shack. It's a pretty easy gig, really.
People are coming into my office because of you Rosstafari. Just about every post I've read has made me laugh out loud.

I've talked to three Guam-bound people, and I've been at the academy for two days. Only Alaska bound I know is the guy who sits next to me, and he's stoked to be going there... why, I'll never understand.

I'd say if you don't MIND the idea of Guam/Oakland/Alaska en-route, and you want a good shot at getting picked up, do it. And just list in your comments "willing to go anywhere." :)

I've talked to three Guam-bound people, and I've been at the academy for two days. Only Alaska bound I know is the guy who sits next to me, and he's stoked to be going there... why, I'll never understand.

I'd say if you don't MIND the idea of Guam/Oakland/Alaska en-route, and you want a good shot at getting picked up, do it. And just list in your comments "willing to go anywhere." :)

Id love to go to Guam. My only thing is I wouldnt want to stay there for my entire career. Is it hard to transfer out of Guam back to some where in the states?

Also, where is this Oakland place you speak of? Are you talking about oakland in CA?

Thanks!

Well I got selected for puerto rico on pubnat 4 with a 93 on my atsat. About a week after I got me pepc invite i got orders to iraq, soo im sure there is at least one opening there.

Well I got selected for puerto rico on pubnat 4 with a 93 on my atsat. About a week after I got me pepc invite i got orders to iraq, soo im sure there is at least one opening there.

So you had previous military experience, I presume? If so, you're the first person I know of that officially was given an invite to SJU. I've been trying since last year to no avail. Then again, I only got a 72.

Military preference along with a high score...no wonder you were selected. Consider me officially jealous.

Id love to go to Guam. My only thing is I wouldnt want to stay there for my entire career. Is it hard to transfer out of Guam back to some where in the states?

Also, where is this Oakland place you speak of? Are you talking about oakland in CA?

Thanks!

lol, if you want to go to Guam, do it - but be prepared to be harassed and belittled by your classmates on a daily basis. We've already started a whole string of "is bigger than Guam" jokes (similar to the inverse of Chuck Norris jokes).

lol, if you want to go to Guam, do it - but be prepared to be harassed and belittled by your classmates on a daily basis. We've already started a whole string of "is bigger than Guam" jokes (similar to the inverse of Chuck Norris jokes).

lol. I hear ya! The only way I would go to Guam is if I could some how be assured I could transfer back. Not too interested in staying there for too long. But, for a short time I think it would be a good experience. And im sure im not going to get any assurances that I can trasfer back. So, obviously, I wont be picking Guam anytime soon.

Back