What's next?

HVYMETALDRVR

Watching CNN a few minutes ago and Cafferty was talking about the problems airlines have been having and heard some predictable but interesting things. In 2007 airline travel in the United States was at 770 million and it had dropped to 740 million in 2008... no surprise there, last year almost 1/3 of all flights were late in the United States... no surprise there either but the kicker was the fees airlines are charging to make money. Apparantly Dublin based Ryanair asked Boeing to design the toilets in such a way that you must pay and swipe a credit card to lift the seat. To which Cafferty quipped, "it will work great until people start using the aisles!"

I love this industry!:rawk:

US airlines don't have to make money. They go in the red for a few years, management brings them back to the black and get a few bonuses. Then repeat every few years.

I've read through some of the airline complaint websites, and one of the common phrases I see is, "I am never flying [insert airline name] again!". The problem with this, is that the airlines don't technically lose business. Some other passenger, having a problem, on another airline, will not fly that airline again, but fly the airline someone else won't fly, and vice-versa.

The point is that for the longest, the airlines could get away with delays, losing baggage, and poor customer service, because people would still fly, they woud just move from one airline, to the other. Now, as delays become more and more, lost baggage becomes a greater occurance, poor service becomes worse, and the advent of fees that were once a free service, such as baggage, and an increase in other fees, I personally know quite a few people who are choosing not to fly, but rather, drive.

My worry, is that we aren't just seeing a decrease in passengers, due to the economy, but people are finally deciding not to fly, because it has become such a horrible experience.

I personally know quite a few people who are choosing not to fly, but rather, drive.

That will only work up to a point. Driving from say LAX to LGA would take someone really POd at the airlines. Not saying I haven't done it, but as a teenager in a convertible, it's a little different than being a POd passenger.

I've read through some of the airline complaint websites, and one of the common phrases I see is, "I am never flying [insert airline name] again!". The problem with this, is that the airlines don't technically lose business. Some other passenger, having a problem, on another airline, will not fly that airline again, but fly the airline someone else won't fly, and vice-versa.

Two words: code share. Person says "I'm never flying Continental airlines again! EVER!" Two weeks later, same person comes in, proceeds to the NWA ticket counter, then is directed to check in for his CONTINENTAL flight to EWR. Oops. Just b/c you bought a ticket on one carrier's web site doesn't mean you're flying on THAT carrier......

Price is a factor too, unless the service is thaattt BAD even if theres no pretzels or drinks and the ride is bumpy people will go a loonnggg way to save a buck.

That will only work up to a point. Driving from say LAX to LGA would take someone really POd at the airlines. Not saying I haven't done it, but as a teenager in a convertible, it's a little different than being a POd passenger.

You are right. People will continue to fly when they have to. But, I see people on a regular basis, flying to destinations that they could drive to, and it wouldn't take them much longer, than flying, when you throw in connections, etc. If airline service doesn't improve, I'm afraid we will begin seeing a decline in passenger traffic, resulting from people not wanting to fly, regardless of the economy.

kellwolf said:
Two words: code share. Person says "I'm never flying Continental airlines again! EVER!" Two weeks later, same person comes in, proceeds to the NWA ticket counter, then is directed to check in for his CONTINENTAL flight to EWR. Oops. Just b/c you bought a ticket on one carrier's web site doesn't mean you're flying on THAT carrier......
LOL. That is exactly right. In fact, when people say, "I am never flying this airline again", I want to turn around, point to the sign that lists all of the partners, and say, don't fly those airlines either.

US Airways seems to be going to great lengths to increase their customer service recently. 80%+ on time for 2008 which was the highest of all the majors I believe (check their press release for info). They religiously scan every single piece of baggage that is loaded and unloaded, that is something I have never seen before.

It seems flying is a dreadful experience these days. I don't know why airlines don't invest in their hub terminals more. Make them more pleasing. Free internet. Kids play areas to keep them busy. Bring in some vendors who can set up video game consoles for rent for cheap. At the gate it would be sweet to see a TV with your airplane located on it, showing where it is coming from (like flightaware but real time). I think the biggest frustrations with passengers are 1) they can't control what happens and 2) they aren't kept in the loop when stuff goes awry.

Although all the above comes at a cost, and really what people want is to get to their destination on time with their bags, while being treated like humans.

At the gate it would be sweet to see a TV with your airplane located on it, showing where it is coming from (like flightaware but real time).

You mean a map of the plane sitting in the hangar and then an airport diagram of it taxiing to the gate 1 hour late? Haha

Delta does that, actually. Even has the standby list on there. If you're cleared, no need to talk to the gate agent. Go and get your standby boarding pass scanned and the gate and it prints out a slip with what seat you're in on it!

Gives you weather at your departure and destination, next plane to the gate, where your plane is coming from, when it'll show up. Oh and when people are jumping off the plane, it updates connections for them right there.

Delta does that, actually. Even has the standby list on there. If you're cleared, no need to talk to the gate agent. Go and get your standby boarding pass scanned and the gate and it prints out a slip with what seat you're in on it!

Gives you weather at your departure and destination, next plane to the gate, where your plane is coming from, when it'll show up. Oh and when people are jumping off the plane, it updates connections for them right there.

This setup at ATL is sweet! I *think* the Delta terminal at LGA has it as well. It's definitely a nice feature.

Back