Touring a facility

spades9048

I searched the forums so if this has been answered already then I apologize. If you want to tour a facility is there a schedule, just show up, call ahead, etc? Specifically, I want to visit Atlanta.

Call ahead. If you specify Atlanta Center, TRACON or Tower I believe there are people here who can turn you in the direction of contact info.

its illegal to visit a facility now
It isn't illegal if you bring food! I'll let anyone sit with me for a day if they bring food (this will remain a standing offer to anyone going to a stand alone TRACON. Bring grub and I'll give you a solid tour). The whole class trip full of 7 year olds breathing down my neck though, I'm not a huge fan of personally.

Feel free to PM me for my facility's prefered grub.

That is not true. I have visited multiple facilities over the last few months by just calling and asking to arrange a visit and every time they were very welcoming. I never had an issue with anyone. Call and ask, the worst that happens is they say they are too busy or unable to do it for whatever reason. I used NATCA reps to get into alot of facilities as initial contact points, and some facilities I called and asked for the ATM since he/she usually needs to approve it no matter who you talk to.

It depends on the facility. I know some facilities flatly do NOT allow it at all. Others allow it and/or encourage it. Some facilities it depends solely on the day and the mood of the person that okays the tours!

I know that there is someone on here that helps get the pilots on here a tour of the Vegas Tower every year.

I also know that my husband was denied SEVERAL times in Salt Lake in requesting a tour of the center (but the Tower had said he could get a tour). I finally just got a hold of the right person and was able to get him in. I told another person on here that wanted to tour ZLC how I had done it. He did the same thing and was told no he can't get a tour. There was no real rhyme or reason for it all!

Ive toured the denver center several times. And am in the process of getting a tour of denver tour and tracon and is looking promising.

But, I know the denver tour guy i talked was saying theyve been having trouble with getting clearances for guest to come in. He said they would have it cleared up soon, tho.

I dont know what its like for other facilitys.

Who told you that? I've been to 3 facilities in the past year, if you don't count my local control tower (contract). It is just a matter of contacting someone there and setting it up. You'll be asked to show ID and sign in at the guard shack, but there's nothing that prohibits a US citizen from touring an ATC facility.

My only guess is that some ATMs interpret some of the security standards differently and have come to their own conclusion that tours are not allowed.

My facility (ZME) was very accommodating. I set it up through their training department. They simply asked how many people would be with me, and told me who to ask for when I arrived. I was there for the better part of two hours.

I tried to visit a facility earlier this year. Even flew out to Utah to go. The morning of my visit they informed me that I would not be allowed to come in, and that they only allow family members of current employees to visit the facility. It had previously been approved which is why I even went, but someone changed their mind at the last minute.

I know a lot of people have had luck getting tours...I was not so fortunate.

I tried to visit a facility earlier this year. Even flew out to Utah to go. The morning of my visit they informed me that I would not be allowed to come in, and that they only allow family members of current employees to visit the facility. It had previously been approved which is why I even went, but someone changed their mind at the last minute.

I know a lot of people have had luck getting tours...I was not so fortunate.

I'm touring mine on Wednesday. I just called and spoke to the Air Traffic Manager

I'm touring mine on Wednesday. I just called and spoke to the Air Traffic Manager
I did not have a TOL or anything like that....just trying to network at a facility I was interested in. No luck though. Perhaps if I get an offer I'll be able to go for real this time.

I did not have a TOL or anything like that....just trying to network at a facility I was interested in. No luck though. Perhaps if I get an offer I'll be able to go for real this time.

Keep trying -- I called the ARTCC twice today and no one answered. I called the TRACON and got setup to tour them.

Keep trying -- I called the ARTCC twice today and no one answered. I called the TRACON and got setup to tour them.

I had approval from management at one point. It's not as if I could not get a hold of anybody. I was told a tour would not be a problem, etc. So I flew out there to check the place out. I received a call about 15-20 min prior to the time I was going to leave. I was told no dice, and not to bother coming :(

Apparently the first manager didn't feel it would be a problem for a potential prospective employee to come visit. However several days later another manager overruled them.

If it makes you feel any better ZLC has turned down tours to people that have a TOL in hand for ZLC.

If it makes you feel any better ZLC has turned down tours to people that have a TOL in hand for ZLC.

Maybe the ATM is former management with the TSA. That sounds like something that someone in that bone-headed organization would do.

On another note, has your husband heard anything about ERAM holding up his training once he gets to his facility?

Back